Antonov AN-225 with Buran ,Revell and Ark Models 1/144

This is Revell's AN-225 kit "light"

It has no interior and no landing gear.

Compared to the original release,it also features the old paint scheme.

When I saw that kit in my local modelshop,I had the idea of building it together with the Buran,as the AN-225 was origially planned for.

Ark Models recently released with the Buran their first own tooling and as its also in 1/144,I ordered it right away.

The second issue features a large decal sheet with all markings and the distinctive paneldesign.

I can highly recommend this kit.

The parts are crispily molded,no signs of flash or sinkmarks.

The fit is absolutely perfect.

It offers 2 cargo door options,open (2 parts) or closed (1 part).

I slightly modified the latter part to be removable to offer a view into the Shuttle.

I build the whole Buran in just one evening...painting and decalling it was another matter though😉.

The decals are superbly printed as well and are great to work with and fit perfectly on the model.

The only downturn of the otherwise top notch kit are the decal and paint instructions.

No hints on colors on the instructions make painting the model correctly a tricky task.

The decal placement is also not shown clearly and some decals have to be guessed where they belong.

Thats the only criticism I have on an otherwise great kit.

The build of the giant AN-225 was also pretty straight forward.

Fit is good,the only problem is the construction of the model.

Revell's way of designing the kit makes a segmented build impossible.

Except the engines,the whole aircraft has to be build completely before painting,otherwise seams and gaps would be visible.

Due to the dimensions,it was impossible for me to paint it with the airbrush as it doesnt fit in my paint cabin at all.

Here I used Revell gloss white from rattle cans for the all white fuselage,sprayed on my balcony.It was equally challenging...

The engines are airbrushed with Revell gloss white 04.Metallic parts are Gunze metallics.

As I wanted to mount the Buran on top of the AN-225,I had to scratchbuild the suporting mounts.

Search for decent pictures was not easy and required a lot of time.

I used leftover parts from a Revell 747 SCA and Evergreen plasic tubes strenghtened with wire.

As the AN-225 wore CCCP registry and the USSR flag back in 1989,I had to raid my decal and kit stash to find those bits and pieces to create the  Combo as it appeared at the Paris Airshow in 89.

Revell's decal set offer the old livery but with new ukranian flag and registration.

It was a time consuming build,also my first scratch build experience,but also interesting and fun.

The next problem is finding a place for it...Its just huge !

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Your model is beautiful! I'm curious to know why it is impossible to paint the model with an airbrush, unless its size would make for a v-e-r-y long painting process and spray cans expedite the process. I'm open to being educated.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Your model is beautiful! I'm curious to know why it is impossible to paint the model with an airbrush, unless its size would make for a v-e-r-y long painting process and spray cans expedite the process. I'm open to being educated.

Thank you very much.

Well,maybe it was impossible for me to airbrush it.

My space were I paint my models is not very large and due to the dimensions of the model it doesnt fit into my paint booth at all.

While working on itat my workbench,I knocked it several times on the table corner and cabinet.

Therefore my only option was using rattle cans to paint it in open air.

Others may have more space to move it around and are therefore able to airbrush it.

49 minutes ago, mitchem said:

You've done such a cracking job on this, I'll let you off the hook regarding the missing undercarriage  🤣

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

I still have the first release from Revell with full interior and all the beautiful wee wheelies 😉

That one will come with open cargo doors and lowered front gear,when I get around building it.

Space is also getting rarer and missus is starting to look a bit irritated watching me walking around the house searching for display space...😊🙄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

I still have the first release from Revell with full interior and all the beautiful wee wheelies 😉

That one will come with open cargo doors and lowered front gear,when I get around building it

Open cargo door...... so that the cats can sleep inside!? ;)

Absolutely amazing BTW :goodjob:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Open cargo door...... so that the cats can sleep inside!? ;)

Absolutely amazing BTW :goodjob:

Thank you very much.

They would surely go inside if they would fit through the cargodoors😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks superb, immaculate finish. And decalling the spacecraft must have been a nightmare.

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian.

Lets say it had a therapheutic feel after 2 hours spent on a 1/4 of the shuttle 😂

Edited by Alex1978
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

Very impressive. Would look great paired with a 747/Shuttle.

Thank you very much.

I have currently 2 747SCAs on the bench.

It takes a long time to build these as the shuttles are of a questionable quality.

19 minutes ago, Viking said:

Spectacular!  I agree with Eric, you ned to do a 747 & Shuttle to go with it.

Cheers

John

Thank you very much John.

As mentioned,2 747-SCAs are on the bench.

The 747s were actually finished some months ago but the Space Shuttle kits are a pain as well as the Shuttle mounts for the 747s

.I still try to figure out how to attach them on the fuselage, as the Shuttles are quite heavy.

17 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much John.

As mentioned,2 747-SCAs are on the bench.

The 747s were actually finished some months ago but the Space Shuttle kits are a pain as well as the Shuttle mounts for the 747s

.I still try to figure out how to attach them on the fuselage, as the Shuttles are quite heavy.

Be aware that you may need to adjust the mounts depending on the configuration of the Shuttle/747 combination.

The attachments were a bit different for the 747/Shuttle glide flights conducted in 1977 compared to the set up for the normal ferry flights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Piece of museum for sure! 

The An-225 must be a beat on your shelf at 1/144! I admire your patience and eye for Buran's interior details! Me and my dad are about to start our Shuttles: 1 at 1/144 scale and another one at 1/72 (If I'm not wrong). 

I got speechless when I see your models for real! Just continue with your great work Alex! :D 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

Piece of museum for sure! 

The An-225 must be a beat on your shelf at 1/144! I admire your patience and eye for Buran's interior details! Me and my dad are about to start our Shuttles: 1 at 1/144 scale and another one at 1/72 (If I'm not wrong). 

I got speechless when I see your models for real! Just continue with your great work Alex! :D 

Thank you very much.

If you are building the Revell 1/144 Space Shuttle,be aware of some serious fitting issues.

I have currently (since 2019) 2  747SCA Shuttle Carrier on my bench on and off.The 747s are done but the Shuttles are a pain.

I dont know about the 1/72 kit but the smaller are terrible.

• Like 1

The kit my dad is currently building among with the L1011 is that one with the rockets and with the launch tower. Actually he noticed a horrible fit in the orange external tank already! I will advise him about that! Thanks Alex! 

• Thanks 1