Tamiya Tyrrell 003 Monaco 1/12

A_S

Going well! This is the first of Tamiya's BIG SCALE kits I built when it first came out. I can't tell you when as it was so long ago! I also built the Renault Turbo F1 kit. As a race Marshal at Silverstone (just 5 miles away) I remember seeing the Renault on it's first time out in the UK! Yes it caught fire! Too tight a bodywork over a very hot engine/turbocharger.

• Like 1

Well that answers two questions...reserve tank and moisture trap...as it has both.

My thinking being irregular pressure...or water in the line...both of which would cause your problems.

If your not having the same issues with other paints/brands...then the obvious answer would me either...not shaken/mixed enough...or a bad bottle of paint...which is not unheard of.

My only other suggestion would be an inline water trap...such as this.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Air-Filter-Airbrush-Water-Trap-Airbrush-In-Line-Moisture-Trap-Filter/332491715806?hash=item4d6a0cf4de%3Ag%3Ajv4AAOSwEEBaN~hj&LH_BIN=1

I used one at my last house...mainly in the winter when weather is damper.

Thanks. I'll have a look at the weekend RE the Vallejo and DFV block. Not much progress to report. got some of the bits to be rechromed sprayed in alcalad base gloss black this evening. couple of days driying and I'll test out the chroming process on my scrap sprues on friday and if this goes well apply to all the front suspension and steering column parts over the weekend...

..but I have decided I will drill out the front suspension arms and replace so those will be left till later. Just need to find a decent price 14ba die, failing that it might have to be 12ba but i need to check the nut size in case its too big. my stock of 14ba look ok but need to test against the kit part which is in my parent's garage still.

Dug out my old stock of brass and steel rod this afternoon to measure and see if I had any 1.5mm rod, was in the box with this.. 70% complete and been sitting in the box for 6 years since i bought my house and lost my workbench space. should really finish it sometime... these things really are a work of art, starting with a flat pack brass sheet. If this build goes well, I'll finish it next. Not really the medium for a thread here sadly.

y4mYVeOfhDg9BPdOjiURhv83Cui2sh9jAUQEShHgy4m51KS-wdWPEOKm7KBAVZOzgRzaCb9I3HKWLbEQy4mFtmUicKHKx10wOEJQejT-OOVASa8NLkrV5xnn

Edited by A_S
  • Like 2

not a lot of progress to report this week. lots of filling on the body and re-filling those bits above. Re-chrommed most of the front suspension parts, waiting to drill out the other arms.

Tried to spray the vallejo again, same problem even at a higher preasure and further away. Just can;t get it right. The only time I can seem to spray it without these water marks is to spray very very misty coats but it doesnt end up in a finish any better than a tamiya x-11 or xf-16 for example. quite bity and sparkly after 4/5 very light coats. 

unfortunately I've lost a part as well. The spotmodel box I was using to transport my bits has a concealed hole at the tongue and I didn't realise - its only a minor bit of the retaining part that holds the roll hoop in, and will be behind the seat, but thats a pain, I might have to try and re-make it if I can't find it. It could be anywhere by now, as I've been carting those bits round in that box for some 6 months. 

a couple of photos

the photos don't show off the chroming too well, when zoomed in, they look better in real time. I'm happy for a first attempt anyway. maybe a little grainy by the looks of the photos though... filler didnt quite work on one of the suspension arms, but I decided not to re-do because once the wheel and hub are on, it will be hidden.

y4mQfSnDvk_kgzDxFR2WL8wpbz2qWEqATSToOGYjy4mD-2kTOThKbQHBdNW2htxuLAh09gRk3Y3cRcCu

and the tub after first coat of filler, left it to harden for a few days and I'll sand it next and then probably fill again... not an efficient way of doing it, but I don't think i want to use the superglue method, as i may sand too much of the plastic away.

y4m0Uypr2X4iRskYvlM9trhEfq-X1mVpwamzEiNh

• Like 1

Looking good :) 

I've got one of these to build at some point, so I'll take the cowards way out and see how you get on first :) 

I love this era of F1 as it was my first memories as a young lad watching it on the TV with my dad, personally I prefer the shapes of these cars to the modern day stuff

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Thanks. A bit more progress. sanded and refilled some of the tub. Hopefully for the last time. I've also drilled out  the front bulkhead and the 4 circles at the front of the tub, I only noticed they needed to be drilled out while doing some research on the bulkhead.

replacement suspension mounts fitted and threaded with 14B bolt. just to re-chrome the arms now and dig out some washers to add to the mounts. Its worked quite well I think. 

In between doing all that I've started preping the bits needed for the front bulkhead. primed and painted. The alclad dull aluminium, again, not sold yet, looks not a lot better than if I'd have used xf-56 or whatever the tamiya flat aluminum is. 

y4md6g0diHfkW53zX9fs3-R7D32_SchwwUHFOxBp

y4me78bH1rrrJhevLs5mhcLE5GD-slEb4941XlIm

y4m3Jaldk6M7Pv6X1VxS94xNgtHDn14SvOWJoBdm

y4m3x-MQdtqqEMQHjQvOajDM2JdDlbAGBkhRVz7I

progress is a bit slow. I'm struggling to clean up the radiator mounts

If anyone has a good way to clean these up let me know. Second go and still look really messy after priming. even my attempts to blend the layers of paint hasn't worked:

y4mgCI8ZaRYciZbkaiH-ToFjc8j5NminvNhAfpvEy4moyDPRPWUp9iUp8UrMv_ovTlY3O3r1jZoxMwSZ

• 5 months later...

ended up having a bit of a break as i got fed up of trying to get the injection holes filled and the surface smooth, plus the opening up of life and summer coming.

picked them up again over the last few days and several hours later (a multiple of 2...) sanding carefully with 600 grit then polishing with 2000 this is as good as i can do i think.

if anyone has any other suggestions let me know

y4mZLvs13HOdLIMMlHfhoIR8jK1YKny2u97Bvtjv

• Like 2

On 31/08/2021 at 22:06, A_S said:

ended up having a bit of a break as i got fed up of trying to get the injection holes filled and the surface smooth, plus the opening up of life and summer coming.

picked them up again over the last few days and several hours later (a multiple of 2...) sanding carefully with 600 grit then polishing with 2000 this is as good as i can do i think.

if anyone has any other suggestions let me know

y4mZLvs13HOdLIMMlHfhoIR8jK1YKny2u97Bvtjv

Doesn't look too bad on the pictures TBH

Have you tried using MrSurfacer 500

Not the spray but out of the bottle applied with a brush, it's a really thick filler primer which I have used to get rid of a few sink holes / ejector pin marks in the past

Might be worth a shot

Ian :) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

progress is slow, but its coming along. 

y4mbT5ziOpFCfmPo4NgCelzhOra3Uiv6NivhdJs-

y4mtq9OuIGuRxyZobdbMDusOmxildSmlWs0CTOFG

ans somethings never change...

y4mRZVlnSD55UCdybvchnyMRE5I1H2BqiR1FO-pg

anyway, i'm just trying to decide what shades to paint the brake disks and calipers. the calipers are a very flat white colour but i cant yet find a white enough flat enough silver. thinking tamiya titanium silver for the discs and the recomended xf-56 metalic grey for the hubs.

i also need to paint the photo etch buy ivr had a nightmare with this in the past. both zero etch primer, my dad's brass train primer and tamiya keep pealing at fine edges and dont seam to stick! i am concidering good old halfords car primer as i used this on brass trains in the past but i'm loathed to buy another one after specifically buying zero for this purpose!!! my mood wasn't helped when i opened my cabinet to check out the metalic silver/grey colours on some other models only to find yet another problem with pealing, on the corner of both vents. this was zero paints etch primer on brass. I think I did 3 or 4 coats too. Not overly fixable now... expect another post asking for recomendations soon!

y4mLeGmgB7no4DtyFNUq--BxjR6U_aoY027MEDyL

• Like 1