Aston Martin DB5 with modifications

5 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

The Monogram 1/25 DB4 is on my list of kits I will get one day (I'll try and remember about the alternator).  I built the Monogram Maserati 3500GT, I think the DB4 would sit nicely next to it.

Oh, you won't forget the alternator. You'll have a whiskey-tango-foxtrot moment when you see it...

• Haha 2

A quick update on the DB5, and probably more to come later.

y4mx-So6lUR4qqaiC6GVX0SRVWomIXRU8vsVh35O

Not sure if the pedals are in the right place but checking the position relative to the seat.  I've also sanded down the filler over the old gear lever hole.

y4m_kjyPKgr25oZ1KX62Wvri1TVxh-i8m6rGxfpX

The steering wheel is a bit horrible but probably won't notice that much on a closed car.  The rim should be wood, so I've gone for matt brown on the rim.  The spokes will be satin black.

I've also put some more primer on the body and paint on the interior parts.  Pics may come later.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Have you got 4 pedals?

The foot rest is part of the gearbox tunnel,  just a bump on it,  not separate

I knew there was a foot rest but I couldn't find any photos for reference.  I did once sit behind the wheel of a DB5 (well, a DB4, series V, which is practically the same), but that was 30 years ago and I don't recall the pedal details although I do remember how right the driving position felt.

Anyway, I found a handy reference photo here, so I've now got something to go on, even if it means undoing what I've done.

• Thanks 1

The bump shape on the gearbox tunnel was fashioned to go around the gearbox clutch release mechanism and starter motor, afair.  It meant there was a boxy shape just near the driver's left foot. Just covering it with carpet meant it would wear badly as drivers would use it to rest a foot on so AM put a a rubber pad on the surface and it became a 'foot rest' Its just wide enough for about 1/3 of a foot to be on it, enough to 'rest' a foot on

• Thanks 1

A few more bits of Aston.

y4mDnDRCOtKnYxk2QeaMBGfnTHocleBCNDog45RY

Another coat of primer.

y4mndHSeFIlQWJfic9VmBHE3-iAAl6AR_gNQsdt0

Trying to work out if the roof has gone wonky again?

y4mEOcHXcdBedfQGOWC3f0TxL0H9L0BT5Y6V_Hax

I wondered if I'd need to reshape the wing vents, because the first few cars I looked at had a forward leaning vent.  But since then I've seen pictures of DB5s with vents like the ones on the model, 

y4mfnA-ndWfBt7qUTtRDCX4nRkRFvGd2n4dn-A5l

Rear view.

y4mMlROCOXaERlReeR2N-3M65n76_V-WfEpKsyPI

I've also bunged some satin black paint on some of the interior parts.

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm not much of a wagon/estate/shooting break fan, but that looks like it might be a fun conversion for someone to try.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 12:54 PM, Alan R said:

I built this kit years ago as a kid.
All these gaps didn't seem to be a problem to me then.

Much less critical eye then  (50 plus years ago)

Cheers,

Alan.

The moulds were probably in better nick then!😉

• Like 2

Primer is always a big step, as it can easily highlight all the little faults you thought you'd overcome.   Yours look great, especially considering all the fettling you've had to do.  I'll expect to see it finished by next weekend.   🤣😂 - Andy 

• Haha 1

You could title this update "Plastic surgery and a nose job".

y4m3O6leJHPg9SLj9rczWeC1f9hawMCnTY5EQ3uS

Checking the fit of the grille again, there is a bit of a gap at the top and I think a strip of styrene is going to be neater than filer.

y4mAUqTNLKMU8sYTUGmOzlsAYrH_9QGPiR_K4jVv

I thought I'd better have a look at the headlamp covers, the one on the right has a fair bit of flash to clean off.

y4mF6x9LL0NDWK8JDJ32nnN6-rtB6jRC2pvD5wYT

Driver's side fits better than the passenger side and the shape of the passenger side front of the car really isn't right at all.

y4miYSTkizSGl1onQCTnndeUOyhp9PnNy9oCtrum

Side view.

y4miYSTkizSGl1onQCTnndeUOyhp9PnNy9oCtrum

And the other side.

y4mi8-2-ABAvx4MSzW_AaKONyE1GBtSvSicrBwB3

I scraped away some primer, tidied up some more mould lines and generally prepared to add some material.

y4mlAUsCw1_9l4h9V4h0UyK-gxOibwSKeu7PL8jE

Adding some styrene, I probably need to add a bit more under the passenger side headlamp.

y4mGE1tJafHxkWvL615EA_cAfDmOVgI4qzE6FGRg

I've looked at pictures of real DB5s and I think this wing needs to come out to a bit more of a rounded point.

y4mgWIECPa1dahHe-c3GsoSIIPJpW-TKFgaSbvsC

Less material is required on the driver's side but I think a little is necessary to help blend the side lamp/indicator into the body.  The clear part of the light has the chrome trim so I don't think the circular mounting is the correct shape.

Once the Liquid Poly has set I can carve most of the material away to what I think is the right shape.

• Like 10

More work on the nose job.

y4m0lSqBwPpHQYu3t00vrsS78NfqnCgI4rkgApGL

I've trimmed and sanded the styrene sheet and added a couple of dollops of filler.

y4mRXB_-UIGi6epfmEQ-ikpNn6JSl2iL1M1hAutr

Bird's eye view.  Plenty of sanding to do once the filler hardens.

On to the interior...

y4mSsMlGhnTqEbjQvF4N_oLsb81tVLUVrxL-mjSn

I removed the pedals from the spot where I initially placed them.  There isn't really a suitable hump for the footrest.

y4mEjD4FG_yxbx_NGW9nyK-to85-lJM7fRw6_d09

I'm not sweating too much over these as they won't be that visible.  I've gone with the same assembly as before and put some filler behind the rest.  It's a mess but will tidy up (I hope).

y4mKm1Gj4njhtNeUNaS6O3mNSErIY9DnQpQxgl6t

Remember that there will eventually be a dashboard and steering wheel in the way and some thick "glass" to distort the view.  I think those pedals are in the "that'll do" category.  They won't be the first thing you notice when it's sitting on the shelf, so there are more important parts of this build on which I need to focus.

• Like 7

I've not forgotten the Aston.

y4mKMIziw6i46OlljXuLDP_BnxG-7CxjOz6pOV0-

Still some work needed to get the headlamp covers fitting and the front end into a better shape.

y4m7o8Ar6QPoU6DBRQHy7oPdZ6r71vJlPqIgBtc8

So a few more bits of styrene glued to the front.  I hope this effort yields a worthwhile result.

• Like 8

Have you tried Mr Dissolved Putty for building up those areas such as around the headlights? I think it would be far less work and give a good result.

Nice work on the improvements though, coming on slowly!

Ian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Have you tried Mr Dissolved Putty for building up those areas such as around the headlights? I think it would be far less work and give a good result.

Nice work on the improvements though, coming on slowly!

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's not something I've heard of.

I use it for cockpit coamings. It can be applied with a small brush and as it dries it can be "pulled" a little to get some shape. Once dry it sands well.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Quick update on the Aston.

y4mg6gvfFT7R68kvgXvmz19teBWtSQKKnHbdNrnm

Checking the fit of the headlamp covers, it's still not quite there.

y4m6RSwTy06IHCXNo-3_vQrovJtrAHkTGHkJBGfI

More filler added to build up the bodywork.  I just need to take this a bit at a time, if only for the sake of my sanity.

• Like 7

I think the headlamp cut-outs are the right shape now.

y4m_Bz0TQmsWjCBVt3E4WR089V4BKXEk3HfmqUS-

I guess a coat of primer will reveal how much more correction and filling is required to smooth out the front end.

• Like 6

Even more expert "Model Bondo" work! :clap2:

Looks like MS got their stuff together as I couldn't see any of this thread's images last night.

Is the grill sitting correctly? It looks slightly askew... :shrug:

18 hours ago, johnlambert said:

y4mg6gvfFT7R68kvgXvmz19teBWtSQKKnHbdNrnm

BTW, I saw this "Starter Kit" in the LHS last night. I knew from your heroic efforts here to give a wide berth...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Only a few little bits on the little Aston.

y4mTDsVn4I-Cxv1vZk7EjEtgruMKcZvBaNRZ0fu6

Upholstery and dashboard painted satin black, the steering wheel rim was painted brown but I decided to slim down the rim and spoke.

y4mXABeiDfYVk8ULsr323O3OnOqTSoiv5XvJhnMT

Underside is also satin black, it looks really smart.

y4mgFsNcbSs__hGq9fNiUKwBtGgTotRJdirW7Eew

Aluminium paint for the sump and gearbox.  There will be some satin black to touch up but that should be pretty easy.

• Like 5

A bit more stuff on the Aston.

y4m_fDaBB7v5No7n5A7zQEcpVPFaDKVW6_s51MlH

Giving the carpet a coat of matt black.

y4me3e8UjO1NuSQiHO0dWJ0pEPc6ZLqgimHzWCsB

I think it gives a nice contrast with the satin black of the seats.

y4mV3Qn6Ka9FR0p9GVO26zemj9VMm07jXOR8oYKl

Close-up of the over spray on the underside.

y4mzLSOKvVRs_fAPd-9q0uVAhXOrgdIAB90U4ZEH

Tidied up with Tamiya satin black which I've also painted on the steering wheel spokes.

At some point I'll have to prime the body and get on with that part of the build.

• Like 6