Total newcomer to the hobby in Colchester

AndyK2479

Morning, all, 

As per thread title I am a total newcomer to Scale Modelling (apart from helping my Dad building my Airfix kits 40 years ago)

Bought myself a couple of Starter kits to cut my teeth on, already finding it addictive and browsing websites for hints and tips, not to mention a steep learning curve!

I have still to decide which era of aircraft to concentrate on, I’ll be looking to build in 1/48th and for some reason Cold War 1950-80 appeals but also looking at Pacific Theatre WW2. I’ve hand brushed my first 2 kits, but airbrush and compressor is in the pipeline.

Going to have a good luck around the BritModeller forums for inspiration and remind myself I’m here to enjoy the hobby and not set my sights too high or too soon.

Andy

• Like 12

Hi Andy,

Welcome aboard!

You'll find the BM community is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful in equal measure - I've never looked back!

If you have a question about anything, you'll find someone on here can give you the answer! Someone said to me when I joined, "the only daft questions are the ones you don't ask!"

Enjoy and keep it fun!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Welcome aboard Andy. Good to have another Essex boy join the fold.

John.

Cheers, John, 

Exiled Tyke living in Essex I’m afraid. 

I see you are a serving/former Scaley? 

Just now, AndyK2479 said:

Well I'm an escaped Cockney, married to a Tykess living in Colly too.  There's a lot of it about!!!

Welcome to BM Andy.

7 minutes ago, Fatcawthorne said:

Well I'm an escaped Cockney, married to a Tykess living in Colly too.  There's a lot of it about!!!

Welcome to BM Andy.

Cheers, Chris. Been in Colly 17 years now. 

:welcome: aboard Andy.  You don't have to settle for any one section of the hobby or other - you can play around in 'em all if you want, just be prepared for a large stash ;)

4 minutes ago, AndyK2479 said:

Cheers, Chris. Been in Colly 17 years now. 

'Bout the same as me then (and how long it seems to have taken to do the Ipswich Rd roundabout roadworks too for other locals!)

Having been a long-term STAB I never got to serve up here though as was based in East London.  You still in or an escapee?

There's a few BM'ers in the Colly area though.  Looking forward to seeing some of your builds soon.

1 hour ago, Fatcawthorne said:

'Bout the same as me then (and how long it seems to have taken to do the Ipswich Rd roundabout roadworks too for other locals!)

Having been a long-term STAB I never got to serve up here though as was based in East London.  You still in or an escapee?

There's a few BM'ers in the Colly area though.  Looking forward to seeing some of your builds soon.

Left in 1994, never did any time in Colly, either in the Garrison that was or ‘that place in the woods’ 

Mainly BAOR/BFG for me, one day i’ll build a 432 with attendant thrown track or awaiting new engine 😀

1 hour ago, AndyK2479 said:

Cheers, John, 

I see you are a serving/former Scaley? 

Hi Andy,

Yes, a former Scaley, from many years ago, 1964-69. Spent some "happy" times up in Catterick Camp. There are quite a few ex Scaley's on BM.

John.

Hello Andy ... :post1: from the city by the lake Chicago. Take your time, try a little of everything and take the learning steady, skill’s will come quicker than you think. Myself I’m mostly an aviation builder, bit of everything from the 30’s to current types. Dont hesitate to ask, only silly question is the un-asked one. 

Dennis

Greetings from Western Canada.

You're so screwed now! Once you get a good whiff of styrene, cement, paint and thinner, you'll never let it go!

It's more addictive than alcohol and weed.

Ask me how I know!

Chris

• Haha 1

Welcome to the madhouse. There is an active IPMS North Essex club which, under normal (did I say normal?) circumstances meet at a certain hostelry in Wivenhoe for some inspiration. Any of you 'locals' would find yourselves welcome there.

• Like 1

Good to meet you Andy - only been here about a week myself and they've already broken me. Run for help while you still can 😄

I used to be solely 1/72nd aircraft back in the 70's and 80's, but since returning to the hobby last year I find I'm going all over the place with subject and scales 😊

This is so far the most pleasant and friendly hangout I've found on the 'net for model builders. Should have signed up sooner!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Already enjoying my time here. 

The Long Haired General keeps asking why I’m getting lots of bottles of paint through the post and what that compressor thingy is for in my Man Cave......

• Like 1

Welcome along from a Colchester born & bred modeller.  I escaped up the Ipswich road to Suffolk a few a few years back but have Cold War 1/48 aircraft & airfield tendency so looking forward to see your builds

Hello!  Nice to have you here.  I'm a recent returner and have found folks very helpful.

The answer to pretty much every aircraft-related question is "Hurricanes came in many sorts".