Airfix Spitfire MkVc Mk Vc N°79 Squadron Momota Strip Admirality Islands 1944

Good evening

I am joining this Gb with the Airfix Spitfire MkVc I will represent one aircraft of Squadron 79 based at Momota Strip Admirality Islands in 1944 

210314102326381338.jpg

The  box art
210307015223702346.jpg

The sprues
 210307015224426984.jpg

210307015224784574.jpg

The decals sheet , the canopy and the Eduard PE Set
 210307015224207327.jpg

I started today by painting the side walls and placing various PE parts

210307062231608698.jpg

210307062231817703.jpg

I also placed the instrument panel on its support and the belts on the seat

210307062232287117.jpg

Patrice

• Like 5

Coming along well Patrice,..... but according to Peter Malone,.... RAAF expert,..... this silver Spit flown by Caldwell never carried the codes CRC.

It was swiftly re camouflaged as he felt too conspicuous flying it in action.

Sorry mate but I thought you might like to know,

Cheers

Tony

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Coming along well Patrice,..... but according to Peter Malone,.... RAAF expert,..... this silver Spit flown by Caldwell never carried the codes CRC.

It was swiftly re camouflaged as he felt too conspicuous flying it in action.

Sorry mate but I thought you might like to know,

Cheers

Tony

Good morning Tony

Thank you for this info so I think I will have to change the subject of my build ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Tony

Thank you for this info so I think I will have to change the subject of my build ..

Cheers

Patrice

Sorry Patrice,..... Peter really knows his onions and if he says that it is wrong,..... then I believe him,... as per this link! 

Personally I would go for one of the other two schemes on the sheet,.... they would still look superb.

Cheers

Tony

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

Sorry Patrice,..... Peter really knows his onions and if he says that it is wrong,..... then I believe him,... as per this link! 

Personally I would go for one of the other two schemes on the sheet,.... they would still look superb.

Cheers

Tony

Good morning Tony

Thank you again and don't worry I will try to find some other decals and change the subject of my build as I really want to build a NMF Spitfire

I have the SMER decals for UP°? aircraft https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sm-r-0871-supermarine-spitfire-mkvc--147075..

I hope this one is accurate ?

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Tony

Thank you again and don't worry I will try to find some other decals and change the subject of my build as I really want to build a NMF Spitfire

I have the SMER decals for UP°? aircraft https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sm-r-0871-supermarine-spitfire-mkvc--147075..

I hope this one is accurate ?

Cheers

Patrice

As far as I know UP-? is accurate,.... I opted for that one myself and there are photos of the real aircraft n my post; .

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Tony

If you allow me I think I will change the subject of my build and represent this aircraft .. I just hope that I won't have any problems with the decals ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

• TEMPESTMK5 changed the title to Airfix Spitfire MkVc Mk Vc N°79 Squadron Momota Strip Admirality Islands 1944

Good evening

During this week end I placed the "bathube" on the right half fuselage and closed the 2 fuselage halves , I glued the horizontal stabilizators

210314063324135338.jpg

I also glued the upper and lower wings together
210314063324396198.jpg

Patrice

• Like 3

Good morning all

I'm going to start painting this kit soon and I'm wondering what the color of the spinner  pan was I found many Spitfire Mk Vc pictures of this unit but most of them are of camouflaged planes the rare photos of planes in aluminum finish does not show the spinner so if you have more info on the subject I would be interested ..

Cheers

Patrice

Good evening

During the week end I managed to start painting the kit in  Humbrol Metal Cote 27002 , the tail in White HU34 and the anti glare panel in Black 33

210321064234509319.jpg

210321064234898408.jpg

Patrice

• Like 4

Being in the midst of trying to finish my Sword version, it looks from your work Patrice that the Airfix version goes together well and does not have any niggles or issues.  That said the Sword kit still probably has slightly finer surface detail than the Airfix, but it is probably OOP now.

The silver finish looks very good Patrice.   Did the original aircraft keep the wing leading edge strips as well as the tail?   Will you be using decals from the spares box or do you have a complete set please?

11 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Being in the midst of trying to finish my Sword version, it looks from your work Patrice that the Airfix version goes together well and does not have any niggles or issues.  That said the Sword kit still probably has slightly finer surface detail than the Airfix, but it is probably OOP now.

The silver finish looks very good Patrice.   Did the original aircraft keep the wing leading edge strips as well as the tail?   Will you be using decals from the spares box or do you have a complete set please?

Good morning Olmec Head

I already built the sword kit a few years ago  I had not encountered any particular difficulties and I agree with you on the surface detail ..

The Airfix kit really goes together well  ..From the only photo I found of the real plane, only the tail and the front part of the cannon fairing were painted white ..

I will use the decals from the old Smer kit ..

Cheers

Patrice

On 3/10/2021 at 11:56 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Tony

If you allow me I think I will change the subject of my build and represent this aircraft .. I just hope that I won't have any problems with the decals ...

Cheers

Patrice

Hello Patrice,.... I used the old Smer kit decals on my modelof UP-?  and they were superb. Good luck mate!

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 7:51 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning all

I'm going to start painting this kit soon and I'm wondering what the color of the spinner  pan was I found many Spitfire Mk Vc pictures of this unit but most of them are of camouflaged planes the rare photos of planes in aluminum finish does not show the spinner so if you have more info on the subject I would be interested ..

Cheers

Patrice

Hello Patrice,..... if you check out the link to my model which I posted earlier,..... as I stated there are photos of the real aeroplane,.... including a full view including the spinner! 

Edited by tonyot

Just now, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hello Tony

I will try to place the decals during next week end , I hope that the Smer kit decals will not pose a problem  ..

Cheers

Patrice

As I said mate,.... the decals that I used were really nice nd no problem at all,..... here is the link to my build which includes the photos of the real aeroplane,.... as posted earlier on your thread;.

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

As I said mate,.... the decals that I used were really nice nd no problem at all,..... here is the link to my build which includes the photos of the real aeroplane,.... as posted earlier on your thread;.

thank you again very much for the link to your build and the photo of the real aircraf ...

Patrice

• Like 1

Looks very good Patrice, Silver is a bold colour to use and it shows off your build very well. 

I think you mentioned on my camouflage Sword version (at least Camo went somewhere to hide my build errors)  that you had built the Sword Vc as well as the new Airfix Vc, which did you find better please?

79 Squadron must have been very bored to have stripped down a Spitfire on a desert island airstrip!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Looks very good Patrice, Silver is a bold colour to use and it shows off your build very well. 

I think you mentioned on my camouflage Sword version (at least Camo went somewhere to hide my build errors)  that you had built the Sword Vc as well as the new Airfix Vc, which did you find better please?

79 Squadron must have been very bored to have stripped down a Spitfire on a desert island airstrip!

Good morning Olmec Head

Thank you for your comment ..

I built the Sword kit a few years ago and I admit that I no longer remember if I had encountered difficulties during assembly or not , regarding the Airfix kit I did not encounter any problems during assembly on the other hand I find that the movable part of the canopy is not really great  and I think that the next time I build this kit I would choose the closed canopy option ..

tonyot also built this kit and he seems very satisfied ..

Cheers

Patrice