McDonnell-Douglas DC-10 Travel Agency Model repainted 1/100 Fratelli Cesana

About 3 years ago,I found this desktop model on a aviation fair in Switzerland for about 45 Euros.Back then with Finnair markings.

It was seriously damaged,as it probably "crash landed" .The rear fuselage was broken and had been glued back on somehow,leaving some nasty gaps and missing fuselage pieces.

The rest of the plane was intact,just the airline markings showed its age and the white fuselage had yellowed in some places.

Earlier this year I decided to finally repair and repaint the model.

It was first planned to repaint it in Finnair colors,as it originally was.This decal set is offered by f-dcal,but as I usually have to wait "ages" for the decals to arrive from him almost every time ( my Aerolineas Argentinas 747SP decals are still NOT here,since early december),I decided to buy the Continental decals from 26decals.

They are very nice to work with and Ray is very fast and reliable with the printing and dispatch.

The original marking were large stickers as it was usual back then for such models.

With paint remover everything was cleaned.Then the repair work started,reattaching the back and repair the gaps and seams using putty and superglue.

The wings were pushfitted so the whole section could be repaired and painted as a separate unit.

On the upperside of the wings I recessed the flaps and slats as well as the rudders on the fin and tailplanes.

The whole model was primed with Tamyia grey and white primer and paints are also from rattle cans Tamyia pure white,aluminium and Revell light grey.

The engine exhausts and wing engine intakes were brush painted with Gunze metallics.

As the model was devoid of any details,such as cargo doors and airvents,I ordered the superb detail set from NAZCA to further enhance the appearance.

Gloss coated with Gunze gloss from a rattlecan.

This renovation took a bit more than a month and it was a fun task.

The overall shape of the model is quite good and the new decals and added details breathed new life in this classic.

Cheers

Alexspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 27

I would like to have seen pictures of the model before you went to work on it. But from your description, you started with a mess and ended up with a jewel. It doesn't get any better than that. Congratulations!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I would like to have seen pictures of the model before you went to work on it. But from your description, you started with a mess and ended up with a jewel. It doesn't get any better than that. Congratulations!

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately I didnt take any photos in its previous state.

3 minutes ago, chrisbob12 said:

That's a very attractive result, thank you for sharing. What material was it made from?

Thank you very much.

I am not sure.Either some kind of plastic or resin.

Its very hard material and usual modelling glue (i.e. Revell) does not work on it.

• Like 1

That's a gorgeous looking DC-10 Alex 👍

I have a DC-10 and two other models from the Cesana brothers myself, which I am also going to restore. Hopefully to the same excellent result as yours. 

The A321 had a "hard landing" as well, it has been glued before but broke again.

Would you recommend superglue to finally fix it? Thanks in advance! 

Johnny b 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

That's a gorgeous looking DC-10 Alex 👍

I have a DC-10 and two other models from the Cesana brothers myself, which I am also going to restore. Hopefully to the same excellent result as yours. 

The A321 had a "hard landing" as well, it has been glued before but broke again.

Would you recommend superglue to finally fix it? Thanks in advance! 

Johnny b 

Thank you very much Johnny b.

Just had a look at your thread...whoa...they look seriously damaged.

I would recommend superglue to repair.

I used it on my DC-10 as mentioned above and it worked fine.It can also be used to support putty and help to fill small gaps.

Once the glue hardened ,it can be sanded and it wont shrink as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Alex.

I see you live in Switzerland, will there be any aviation or modelling shows taking place this year you think?

I live in the southern part of Germany myself (only a short drive from the Swiss border) and I don't think much will happen here in Germany this year, unless the vaccination program will see some rapid progress. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks a lot Alex.

I see you live in Switzerland, will there be any aviation or modelling shows taking place this year you think?

I live in the southern part of Germany myself (only a short drive from the Swiss border) and I don't think much will happen here in Germany this year, unless the vaccination program will see some rapid progress. 

I dont know if there will be any.

Usually there is one at EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse in the departure hall.

Its not very big but interesting.

Last year was cancelled and according to their homepage,its planned for this year,although not date has been issued yet.

The biggest one is in Bassersdorf,near Zurich Airport.

Its superb and theres a lot to see...and to buy.

Its every year on the last sunday in november.

Check  www.aviatikboerse.ch

A date for this year has been issued but also last year it was cancelled on a very short notice.

So,there is no guarantee on 2021.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

I dont know if there will be any.

Usually there is one at EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse in the departure hall.

Its not very big but interesting.

Last year was cancelled and according to their homepage,its planned for this year,although not date has been issued yet.

The biggest one is in Bassersdorf,near Zurich Airport.

Its superb and theres a lot to see...and to buy.

Its every year on the last sunday in november.

Check  www.aviatikboerse.ch

A date for this year has been issued but also last year it was cancelled on a very short notice.

So,there is no guarantee on 2021.

The Aviatikbörse is looking really good! Let's hope things have improved by end of November 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a fantastic  restoration   you have done a wonderful job and it looks stunning. 

Chris

Thank you very much Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Another beauty Alex that looks really impressive very well done 

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thank you very much Eamonn

• Thanks 1