1/72 Piper Pawnee, Deeside gliding club tug

Hi all

I have just finished this little kit, a nice kit but I didn't fancy the kit options so did one I liked from an image search on Google. 

The kit is quite a nice kit, although I had to add some bits of my own.

The bracing between the struts and the wings, the mirror,  the chin spoiler, landing light  aerial mount, rear visible framework under the tailplane   rudder actuators and aileron actuators. Red flashing beacon and mount and the Exhaust were also scratch built.  Rigged with invisible thread and brush painted with Humbrol enamels,  the black pinstripes are from the border around the Airfix SuperFreighter kit decals.

I know the font for the codes is incorrect but it was the closest I could get hold of.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

• bigbadbadge changed the title to 1/72 Piper Pawnee, Deeside gliding club tug

Very nice! :)

Coincidentally, I'm adding markings to mine this morning but it wont be a patch on yours 🙄.  

Pinback

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Great as a former skydive pilot I wouldn't mind a bit of tugging in something as unique as a Piper Pawnee. 

Great little aeroplane. 

Thanks Noel, very kind 

1 hour ago, Pinback said:

Very nice! :)

Coincidentally, I'm adding markings to mine this morning but it wont be a patch on yours 🙄.  

Pinback

Thanks pinback for you kind comments,  I am sure yours will be lovely and will look out for it . It's a nice kit although they missed out quite a lot.  I do regret not detailing the cockpit though. 

Thanks both

Chris

Hi Chris,

Lovely finish and a great backdrop too - is that new?

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hi Chris,

Lovely finish and a great backdrop too - is that new?

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks fella, very kind of you. I got the backdrop from another kind BMer (Andy Dyck) last year and just printed out an A4  sheet and use it for appropriate models. I am not that great with photography so I am pleased I can add something in the backround that actually looks good. 

Chris

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

Thanks fella, very kind of you. I got the backdrop from another kind BMer (Andy Dyck) last year and just printed out an A4  sheet and use it for appropriate models. I am not that great with photography so I am pleased I can add something in the backround that actually looks good. 

Chris

Looks better than good Chris! I also think you're underselling your photography - looks awesome mate!

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

an amazing Pawnee ! I believe it’s not easy in this scale , especially the paintwork! Very good job! 
And the piccies on the the airfield looks very realistic! My congratulations! And thx for using the backdrop! You are on a good way ! 

Cheers 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Looks better than good Chris! I also think you're underselling your photography - looks awesome mate!

Thanks mate, you are being very kind and that is a great confidence boost,  very much appreciated fella. 

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice! :clap2:

Thanks dnl42

5 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

That is really really nice! Great work!

Thank you, very kind.  It's quite a nice kit and goes together well.

3 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Chris,

an amazing Pawnee ! I believe it’s not easy in this scale , especially the paintwork! Very good job! 
And the piccies on the the airfield looks very realistic! My congratulations! And thx for using the backdrop! You are on a good way ! 

Cheers 

Andy 

Hi Andy, thank you very much for your kind comments it was a bit of a balancing act with the paint and wash as not to overdo and ruin the finish , I did panic a couple of times Too!!!

Thanks I am pleased with yours and Rogers comment re my photos,  I appreciate that from you both and it is a great boost to my confidence.  Thank you.   Thank you for the backrounds as well, they are wonderful. 

Chris

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Stunning work Chris she's a little beauty very well done mate 👏

Makes me want to get one now small enough to get past the Minister of Finance I think 😃

Thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn  it is a sweet little kit and goes together well .  You could sneak one by the domestic authorities and place into the stash, that way when asked you can say, I have had that one for ages, don't you remember me getting it???😄

Chris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Super modelling and an unusual subject. The paint and markings (those cheat lines!) are great and the weathering looks spot on. Looks great against the backdrop too.

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian  very kind.  I saw one on here done as Dusty Crop Hopper and was really pleased as a kit had been released . The decals that come with the kit are very colourful, but I was looking for something a bit different and found the real aircraft online and just had to give it a go especiallyas I am painting lots of yellow anyway at the moment. It is an unusual subject, I would love to see a large-scale kit of the type. The detailing possibilities on it would be amazing. 

Thanks

Chris

1 minute ago, Eric Mc said:

Lovely.

What kit is it?

Thanks Eric , it is the KP kit and there are two versions this kit had European and UK markings and the other kit has Australian and New Zealand markings I believe.   There aren't many parts   a single sprue but apart from needing to shorten the wing struts by around 0.5 mm  is it went together well. I would recommend the kit. 

Chris

That is superb Chris, you do not see many crop dusters modelled, love the ' in use ' look you have achieved, and well presented on a very convincing background.

I loved watching the crop dusters back in the 1960s and 1970s. I remember watching a Pawnee spraying a field near our village in Suffolk in the 1960s.

resized_7b8edf5e-366a-4545-b383-c54b9949

I did a gliding course at Rufforth near York in 1991 and had an aero tow behind this Pawnee.

regards, adey

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

It's nice to see more general aviation subjects being released - and being built. I wish there were some more.

Yes there are some lovely models now still lots more needed!!!

1 hour ago, adey m said:

That is superb Chris, you do not see many crop dusters modelled, love the ' in use ' look you have achieved, and well presented on a very convincing background.

I loved watching the crop dusters back in the 1960s and 1970s. I remember watching a Pawnee spraying a field near our village in Suffolk in the 1960s.

resized_7b8edf5e-366a-4545-b383-c54b9949

I did a gliding course at Rufforth near York in 1991 and had an aero tow behind this Pawnee.

regards, adey

Thanks Adey, there are not many models done, hopefully the KP kit will remedy that.

What a cracking image of the Pawnee, it was quite hard to find a good rear end image (fnarr fnarr) which shows the Dihedral  but yours shows it a treat,  that is one thing wrong in the kit and the main struts needed a bit taken off to get it right.   Thanks for the image.

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

Nice and interesting subject. Well done!

Thanks Roberto, very kind

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jyguy said:

Very neat, really enhanced by the attention to detail. tough aeroplane the Pa25.

Thank you jyguy for your kind comments,  they do look a rugged machine and have an unusual look which makes for a great subject to model.

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

This is absolutely brilliant and on the strength of this I’ve sourced one! Well done👍

TT

Thanks TT very kind and great to know you have got one , a very nice compliment.   Good luck with the build it is is an enjoyable kit.

If you get into any difficulty with the decals I have the complete sheet apart from the walkways  from the European release, which you will be more than welcome to if you need it.

Chris

• Like 1