A pair of Aussie Kittyhawks

Here's a couple of P-40 Kittyhawk's I did for the current ANZAC GB.

Both OOB SH kits, apart from Xtradecal markings used for Kittyhawk IV. Both beautifully produced kits which went together with no problems apart from the  open canopy on the Mk.1A which didn't fit well, I managed to split it as it's that thinly moulded but that's to do with my cack-handedness.

Vallejo ModelAir paint used throughout with, for the first time, Humbrol Decal setting solution which worked really well. 'Klear' Gloss coat and Vallejo Matt varnish airbrushed to finish.

Very minimal weathering as usual for me.

Comments and critique welcome.

Davey.

Kittyhawk Mk.1A, 'Orace', 75 Sqn. RAAF, 1943, New Guinea.

I lost most of the port side 'Orace' decal! So painted in the rest.

For some reason took less photo's as well :shrug:

DSC_0017 DSC_0014 DSC_0012 DSC_0011

Kittyhawk Mk.IV, 450 Sqn. RAAF, Italy, 1944.

DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0005 DSC_0006 DSC_0008 DSC_0009 DSC_0010

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

A beautiful pair of Kittyhawks. 👍 The colors look perfect. 

Thanks. The Mk.1A specified Dupont colours. The Dark Green was Vallejo RAF Dark Green which I think is a bit too Dark, the Dark Earth was Vallejo 71.029 Dark Earth which is a darker shade than their RAF Dark Earth so went with those two. The Mk.IV is the same Dark Green lightened with US Forest Green over RAF Dark Earth which is lighter than the previously mentioned one. Hope this makes sense, I never worry about shades of paint, just happy with the contrast between the two aircraft.

Davey.

14 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Thanks. The Mk.1A specified Dupont colours. The Dark Green was Vallejo RAF Dark Green which I think is a bit too Dark, the Dark Earth was Vallejo 71.029 Dark Earth which is a darker shade than their RAF Dark Earth so went with those two. The Mk.IV is the same Dark Green lightened with US Forest Green over RAF Dark Earth which is lighter than the previously mentioned one. Hope this makes sense, I never worry about shades of paint, just happy with the contrast between the two aircraft.

Davey.

It is nice to see that they turned out so well. I recently acquired a set of Vallejo Model Air colors for RAF/Lend Lease Aircraft and now I am looking forward to apply it on my own Kittyhawks.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

It is nice to see that they turned out so well. I recently acquired a set of Vallejo Model Air colors for RAF/Lend Lease Aircraft and now I am looking forward to apply it on my own Kittyhawks.

Thanks for looking in.

I bought a couple of Vallejo ModelAir RAF/FAA colours set as well, it didn't actually have the RAF BS241 and 450, they had USAF Olive Drab and another Dark Earth colour which I did , and have used, just for variation as I'm sure were differences in depth and shade throughout the war, depending on who blended and thinned the colours before spraying and in manufacture of the paint.

Davey.

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh boy they look wonderful  lovely schemes and finish .

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris. The fact that they built up with no problems, everything clicking in to place with little clean-up, made them a pleasure to build and paint.

Davey.

• Like 1