Hi all 😎

This is the 1996 re-box of the original tooling released by MPC in 1983. Kit is built straight out-the-box. Base colour Halfords white primer (spray can). Display stand Halfords satin black (spray can). All other colours and weathering hand/brush painted with Humbrol enamels with some scuffing using a worn out piece of 3M super-fine sanding sponge. Model originally started in mid 1990's but not completed before the hobby was put to one side due to work and family commitments. At the time, the bulk of the paintwork was completed using a paused VHS copy of RoTJ for referencing. Finished (finally!) late 2020 by completing the cockpit, pilot and canopy, with some minor touching in due to 20+ years storage damage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Comments always welcome 😊

Cheers!

Edited by Rob Henderson
  • Like 15

33 minutes ago, Fletch0311 said:

That looks fantastic, great work! 

I've just got the Bandai 'smaller than this version' at 1/72 

Cheers Fletch! It's showing its age with the details now, but back in the day I'm pretty sure this kit was the only option out there!

I've not added any Bandai kits to the stash so far, but I've heard a lot of very positive comments about them 😎

27 minutes ago, Rob Henderson said:

Cheers Fletch! It's showing its age with the details now, but back in the day I'm pretty sure this kit was the only option out there!

I've not added any Bandai kits to the stash so far, but I've heard a lot of very positive comments about them 😎

Bandai kits are in a class of their own, they're so well engineered. And the detail on them is amazing.

My only gripe with Bandai is most of their Star Wars figures/characters are quite toy-figure looking when complete.....they have noticeable joins where they have gone for articulation over a just supplying a final pose so you see the joins in the elbows and knees etc.

They're vehicles and spaceships are incredible though 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fletch0311 said:

Bandai kits are in a class of their own, they're so well engineered. And the detail on them is amazing.

My only gripe with Bandai is most of their Star Wars figures/characters are quite toy-figure looking when complete.....they have noticeable joins where they have gone for articulation over a just supplying a final pose so you see the joins in the elbows and knees etc.

They're vehicles and spaceships are incredible though 

I guess they're using a similar process to the Gundam figures...plus it potentially opens the hobby up to a greater range of customers if they're able to keep a playability element in the mix once the build is complete.

5 minutes ago, Rob Henderson said:

I guess they're using a similar process to the Gundam figures...plus it potentially opens the hobby up to a greater range of customers if they're able to keep a playability element in the mix once the build is complete.

Yeah I suppose. It's the same with them supplying stickers and decals so you can use what you're comfortable with dependent on your age/ability 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Looks beat up and rebellious! Very nice.

Thanks very much! It's not the most accurate kit of an A-Wing out there nowadays, but certainly a simple and fun little build! 😎

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

20 years in storage has given it that “worn out” look George Lucas was going for when he directed the original Star Wars. Very nice work.

I don’t recall seeing this kit in Australia back in the day (1983) so I wonder whether it ever made it to our shores. Bandai’s recent release is a welcome addition to the lineup.