Aston Martin DB5 with modifications

No, this build won't include Browning machine guns, rotating number plates or an ejector seat.  This is more about refining some of the details of this venerable kit, and taking a trip down memory lane as it is another kit I built back in my early teens.  I've been working on this in the background of my other builds for a few weeks.

y4mzn9MXqWF53i_HYQSnOxKMuG1UY7B-TeejGe4v

This is the box art, which I think is slightly different from the version I built the first time around.

y4mpgSsAISaAfteLiwlqlveP4sn8-EBkWR92kp6v

I knew that the biggest issue would be the body, with a mix of flash and sink marks to correct.  Here is the body straight out of the box and you might spot a little flash if you look carefully.

y4mNZyvUJqA70yx1YQvqzJNOX_jZjnS4n10-HxpK

What I wasn't expecting was the panel lines, I'm not sure if they were originally designed as raised edges or recesses, but over the years they have become both and neither at the same time.  I decided I'd take the risk to try and scribe the panel lines myself.

y4m-TsSzCZewCbvPcov2Y7CgfVR8RTKvncmWkPWp

The front end is where the worst sink marks are found, and the bonnet scoop needs opening up.

y4mKoWsr1FQ0bJ00h4HyiHfJmDJfKRTGo-x6oxll

At the back Airfix simply didn't bother with half the boot shut line.

y4mKd7V-zrM9lf19DadkdLVrpM5pE-aIGKlDsYVo

Careful work with scriber and razor saw, I've tried to get the lines as steady as possible but they may be a little wobbly in places.

y4mpe3XT967R5c0QsenrJkP83U9yJkp-a5WG9sPc

Creating the bonnet panel gap was really tricky.

y4mdqSxhDDkLfrE7kWFlaADVsdJmD9s7ew-7kL01

The passenger side.

y4muxBZEMCBPbSlP-gDm2bpBAndkPGUL6Ob3jgzE

Boot panel gap added, Not sure how accurate it is, but it's better than nothing.

y4m9s-x88SVHc68jCGZa2RXMfs4Uyy35_pLhbiap

To try and get the tail lights fitting properly they were added to the body before any paint so that I could make good with filler.  I've also had to scribe the fuel filler door.

y4m-it28VaxRXWdbzpZcHuA_QeCnL9pd9n21dbju

Front valance fitted and checking that the chassis fits.  Pity about the gap at the edge of the floor, not sure there's much can be done with that.

y4mmBsW1nw8vlAUMQWFg4f2i9Jby5fJdFXHpP_xA

Starting to open up the bonnet vent.

y4mbwJJV2g0Wvj6xC9KYXf_DWwtJslVDcalBxzLK

And cut open.

y4mU2K1oa3HSxioxCc0k5iSDNmChoCG-JaSTJxRg

Great gobs of filler!

y4mKT-6W6Gyv48O5UANDBcVl8iurUX-uo73AHMji

More filler on the valance.

y4mkqaGvcRhbnbwgjGwK7wR1gL_8SRwmW3_qzBQD

First coat of primer, just to see what further correction is necessary.

y4mdKS7Yn31g9kxBiwBwAZ7UuYCVhW9_ZwzKxSL5

Not quite sure about that face.

y4maOifuYJCxQHo3-ZkAwXFGGC3_BYnwyQM-1vAH

Driver's side.  At least the door gaps don't look too bad.

y4mG9t4mOyQE7z4CXWLsDSnXp0rnHGGno04ecqc4

Even the boot gap doesn't look too awful.

y4mUv5-5b8VGrgG4if5fqFjMocbDZpeak5SdJCp9

Something I knew I'd need to address would be the kit wheels.  As with the Airfix Jaguar E-type I built last summer I decided to go for some slot car wire wheels.

y4mobrsS5qriDezB3dKjvRM5liwyQt64gIIfGN_l

First mock-up with the wheels just plonked in the arches.

y4mSQ4t29pNC2DVDrlD7GhLUxHUPRFil5NCy7OEo

One handy thing is that you don't have to cut away any of the chassis to fit these wheels, the boss sticks out pretty much the same distance as the boss on the kit wheels.

y4mU5syOxMRykmw42_IfHa_MkQ7PwP6744szKX07

Sitting on the suspension, it looks better at something closer to the proper ride height.

y4mROkD7c4VKmTAdu30DyQwX_FUy2B3PPKUBF26t

The suspension is not too badly represented, the rear assembly is quite fiddly with its separate coil springs and radius rods.  It's probably not going to get much more than a quick spray with black paint.

y4muan1vZ7_Y0kUEneUsg-9zbpPS9XUf5eaa49fB

Plenty of rubbing down has happened (and camera lens was cleaned).  That window line isn't right and needs improvement.

y4mTgdX871lfAFOy_e56YMgNezpB70p6PBrkjxgE

That looks a bit more like the correct shape.

y4mdrj16qae-WWGol4GvQPo2MNXfEu48Fw2FD7nb

Underside primed and rubbed down,  Those stub axles need to be a little thicker for the wheels to sit better.

y4mCkC9QZfBvK1rSb3oOtpp3-EKducQus-N2Is3W

Something else I noticed was the complete lack of detail for the sides of the interior, I'm not sure how much detail I'll add but I felt that some sort of representation would be better than nothing.

y4maiyWEOeRvdoV88FMTxFzifzP8ca7i3x3Fffpw

You also get a weird gap where the rear seats and wheel arches don't quite meet.

y4m70GwEGZNwky0XV6Ou4I4mXwbI9PDErltOUhvR

Adding some styrene to correct the gap, yes it needs trimming down.

To keep this build well away from the best-known DB5 it isn't going to be silver or anything close. it will be burgundy with a black interior.  I'm not usually a fan of black interiors but it feels right for this sort of Aston.

• Like 13

Hi John

Good start. You're certainly taking great care to make the model look more like the real thing. 

Can't remember if I mentioned this but it might be worth fitting the front grill as I found there was a gap between the grill and the rest of the body. 

Oh and wheels looks good to. If only they made a 1:24 version...

Nick

• Thanks 1

I took advantage of an annual leave day to make more progress.

y4musiT2KCxzsijQJWinEUp20Fj6HbWid8mxa88z

The plastic fillets have done the job.  I'm not sure what Airfix was on when it decided on the placement of the gear lever but it bears no relation to the position of the lever on the real car.  The correct placement is more in line with the front edge of the seats.

y4mLO2f1b7rFQQ4SNPR5ODoQ5EA8Sjfw0Qwpqx4N

Old hole filled and a new hole drilled.

y4mC6_su_s0Te983jUhHQ2V-J6YIpGsfqx10banF

There aren't any pedals in the kit, they may not be visible when it's completed but I thought I'd at least try to represent them (and the foot rest net to the clutch).

y4mnquUc_mFxL4CVy8n7pGCni5-vus3sPmChlQi-

@Fnick I see what you mean about the grille!

y4m6b_oT3NdSOx04m8VMLcAJyty07Ec0fGZMVGJ7

Testing the fit of the front bumper.

y4mMzcP5lGioP2mcrS6eJN6TvyIAcqLSEjb9Fhnr

I've also added a small strip of styrene to help correct the shape of the bonnet scoop.

y4mw1dnumk3Wh5lM2xL0bbbt51cfMdqGUl23-W3S

A bit of filler added at the front.

y4mMrYzEr-2VHd0L2Ev5rjoH8mB2I5wb8g77MyDy

Checking the fit of the back bumper.

y4mHOoHY1FfN8BEDNhydMyeZrqJlaUMrgQfhL0qz

y4mtA6eC1hbJTlfwLd6YtCbsuI61GCpL7NOWapuC

y4mD2F_lWihyRl9gSGy8DBuPT_bwYaWmEfkjGu8Y

This side doesn't seem to fit as well.

y4mo4_frV8fVyXlH9uDr66Qz3GZhlwB8pUmwD_Y0

I thought I'd have a go at Bare Metal Foil for the grille.

y4m4Y5eXwk9gkO4IXCxHcTXRogrkKPsK6141L4wI

Also trying BMF on the bumpers.

• Like 8

I'm in! :popcorn:

You're doing a grand job on making this kit into the thoroughbred the car was! 

I'm glad they included overriders on the bumpers. They, along with fully chromed road wheels, were apparently non-standard equipment on the DB-4

• Thanks 1

I built this kit years ago as a kid.
All these gaps didn't seem to be a problem to me then.

Much less critical eye then  (50 plus years ago)

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alan R said:

I built this kit years ago as a kid.
All these gaps didn't seem to be a problem to me then.

Much less critical eye then  (50 plus years ago)

Cheers,

Alan.

Same here, Alan, same here.

It was one of the few Airfix cars that I managed to assemble so that the wheels were free to rotate.  I think the other Airfix cars (E-type and MGB) I made I had to resort to gluing the wheels solidly to the axles.

• Like 1

More good progress: the BMF grille looks far better than what you start with. And I ordered my wheels today: I think I'm going to try something a bit different. I do need windscreen wipers though (PE); do you have a source for them?

• Thanks 1

Hi John, lots of work required to get this one right, I guess. But, when it was easy, you’d miss the challenge. Right?😉

So far looking good.

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I deliberately chose this kit because I fancied a challenge.  The good thing about these kits is that you can practice with saws, filler and the like and don't have to worry that you've ruined a hard-to-find kit.

@Sabrejet I hadn't thought about windscreen wipers, there are some moulded into the base of the clear windscreen part.  For my Airfix E-type I soldered together some stiff, nickel silver wire to make the wipers; I might do the same here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Wow, what a terrible mould! Is it me, or is the roof bent too? It looks as though it leans to the right...

Ian

No, it's not you, the roof does have a lean. 

How much, over & above the work you're doing on this John, would it take to turn one of these into a DB4, my absolute favourite AM. Afaik, its the same in the body to the DB5 apart from the front wings/headlights but of that I'm not totally sure. I can feel a plan hatching (or maybe its just wind?)  :unsure: :D

Steve.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

How much, over & above the work you're doing on this John, would it take to turn one of these into a DB4, my absolute favourite AM. Afaik, its the same in the body to the DB5 apart from the front wings/headlights but of that I'm not totally sure. I can feel a plan hatching (or maybe its just wind?)  :unsure: :D

Steve.

Strangely enough I was wondering the same thing.  I suspect you could get away with extending the tops of the front wings and moving the headlamps forward.  

I've also wondered about shortening the body to make a DB4 GT, and even chopping off the roof to make a Volante.  Given that the roof on this model is wonky, I may yet go down that route.

• Like 1

That's looking amazing. There's an Aston slowly appearing from the Airfix provided wreckage! The wheels make a huge difference.

I tried my hand at one of these a while back. It completely defeated me. The mold is really poor, as you show. Mine had chunks of windscreen post missing altogether.

Have you tried Molotow chrome inks? I use them all the time for chrome now.

Tony.

• Like 2

You could get away with a lot more if you didn't expose the engine. Otherwise, there are 3 SU carbs in the DB-5 v. 2 SU in the DB-4 or 3 Weber in the DB-4GT (along with dual spark plugs) and I forget what else.Overdrive was an option on the DB-4. I know a pull switch was used to activate it, but I don't recall the switch being present without the option.  I know the DB-4 did not come with a fire extinguisher, but I don't know where that was kept on the DB-5. 

Monogram made a 1/25 DB-4, which isn't bad except they stupidly put an alternator up top with fan belts to match. They messed up the spare tire and the whole general area. Wheels are a nightmare, but 3D-printed 15 inch 60-spoke wheels are available!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the interest.

y4m5-blqZVdI6rN19JZS-twOm-j0xQdGXG3Lvokg

I've given the roof a big tweak, I think it's made a difference.  I just pushed against the lean, to the point where I thought it was going to break, and it seems to have sprung back closer to where it should be.

y4mCBlrNJqgCTID_N0Ebf6vbE5PadoteeOt9VtPN

I've also bunged some Tamiya Fine Surface Primer on the seats and dashboard.

11 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Great work on this horrible old mould! Your improvements and the new wheels are moving it a long way.

There is always something appealing with these old Airfix 1/32 cars, despite their shortcomings.

Thanks, yes it is an appealing subject and I think the basic shape of the DB5 is there, even if it feels as though it came out of a mould that was made of rubber instead of metal.

13 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's looking amazing. There's an Aston slowly appearing from the Airfix provided wreckage! The wheels make a huge difference.

I tried my hand at one of these a while back. It completely defeated me. The mold is really poor, as you show. Mine had chunks of windscreen post missing altogether.

Have you tried Molotow chrome inks? I use them all the time for chrome now.

Tony.

Wow, yours sounds like it was really bad.  Yes, I've got Molotow chrome, I'll use it where I can't get foil to work,  I think the bumper overriders will be done with the chrome pen but the bumper blades will be wrapped.

5 hours ago, dnl42 said:

You could get away with a lot more if you didn't expose the engine. Otherwise, there are 3 SU carbs in the DB-5 v. 2 SU in the DB-4 or 3 Weber in the DB-4GT (along with dual spark plugs) and I forget what else.Overdrive was an option on the DB-4. I know a pull switch was used to activate it, but I don't recall the switch being present without the option.  I know the DB-4 did not come with a fire extinguisher, but I don't know where that was kept on the DB-5. 

Monogram made a 1/25 DB-4, which isn't bad except they stupidly put an alternator up top with fan belts to match. They messed up the spare tire and the whole general area. Wheels are a nightmare, but 3D-printed 15 inch 60-spoke wheels are available!

The good thing about the Airfix 1/32 kit is the lack of engine detail.  I dread to think what that would be like if there were any!  Having wired a twin-plug straight six in 1/25 there's no way I'd want to wire a 32nd scale DB4 GT motor!  The Monogram 1/25 DB4 is on my list of kits I will get one day (I'll try and remember about the alternator).  I built the Monogram Maserati 3500GT, I think the DB4 would sit nicely next to it.

• Like 4