RAF Mustang III D-Day stripes

Nearlymen

Hi,

I've picked up one of the ICM 1/48 RAF Mustang III kits and I'm rather taken by the 316 sqdn polish scheme in d-day stripes with a red/white spinner, but I've a query about the d-day stripes application that someone out there may be able to help me with ?

The artwork on the instructions shows a white stripe on the upper surfaces of the elevators, and a quick trawl around th web brings up some photos showing such stripes. Thing is though what happens on the under surface ? Some built models have no stripes on the underside of the elevators, some have a white stripe, but the box artwork for the ICM mustang shows a black and white stripe under the elevator (port side), also the instructions for the trumpeter 1/32 mk III show this black and white stripe on the underside of the elevator whilst the other has just a single white stripe ?

I'm curious, does anyone have some back story info on the elevator stripe applications on RAF mustangs ? I'd be interested to know a little more !

Cheers

Clive

The white stripes on the upper tailplane were part of the identification markings added to the P-51 and P-47 to help distinguish them from German types to the local AA.  They comprised white stripes above and below the wing, above and below the tailplane, and on the fin and rudder, together with a white tip to the nose.  They preceded the D-Day markings and these over-rode the stripes on the wing. 

Red and white spinners were not applied until the first few days of March 1945. You can have red and white spinners or invation stripes but not both. The example in ICM kit had invasion stripes. In March 1945 316 Squadron had different aircraft.

A-ha ! This is why I like this forum, you always get just that little bit of extra info that helps a great deal ! Thanks Graham that explained everything nicely, and a quick follow up to 303sqdn, with invasion stripes then you shouldn't have the striped spinner, if so what was the front cowling and spinner colour ? Was it just plain white ? Plain red ? Or just camo ?

Cheers and thanks for the answers

Clive