Sd.Kfz. 184 FERDINAND KURSK 1943 Dragon No. 6495 1:35

This started life in 2014 just before I relocated home and the build work was finally completed in 2017 when I had a permanent bench to go to.  Since then, it has been primered, the base coat laid down, satin coat varnished, decals added, and pin washed.  I have just started the first stage of weathering with oils and started Sabre models 80T six axle platform https://www.sabremodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53 which it will sit on.

spacer.png

This is unquestionably a Dragon kit produced when they were at the top of their game. Detail is excellent as is the engineering. There is a huge amount of photoetch with the option to build the fenders in PE.  Fantastic for adding a little damage.  The kit individual links are also good, but I had already purchased a set of Masterclub tracks (MTL35004) which really add to the build.  It's been a while but fairly sure the tow cables are from Eureka

Some progress pics so far

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 14

Welcome Kelscale, that really is very nice indeed and a subject i hope to do this year at some point ......the weathering is very subtle and beautifully applied build quality is equally as good.

I notice on the last pic she is on a rail car ......for a diorama possibly?

:post1:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Welcome Kelscale, that really is very nice indeed and a subject i hope to do this year at some point ......the weathering is very subtle and beautifully applied build quality is equally as good.

I notice on the last pic she is on a rail car ......for a diorama possibly?

:post1:

Cheers M3talpig. Yes, that's the plan.  On its way to the front, sat on the wagen just after a bombing raid.  This will account for the lack of field applied camo and the damage. Link to the Sabre flat car in the first paragraph.  The Flatcar is a more involved build and has just as much etch as the Ferdinand but slowly getting there

Edited by Kelscale
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kelscale said:

Cheers M3talpig. Yes, that's the plan.  On its way to the front, sat on the wagen just after a bombing raid.  This will account for the lack of field applied camo and the damage. Link to the Sabre flat car in the first paragraph.  The Flatcar is a more involved build and has just as much etch as the Ferdinand but slowly getting there

Was looking at those Sabre flatcars a few weeks ago ....had in mind doing two Tigers from the 502nd on there way to the Leningrad sector but that would be a monster diorama and i just don't have the space.......so i will live out that fantasy by watching this come together ....if ya don't mind...as i said really impressive so far bud.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Was looking at those Sabre flatcars a few weeks ago ....had in mind doing two Tigers from the 502nd on there way to the Leningrad sector but that would be a monster diorama and i just don't have the space.......so i will live out that fantasy by watching this come together ....if ya don't mind...as i said really impressive so far bud.

That would be a giant sized dio indeed.  I'm still wondering where I will keep this one once complete 🤪

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Fantastic build and paint job. I started the earlier Dragon Ferdinand and although still good, the details are a bit woolly. Good luck with the rest of it. 👍

Cheers for the kind words Stef N.  I seem to remember reading this review http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/german/dml6465reviewcs_1.html so I did lucky with this choice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelscale said:

Cheers for the kind words Stef N.  I seem to remember reading this review http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/german/dml6465reviewcs_1.html so I did lucky with this choice

Yeah, I think you did. I got the 2001 version which is good enough for what I want to do (and it was cheap) but shows it age.

Welcome and a very nice Elefant! it is not easy to add volume to a monochrome camo. The little hatches on rear corners are working?

Ciao

Filippo 

On 08/03/2021 at 18:54, Phil1960 said:

Welcome and a very nice Elefant! it is not easy to add volume to a monochrome camo. The little hatches on rear corners are working?

Ciao

Filippo 

On 08/03/2021 at 16:14, Harry Callahan said:

Excellent work so far

By the way, welcome here.

Cheers Filippo.  Indeed. Hopefully will look OK when completed.  One small hatch is workable

Thanks H and cheers

Tremendous, its always a treat watching a high quality build and this certainly ticks that box.

Great use of etch, the simulated damage is great btw, Masterclub tracks and brilliant paintwork, what's not to like! 👍

Be nice to see this all come together. 

Atb

Darryl 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2021 at 07:27, Jasper dog said:

Tremendous, its always a treat watching a high quality build and this certainly ticks that box.

Great use of etch, the simulated damage is great btw, Masterclub tracks and brilliant paintwork, what's not to like! 👍

Be nice to see this all come together. 

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, glad you like it

On 12/03/2021 at 15:53, vaoinas said:

Paintjob looks really good. I like the subtle red primer scratches here and there.

Though the tracks seem to be way too slack. i would remove a link or two there. 

Cheers Vaoinas

I agree on the track sag. Unfortunately neither the idler or drive sprocket is adjustable so deleting just one link each side makes attaching them a difficult task. I intend to look at another solution to remedy soon