Tamiya 1:35th SAS Jeep completed

Hi all 😎

Started in the mid 1990's but never finished, the build was resurrected summer 2020 and the first full kit completed since returning to the hobby after a break of 23 years. This is also the first kit I've completed using the airbrush and acrylics, having previously used only enamels and brush painting for projects at home, the first attempt at weathering a proper military land vehicle, and the first proper attempt at painting detailed figures.
The kit had previously been part painted and built, so needed completely dismantling and stripping (see the photos in the WiP thread). Paint is Tamiya acrylics, with matt clear coat. Weathering and chipping on the vehicle and jerrycans using a mix of hairspray technique, sponge and finished off with Tamiya weathering powders. The jeep was painted in US Army olive drab with desert yellow over the top for chipping. Figures painted with Tamiya acrylics, skin tones are Citadel Miniatures. Kit is built out of the box with a couple of scratch-built extras: condenser tank pipe made from a piece of electrical wire; bags, water canteens and goggle straps made from paper; jerrycan racks make from thin brass sheet. All other accessories are from the kit.

Comments always welcome! 😊👍

Cheers!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Old classic kits can polish up really well. Top job.👏👍

Thank you Stef! It's been a great kit to get back into the hobby again 😎

Like you say an old classic, the scope it offers to both new builders and old hands is superb, and all the extras should make it appeal to diorama builders too 😊👍

• Like 1

It's great. Having done those extra details so well I reckon you should have sorted those jerrican handles too! 

But it's still one of the best of these kits I've seen made up. And as I said in the WIP, the figures are top notch.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, Carius said:

Very very nice job Rob

Cheers from Brazil

Thank you Carius! Glad you like it 😊👍

8 hours ago, swralph said:

Very nice build Rob.😀

Cheers mate, much appreciated! 😎

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:38 PM, IanC said:

It's great. Having done those extra details so well I reckon you should have sorted those jerrican handles too! 

But it's still one of the best of these kits I've seen made up. And as I said in the WIP, the figures are top notch.

Thank Alan! That's an extremely kind compliment and greatly appreciated 😎👍

Ah! The old 3-handles conundrum 😂 Trouble is I'm a predominantly lazy out-the-box modeller....combine that with a lack of knowledge about military vehicles....well, you get the picture! 😆

If I'd been more clued up, I may have taken the step to source new cans, but for now (or at least as far as this jeep is concerned) I'm leaving in peace on the shelf. Of course, now I'm aware of the handle count, upcoming vehicles with the same issue may not get away with the discrepancy quit so easily! 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

Great model, and the figures look good too; the skin tones are very nice.

Thanks very much for the kind words! This was a really fun little build to do. It was also nice to experiment with being a bit care-free and getting it a bit beat-up and grubby 😎
Considering the kit's vintage, it holds up really well and has great scope for builders of all levels of experience 😊

It looks absolutely brilliant matey, love it!

I'm in the same boat as you, after somewhat of a 25 year break I'm just getting back into it also. 

Bought a good airbrush and compressor and plan to use acrylics like yourself having only used Revell enamel as a kid.

I'm learning LED and fiber optics to encorporate into all future models. 

Good luck 👍,  look forward to seeing more 

Regards 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davidrebolton said:

It looks absolutely brilliant matey, love it!

I'm in the same boat as you, after somewhat of a 25 year break I'm just getting back into it also. 

Bought a good airbrush and compressor and plan to use acrylics like yourself having only used Revell enamel as a kid.

I'm learning LED and fiber optics to encorporate into all future models. 

Good luck 👍,  look forward to seeing more 

Regards 

Cheers dude, very kind of you to say!

There's a lot of us 'old folk' returning to the glue sniffing and plastic fondling of late! I've just spent out on a decent airbrushing (Sparmax compressor and Iwata Eclipse) system after cutting my teeth for a few months on a starter set. For the use it'll get it's certainly worth the outlay.

So you're going proper flash then (pardon the pun) if you're going down the LED/Optics route! Look forward to seeing how you get on with that 😎👍 I'm not feeling that brave just yet (same with all the aftermarket and PE stuff). I'll be leaving that shenanigans to the pro's, quite happy bumbling along with whatever comes in the box for now!

Cheers!  

Have always liked this kit ,it is a kit i first built over 40 years ago,and many time's since. You have certainly created a great model,the painting and weathering are exceptional. Well done 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Have always liked this kit ,it is a kit i first built over 40 years ago,and many time's since. You have certainly created a great model,the painting and weathering are exceptional. Well done 👏

Thanks Homer, your compliments are very much appreciated! 😎👍

12 hours ago, Bagshot said:

This kit is one of the first ones I tried coming back to the glooo lately. But looking at the standard youve created here, think I might have to get a grip and try again. Excellent.!!

Thanks for the compliment Bagshot! I'm sure yours is a fine build as is mate - the trouble is we're our own worst critics in this game! 😊👍

• Haha 1