A Tale of Two Trainers.

In my attempt to get back into 1/32 modelling I recently completed these two 1/48 Trainers. Airfix's Tiger Moth and Revell's Boeing Stearman. Both kits offered challenges of differing kinds which kept me busy.

Airfix,

As is the norm these days Airfix used their flour and water mix plastic, which is so weak all of the parts like the fuselage halves are quite thick and gave real problems getting the seams to close properly. The registration of may sprues was out, making much extra cleaning up of very fragile parts. The wings went together well and the geometry is correct, but the struts are joined with a bar at the top which is very difficult to clean up afterwards. In all it looks like a Tiger although I still think the fuselage is too fat. Not as bad as the 1/72 one though Built OOB with Airfix's decals. The yellow bands are too short for the wings.

Revell,

Revell use some actual plastic which is light and springy. This model nearly fell together with plenty of internal detail. The major problem is the bottom wing which should have 3 degrees of dihedral, but the struts are too long and the fuselage wing joint needs work to get this right. Again built OOB, but with aftermarket decals to represent a specific aircraft. The fuselage is also slightly out of shape in the height and cross section departments, but this is minimal.

Just my two cents.

Steve

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 24

They both look lovely,  great work.  I have built the Boeing as the air display model and it did go together very well. I have a couple of Airfix Tiggies in the stash and I still look forward to building them despite your issues mentioned. 

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1