Curtiss P-40N 1/72 Special Hobby

Hi folks,

this is the Special Hobby kit built with CMK sets (Engine set, Landing flaps) that required some surgery, along with Rescue Models Intake and Cockpit aft that improved rather simplified kit's parts.

Markings were airbrushed using custom made masks by Omask.cz, based on Massimo Tessitori Soviet Airplane site. The "White 23" belonged to 78.IAP of VVS SF (North Fleet).

I also used great Airone Hobby Fabric effect masks. The kit was painted with Gunze Aqueous, Aeromaster and AK Real Colors.

Cheers,

Libor

51011323298_2e7ba4b6d0_o.jpg

51011323293_54db961e22_o.jpg

51011323263_2af38cd0f5_o.jpg

51012035536_3e930b883b_o.jpg

• Like 70
  • Thanks 1

Very nice, Libor, and I like your choice of markings, too! Question- do you know in which production block this P-40N was a part? IIRC, beginning with the P-40N, the wheels were changed from 30" to 27" to save weight; the wheels on your model looked a little big to me, like the ones on the P-40E through M,  but it might also be the camera angle. Good to see another model from your workbench!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Wow!  No wonder your modelling techniques are published in a book!

I have seen 1/24 and 1/32 models with less detail than your P-40N!

Simply outstanding!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for comments!

Mike: yes, I'm aware there was a change in the wheel diameter, but in this case I wasn't sure so I used the kit's wheels instead of Eduard Brassin smaller wheels I had at hand as well (saved them for my next "N" where the block can be confirmed).

Cheers

Libor

• Like 1

Exquisite work as always Libor. This kit is on my wish list, so it's nice to know how nice it builds up in the hands of a master modeller.     👍

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Magisterial, Libor.  😎

I'm contemplating a very similar P-40N project, presently at the "opening the boxes and clucking over the parts" phase.  Do you have any remarks regarding the CMK engine installation?  Or a WIP somewhere?  Maybe a publication I can buy?  😄

• Thanks 1

Hi Jackson, the CMK set is pretty sound, although not as sophisticated as for instance Eduard Brassin sets which usually address most of the cabling and wiring as well. So this stuff needs to be added on your own here.

As for the WIP, yes, it may appear at a later date in a book 🙂

Cheers

Libor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...