Pledge/Future is this the right stuff ?

worcesterjohn

Hi I keep reading about how good Pledge floor polish is as a gloss coat for models and for reviving canopies. I think I need to get some, but worried I'll buy the wrong stuff. Is the link below selling the right type ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pledge-With-Future-Shine-Floor-Care-Multi-Surface-Finish-Protect-Restore-27oz-79/142863716999?hash=item2143575287:g:wxkAAOSwKMxbRn2a

Also does it work on both enamels and acrylics and is it ok to brush on as I don't have an airbrush.

thanks in advance :)

Yes, yes, and yes to your questions.

Brushing works fine just be careful not to overload the brush as too thick a layer can clog engraved detail and has a tendency to 'pool'. Use thin coats - it takes very little.

For canopies I  (and I think most people) prefer to dip the canopy in future -  I have a wide mouthed jar of Future  just for dipping canopies. After dipping leave on a sheet of paper towel to wick of any excess in a dust free place.

Drying time is pretty quick - 20min or so, but you may want to leave it a bit longer to cure.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ckw said:

Yes, yes, and yes to your questions.

Brushing works fine just be careful not to overload the brush as too thick a layer can clog engraved detail and has a tendency to 'pool'. Use thin coats - it takes very little.

For canopies I  (and I think most people) prefer to dip the canopy in future -  I have a wide mouthed jar of Future  just for dipping canopies. After dipping leave on a sheet of paper towel to wick of any excess in a dust free place.

Drying time is pretty quick - 20min or so, but you may want to leave it a bit longer to cure.

Cheers

Colin

that's great Colin thank you. Yes I've read about the canopy technique, but most of the stuff I'd read about using it as a clearcoat seemed to be with a airbrush, so great to know that it works with brushing :)

The manufacturer seems to change the name of the product every two years or so for unknown reasons, but yes, that is the correct product. I think now it's known here in the US as Pledge Floor Gloss.

Most questions about it are answered here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

The manufacturer seems to change the name of the product every two years or so for unknown reasons, but yes, that is the correct product. I think now it's known here in the US as Pledge Floor Gloss.

Most questions about it are answered here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Thanks Michael that's really helpful 

Hi, how does this stuff behave when being masked? Do the masks leave stains after being removed? Is it better to dip the transparencies AFTER the frames have been painted (this would leave us with glossy canopy frames though)?

I've always dipped canopies first, leave to cure overnight and then mask. Never had a problem with stains / residue after removing the masks. That applies to masks cut from tape or any pre-cut masks (Eduard etc).

Mark

• Like 1

No problem whatsoever with Tamiya tape, however I did get some residue left behind using vinyl masks - but I believe this to be more a problem with the mask than the Future (p-masks as supplied in Hobby 2000 kits). The good news is even then I was able to remove the residue without damaging the future. This stuff was designed for floors, so needs to be pretty tough!

But remember, it can only be as good as whatever it's coating. Future will not make the underlying paint stick any better, nor should you think you'll be able to mask over decals which have been coated with Future ... you may get away with it, or you may just peel the decal off (learned that the hard way).

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1