Mixing Airfix and Classic Airframes Blenheim..?

phil23

Hi to all !

Has anyone ever tried to mixed Airfix recent 1/48 Blenheim MKI to the Classic Airframes mkIV nose?

Jus wondering if this option is feasable  to get a state of the art MkIV....

Phil

Just the nose section of a CA Blenheim IV would still require a lot of work. I'm not sure that the profiles would even line up.  It would be interesting to try though (if somewhat expensive!)

• Like 1

Perfect timing as I am just now working on the new Airfix Blenheim and have in the past done two Classic Airframes ones.  I did both a Finnish Mk I and the long nose Mk IV. They were the best kits at the time but are light years behind the new Airfix kit now.

Several times in the past I went through a major conversion, alteration of a version just to find out that the new kit is coming out soon, so perhaps you can do us all a favor by undertaking this project and thus triggering this "Murhpy's law of Modeling". Once you are done Airfix will announce the Mk IV.  The conversion should be a challenging project. The Airfix is a fantastic kit and I am really enjoying it in comparison to the CA years ago.  The biggest challenge will be to mate the clear plastic nose from CA to the Airfix body,  the outlines could be way off making it impossible to match them. If there is a way for you to measure both kits and see before committing that would be the way to go before undertaking that project.  Matching clear parts as in the case of the canopy is a lot harder them mating engines or wings where you can use putty liberally. Nonetheless I am curious of the effect so make sure to keep us posted.

Ok, am now sat with both kits in front of me. The Airfix Mk1 and the CA Mk5. I have had the CA Mk4 and the fuselage parts are the same, just different clear noses. The conversion can be done, with work and fetteling. The CA nose is a generous 1mm wider than the Airfix fuselage, but the height looks good. So, you would cut the Airfix nose off at the appropiate place on each fuselage half, glue on the clear CA nose half and sand the CA part down to match the Airfix part. You should then be able to use the Airfix roof sliding hatch. Just watch the windshield, you may need to scratch build one from clear sheet. Regards, Pete in RI.

Edited by europapete
spelling

although kit bashing these two together sounds possible and maybe a fun experiment ( I too have both the Airfix and CA kits), this is where we need someone like Aerocraft to produce a nice clear cut and shut nose in clear resin if there were enough of us willing to buy one!

An alternative approach might be this.  Use the complete CA fuselage, and the wings, engines, tail feathers and detail parts from the Airfix.  You would only have to scribe and detail the fuselage body to match the Airfix level of detail. You should be able to use most of the interior parts from the Airfix, also.

The CA Blenheim nose has a few issues - you have to replace the triangle window in the center of the windscreen (CA has a seem through the center), it lacks the oval side windows behind the canopy, and many Blenheim's had bulged side windows (not included)

Having said all this, I'm now looking at my CA and Airfix kits and thinking ...

18 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

An alternative approach might be this.  Use the complete CA fuselage, and the wings, engines, tail feathers and detail parts from the Airfix.  You would only have to scribe and detail the fuselage body to match the Airfix level of detail. You should be able to use most of the interior parts from the Airfix, also.

The CA Blenheim nose has a few issues - you have to replace the triangle window in the center of the windscreen (CA has a seem through the center), it lacks the oval side windows behind the canopy, and many Blenheim's had bulged side windows (not included)

Having said all this, I'm now looking at my CA and Airfix kits and thinking ...

I was actualy thinking at this option as well.....