Brit extra`s.

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful!  These must have been some aircraft to behold when operational, as the size is humongous.  The Tynes must've made quite a racket, too!

Yes very impressive aircraft in the day but the Tyne's belonged to the Vanguard's and CL44's. The Brits taxied by very quietly with there Proteus engines.

Keith

• Thanks 1

Love those Britannia’s. Have you got shares in Roden? I think they should send you a free kit or so for your support. I bet you built the old Frog kit years ago. I certainly did. I remember it started out as an unpainted BOAC machine (apart from the white fuselage top - brush painted badly with Humbrol gloss white - probably a single coat as patience wasn’t easy to come by back then) with kit decals. My Dad used to take me to the Battle of Britain air show at Coltishall or Waddington back in the day and I remember seeing an RAF Britannia in the flying display. Within an hour of getting home the BOAC markings had gone and it was on the way to becoming XL something or other. 1/96th of course and a series 100 with short fuselage but it didn’t seem to matter a jot back them. Anyway great modelling and keep turning them out - they look great

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful!  These must have been some aircraft to behold when operational, as the size is humongous.  The Tynes must've made quite a racket, too!

The Britannia was known as the "Whispering Giant" because the engines were so quiet!

• Like 2

A beautiful collection.  I'll never get bored looking at Britannias.   They're all great but the Redcoat one is my favourite.  Such a handsome aircraft. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

The Britannia was known as the "Whispering Giant" because the engines were so quiet!

Yes but it's derivative the CL44 had Tynes. I well remember seeing the AerTuras Britannia and it's cousin CL44 overlying my home. The Britannia was much quieter.