Bachmann reboxing Aoshima Thunderbird kits for the European market

A quick heads up, as the title says Bachmann are reboxing and selling the Aoshima Thunderbird kits in Europe, under the Adventures in Plastic moniker.  The range include a large scale Mole , Fireflash and FAB 1 along with your favourite 5. No Thunderbird 6 tho' 😉

Fill your boots

Tommo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• The Tomohawk Kid changed the title to Bachmann reboxing Aoshima Thunderbird kits for the European market

Thunderbird 1

Thunderbird 3

Thunderbird 4

Fireflash

The Mole

All  the above all relatively new toolings and very good they are too.

-----

Thunderbird 5 received a major overhaul with additional sprues to replace the more 'clunky parts' parts of the original kit including a new accurate gravity ring. It also includes all the parts to motorise  it and light it. The space station slowly rotates on the stand and the radar spins as well. The Aoshima iteration included a lighting kit, but not the motor which needed to be bought separately, but is relatively cheap at a couple quid. It will be interesting see if the the AiP version comes with lighting kit, but just shy of 80 spondulaks one would hope so. It was possible to motorise the Mole kit too. but if memory serves that needs two motors one for the drill bit and the other for the tracks.

This is good news to have  these kits relatively easily available without the addition of significant international shipping costs.

Tommo.

Hello Tommo,

Saw about these on the Rails of Sheffield website this lunchtime and started a thread in Sci-Fi.

Good news about the tooling quality, looks like T1 and T3 will be coming home soon😀.

Just for old times sake of course, my original modes have long been landfill.

Thanks for your update.

Nigel.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AT7GMK said:

Hello Tommo,

Saw about these on the Rails of Sheffield website

Nigel.

It looks like Bachmann are using their existing 'model 'rail' distribution network to kickstart getting these kits out - I would imagine we are going to see them for sale at other outlets soon. I was surprised that Jamie Anderson's Gerry Anderson Store didn't get the inside skinny on these. But, I'm sure they will be showing in stock/pre-order soon enough.

Tommo.

• Like 1

Bachmann are saying today that they will start shipping these to retailers from March 15th in a bid to get them to stores for the planned opening of non-essential stores on April 12th.

I'm expecting the demand to be high for a couple of models in particular  ( Mole and TB2)

The launchbay diorama's look really awesome.

54 minutes ago, Test Valley Models said:

I'm expecting the demand to be high for a couple of models in particular  ( Mole and TB2)

The launchbay diorama's look really awesome.

I have the Thunderbird 1 and Thunderbird 3 launch dioramas from when they were last released by Aoshima. In all honesty the TB1 one is underwhelming as it is made up of a lot of printed card stock and small bespoke 1:350 TB1, not the 1:144 one which is available seperately and makes up into fantastic model and is easily one of the best TB1 kits ever made. On the other hand the TB3 launch silo dio is fantastic as it includes the highly rated 1:350 TB3, which is available as a seperate kit in this range. However, it appears AiP/Bachmann have decided against releasing the TB3 launch silo kit for moment, which is a shame.

The Mole is a fantastic kit with many features/poses and diorama possibilities are nigh on endless, it an impressive size too, as you mention it should sell well. I don't have the TB2 dio or seperate so can't comment on either, likewise with TB4, but I have heard and read good things about it.

My personal favourite is the TB5 kit, as the retooling and additional parts really does set it apart. I would expect Fireflash (the Worlds most unluckiest airliner) to be a good seller too, but it makes deceptively small model in the chosen scale.

I would say extremely unexpected, but very welcome news.

Tommo.

Thanks for the nod @Andy Moore! Kallisti of this parish has built most (all?) of these as well. Lovely that these are going to be widely available again.

I loved building the Mole, not least because it's motorised like it's the '80s again. It does indeed use two motors, but only one set of batteries as there are sprung contacts to supply power from the Mole to the carrier. It even has a flashing light on top, actuated by a cam rather than any of your new-fangled transistor things 😛

7147368257_9a37b39205_b.jpg

I got mine from some very dubious looking website overseas and it had the motors in it, but they're just Mabuchi FA-130 motors so should be easy enough to track down.

Will

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Will Vale said:

but they're just Mabuchi FA-130 motors so should be easy enough to track down.

Will

Absolutely.

It will be however, interesting to see if Bachmann start selling the motors seperately, or will they be included in the kits? I can't see the later, as I have a vague recollection because they are classed as toys they can't. But, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong/corrected on that.

Tommo.

16 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Well, that's fab news.

Well played Sir, well played indeed.

Edited by NAVY870
Spelling
  • Like 1

Its interesting to note that the prices are broadly similiar to when the Aoshima kits were last available on import here in Blighty a few years back. The big difference this time around will be the availability.

I'm personally of the opinion the sizes are nice, with the possible exception of Fireflash - that would have been nice if it was a little larger. But, hey! It is nice to have them on the shelf again and easily obtainable.

Tommo.

I recieved an eMail from the Anderson Store, alluding they are close to selling out on pre-order. Sounds like they may have been late to the party and only obtained limited qualities to me. But, I thought it was worth passing on, just in case.

Tommo.

Great news, TB1 duly ordered and arriving soon. The only other I have is the Fireflash, I agree, a tad on the small side (1/200th would have been nice), but still a great little kit. It's a shame they didn't continue the range with a few guest vehicles such as the Crablogger, R.T.L 2, Gray & Houseman Road Construction vehicle, Sentinel strike vessel or my favourite, the Sidewinder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

It's a shame they didn't continue the range with a few guest vehicles such as the Crablogger, R.T.L 2, Gray & Houseman Road Construction vehicle, Sentinel strike vessel or my favourite, the Sidewinder.

Too niche even for Aoshima I suspect, given they only appeared in one episode each. Fireflash at least appears in two and is ever present in both. I would have thought the 'helijet' in a decent size might have been an option as it is a recurring vehicle in various episodes. But, I'm sure if they were going to kit it, they would have done so by now.

It will be interesting where Bachmann take this range in the future, if they do at all - given they have cherry picked the best of Aoshima's TB range, save the TB-3 launch silo - which would be worth them re-issuing.

That said, from what I can make out, it looks like it has been an overwhelming success for Bachmann.

Tommo.

Just to say these are all fabulous kits, I've built pretty much all of them except FAB1 and TB5

Check the links in my profile to previous build: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/7869-kallisti/&tab=field_core_pfield_11

Some pics from the past:

DSCF8052.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_2759.JPG

DSC_4680.JPG

DSC_1411.JPG

DSC_2661.JPG

DSC_6267_001.JPG

• Like 9