Airfix 1/600 HMS Daring

I made no major alterations to this kit other than drilling out the port holes,  the 5" gun barrels were replaced with rod stock as the kit ones were just blobs, the anchor chains are PE as I had to remove the molded in ones to get the deck/hull joint filled/smoothed in that area, and I added PE railings and the direction finding radar on the top of the main mast and the antennae are stretched sprue. With very careful parts clean up and assembly, it built up rather nice looking, I think, especially as these molds date from 1961!

PXL_20210306_183131973 PXL_20210306_183057143 PXL_20210306_183036217 PXL_20210306_183042214

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Gidday Gamevender, that's a very tidy build you've done, I love it! 👍 I did one of these OOB about 45 years ago, long since lost, and it was nowhere as good as yours. I've got another two to do. Being Australian I plan on HMAS Vampire/Vendetta and HMAS Tobruk/Anzac (Battle class conversions).

Are you sure about the 1956 date? I've only been able to ascertain a kit date of 1961. The reason I ask is that there is a proposed "Kit Older Than Me Group Build" proposed here. At my age (born 1956) there aren't a lot of options for me.

Back to your build, I agree about the clunky gun barrels, I'll replace mine too when I finally do the kits. But guardrails and sea bases are out of my league. Yours look very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

A lovely job on both of those GV, I recently missed out on a Daring kit, I was keen to do it either as Vendetta as she visited here when I was a kid or Duchess, Voyager's replacement, which visited here numbers if times with trainees on board later on. Seeing your Daring makes me doubly irked. :(

Steve.

20 hours ago, 73north said:

Just a heads up that Frog of UK did a 1/315 scale of the Daring class - 2 great models here , well done .

I'm pretty certain that Frog didn't do a Daring, you maybe thinking of their 1/325 Battle Class, initially released as HMS Trafalgar but also boxed as HMS Cadiz IIRC.

Coincidentally, Peter at Atlantic Models has both a 1/350 Battle and Daring Class on his future projects list.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Gamevender,

Excellent build. I did my first one in the sixtys. Brings back lots of memories.

Regards, Orion

• 6 months later...

Hey gamevender (and others)

I've just bought this kit. My Dad served on HMS Diana (D126) which was one of the 8 British daring class destroyers built. The only difference between Daring and Diana was that Daring was DC powered and Diana was AC powered. I'm new to model building (other than some half hearted attempts as a kid!) and was interested in the additions of railings and gun barrels. Do you have any info of the sizes you used particularly of the PE railings? Apologies if this is a rather pedestrian question!

Thanks in advance

The railings are 1/600 scale generic railings. I used the ones made by Tom's Model Works, who also acquired White Ensign Models PE stock. They are available via the internet at www.tomsmodelworks.com.  If you haven't worked with PE, I'd suggest watching a few on-line videos as while not difficult, it can be tricky. As to the gun barrels, they were made from appropriately sized plastic rod stock from Plastruct. I'm pretty sure a local hobby shop or model train store near you would stock it or something similar. 

On 06/03/2021 at 19:53, gamevender said:

PXL_20210306_183042214

Hi,

very nice model despite its age and simplicity.

I have one small remark.

I think you fixed Squid mortar opposite direction. It was ahead-throwing weapon, missiles were throwed over the hull and bow, similair to earlier Hedgehog. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_(weapon)

Here you can see very interesting photoHMS Barrosa steaming over triangular pattern formed by her Squid projectiles. Double Squid mortars can be seen at the end of the after deckhouse  (from http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMBR_ASW.php  )

apr-17-2012-flower-of-submarine-death-in

And two Squids located on HMCS Haida's rear deck:

28046473373_68da331c5c_b.jpg

Best regards,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

Hi Gamevender,

You have made two beautiful models which demonstrate skill and patience I no longer have.  My last 1:600 warships were HMS's Nelson and Hood over 50 years ago.  I particularly like the sea effect on your Daring and the wake is "magic".  Michal (socjo1) raised an observation which hopefully will not be too hard to fix.  His pictures highlight a discovery I picked up while drawing some plans for Battle Class destroyers: the Squid mortars are "handed" in that there are starboard side and port side versions so that the pattern of the charges exploding in the water is not all in the same line and thus "rack" the submarine.  As far as I can determine, the central bomb barrel in each version is pointed a little inboard relative to the other two.  I'll get around to completing the Drawings one day.

Best wishes for the Festive Season, Rod

6 hours ago, Rod Davies said:

the Squid mortars are "handed" in that there are starboard side and port side versions

Gidday, I didn't know that. The info will come in handy (definitely no pun intended 🙂) when I come to do mine. Eventually. Regards, Jeff.