Allied Airfields in France

Tony Davis

Hi all,

Quick plea for info; I would like to build a little diorama on which to place some 1/48th British aircraft. I have been searching on the 'net for some pictures shewing hangers, pilot accommodation (tents) etc, but all I seem to be able to find is pictures of aircraft.

Any suggestions, please? 

Date for your diorama?

By mid WW1 most British squadrons used the French Bessonneau hangar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessonneau_hangar

A lot of airfields were chosen as they were flat, had easy approach and departure, ie not too many tall trees around them, and because there was a farm house nearby which was taken over for accommodation and or offices

OR usually lived in Army type bell tents near to the hangars

Thanks Black Knight, I would have acknowledged your response earlier but I don't seem to get notifications of replies for some reason.

Period will be 1917-1918 so your info is in the right time-frame.

Thanks

Tony

One of the "Airfields and Airmen" paperbacks by Mike O'Connor in the Battleground Europe series of WW1 battlefield guides might help? The one I've got to hand is the volume covering the Somme area, which has three contemporary photos of Vert Galand aerodrome and several photos of Bertangles (including one of the Nissen hut that housed the Officers' Mess and another of bell tents). There are copies currently on Abe Books for under a tenner.  However, here are a few photos on line:

This well known shot is one of the Vert Galand photos. The farm building behind the tents is still there. Here's the armoury.

Some photos of 3 Sqn AFC, including an RE8 being serviced in a Bessonneau hangar (with the assistance of someone's kitchen table, I hope they asked first!).

16 Sqn's hangars.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 11:31, AWFK10 said:

One of the "Airfields and Airmen" paperbacks by Mike O'Connor in the Battleground Europe series of WW1 battlefield guides might help? The one I've got to hand is the volume covering the Somme area, which has three contemporary photos of Vert Galand aerodrome and several photos of Bertangles (including one of the Nissen hut that housed the Officers' Mess and another of bell tents). There are copies currently on Abe Books for under a tenner.  However, here are a few photos on line:

This well known shot is one of the Vert Galand photos. The farm building behind the tents is still there. Here's the armoury.

Some photos of 3 Sqn AFC, including an RE8 being serviced in a Bessonneau hangar (with the assistance of someone's kitchen table, I hope they asked first!).

16 Sqn's hangars.

Thanks, that's really useful

• 4 weeks later...

You can make pretty reasonable facsimilie canvas with tissue, wet with diluted white glue.  Get a pattern, cut out the pieces like a sewing project, almost a miniature version of the actual process with almost zero materials cost. Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 22:01, Tony Davis said:

Thanks Black Knight, I am building 1/48th scale and sadly it appears that the tents are only available in 1/72nd.

check out the 1/32 -1/35 items

• Thanks 1