The creation of a monster

Railfan87

My primary modelling hobby is railways, specifically, Canadian National Railways in southwestern Ontario, Canada, in 1956.  To this end, I am slowly and steadily building a layout in the basement of our home.  After a couple of weeks of effort into finishing a relatively small scene,  I was looking for a change of pace.  Nothing big, mind you, just something to cleanse my modelling palate, so to speak.

"I know," says I, "I'll build a model airplane (aeroplane 😏).  It sounded like a quick and simple-ish thing.  A nice 1:72, WWII fighter flown by a Canadian squadron.

Where to start?  Let's search the internet for decals for such a thing.  I quickly landed on decals for Hawker Typhoons flown by the 438, 439 and 440 squadrons, and promptly ordered a set.  And another set of airframe markings.  And a Typhoon kit (Academy) 

Then the research bug hit.  Oh-oh.  I quickly discovered that the kit I had chosen was a reasonable representation of a Tiffie with a three-blade prop and the small tailplane.  No problem, the decals include three options for one of those.   But, now do I want to get another kit for a four-blade prop with the larger tailplane, finish both for the same squadron to display the contrast.  We'll table that motion for future consideration.

Now, I want to do a nice job on this, and I haven't built a plane in a good long while.  I should build a practice kit first, methinks. 

I saw an Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant on sale and ordered it.  I should explain that there are no local hobby shops in my area of the 'Great White North,' so even without a pandemic, popping in is not an option. 

Having ordered the Defiant, the voices in my head said, "did any RCAF squadrons fly them?"  Yes, and yet another decal order - dull red squadron codes and serial numbers. 

Then I discovered scalemates.com and this lovely forum.

... and Eduard, and Arma and ...

"That Eduard Spitfire Profipack looks tempting.  That would be a nice one to do after I've finished the first two."  I am so easily led astray, especially by myself.

Before this gets too lengthy, rambling and pointless - ok, too late for the latter - there are now four kits waiting to be started (Arma Hurricane).  Not to mention a serious addition to my stock of model paint.  Why, in the name of all that's wonderful, would I decide to do four models in four different paint schemes?

My wife is waiting for some custom bookshelves to arrive.  Won't she be excited when I display these beauties, and a locomotive, and maybe that car kit that my brother bought and never built on them.

A Mozzie and a Beaufighter?? STOP!  Don't ask how many train-related models and projects are in my stash and queue. 

Cheers all.  Happy Sunday!

Chris

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the competing charms of aircraft models and model railways!

Several years ago I heard model railways referred to as "the dark side" on a modelling forum.

However, I have noticed that there are several members on BM who do both. Also, on a British model railways forum, RMWeb, there are many people on there who model 'planes, tanks, cars, ships Texas well as rail.

As Nick out it, enjoy the stash experience (or two!)

Take care and stay safe.

Nigel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AT7GMK said:

As Nick out it, enjoy the stash experience (or two!)

Thanks Nigel and Nick,

I'm definitely enjoying the stash experience, as well as the researching and 'armchair modelling.'

Chris

Chris, welcome aboard. So can you have an Aircraft museum on the layout? My mate in Oz has done just that.

The layout itself, up to 1959 sounds interesting too. Steam and diesel mix I presume. Any pictures?

Oh, Get off line and start building!

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

My railroad is in HO scale, 1:87, so the aircraft would be quite a bit oversized. 
The layout will feature both steam and diesel.  It is an around the room plan with a central peninsula for staging.  I'm just working on the outer portion for now, so this limits the number of actual trains that go on the layout. 
Here goes my first attempt at loading photos to BM:

The three locomotives I use for test trains, to ensure the trackwork is bug-free.

lXR9dIQJibpNc8T2ky0HYczb7iYcUrUTw2cWDZxr

#89 Pulling a test train through the first area with scenery.  Testing if the vacuum got all the lumps.

spacer.png

Edited by Railfan87
  • Like 11

17 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I did wonder if you were the chap that had built a VIA rail coach in his basement....

No, that would be Jason Schron, owner of Rapido Trains.  I have some of his products, but sadly, no stake in his company.

Chris

Some nice looking locos, Rapido are breaking into to the UK Market now. I admit to having an interest in model railways and have some stocks. Great thing is there are lots of kitbuilding can be done and so I can use plenty of  transferable skills. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment on the locos. 

There is a lot of overlap.  I'm getting back into the model aircraft hobby to learn/hone some of the modelling skills that are fairly standard here, but not overly common in the model rail realm.  Part of that is the time required.  I'll have upwards of 100 freight and passenger cars and more than a dozen locomotives.  Add in buildings and other structures and scenery, and it's hard to spend the time finishing every model to the level I hope to bring to my aircraft.  I am, however, approaching a point in life where I can slow down on work and make more time to pursue these and other interests.

Chris

• Like 2

Railfan, many years ago there was a government campaign here in the UK regarding drug use and how it can quickly spiral out of control. It used the strapline:

'He thought he could handle it.'

Now I'm not one to say that model making is like a drug but...

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, IanHx said:

Those are some fine looking loco targets you've made for your scale model aircraft  :)

Charming!  Now I'm on the lookout for 1:87 Ack-Ack guns! 😨

• Haha 1