1/48 Ju88 A-5 Eastern Front

Hi, It’s been a while since I last posted so I’d like share with you some photos of my recently completed Ju88 A-5.

It’s built from the ICM 1:48 kit. This is the first of their range of Luftwaffe bombers I have built and I am very impressed. Excellent detail, great fit and all at a bargain price.

I wanted to finish this model a little differently and chose a winter camo scheme – something like this aircraft would have seen in service on the Eastern Front.

The pattern is based on giraffe skin (!) and was masked (slowly) using the blu-tak sausage method.

Although probably not historically accurate I’m pleased with the way it came out and I feel it looks the part.

The kit also comes with a pair of well detailed Jumo engines which I thought would be wasted under the cowlings so I opened the engine covers on one and completely removed the cowling panels on the other (a little surgery required here) to show them off. A bit of dry brushing and added plumbing and there we have it.

Construction was without any major problems. Well detailed cockpit, detailed and sturdy landing gear, some nice engineering on the lower wing hides any joins under the engine nacelles.

And the decals are OK too. ( I recently built an ICM Spitfire MkXVI whose decals were useless)

For the glazing I used liquid mask, as some of the very small panes in the nose would be impossible to mask otherwise.

All painting done with Gunze Acrylics and finished with a Flory Models wash.

So, all in all, a very enjoyable build and I would thoroughly recommend this ICM kit. ( I also have their Do 215 – hope it’s as good.)

51012317802_bc1c4b898b_c.jpg

51012318082_c78333efc1_c.jpg

51012223956_de671ec894_c.jpg

51011510213_80fa3d2118_c.jpg

51012317927_b37dc25204_c.jpg

51012225161_e3590bd7fb_c.jpg

51011510088_8613420397_c.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bob

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

That's a corking build. Nice detailing with the engine cowlings removed - it adds a lot to the overall finish of the model. Great job.