Chrome recomendations and process

A_S

Hi all

Just wondering what everyone does for re-chroming? I read a thread posted mid last year but that was mainly around suitable paints for a real car rather than the process of chroming.

I've followed this tutorial on some test parts and it works well, but its a real faf - from memory (it was about 6 months ago I did my test peices) its

1.) Prime

2.)Zero paints Jet black

3.) Zero paints 2k clear (requires mixing a 2/3 part mixture)

4.) then waiting about 2/3 days and then chroming with Alclad before..

5.) finally clear coating with alclad clearcoat.

I really like this channel and it has some great tips but I am not sure if all that is overkill or not.... Especially the 2k clear step before chroming.... I asked the chap who runs the channel and he said its a must, but really? 

What does everyone else do?

I'm rechroming all suspension and metal parts on a 70s 1/12 F1 car so I have quite a lot to do! 

Thanks

This is what I do and it is a bit less of a faff:

1. (This is the important bit.) A good and very smooth gloss black base. (Tamiya lacquer or AK's black base.)

2. AK Extreme Metal Chrome lightly sprayed until the effect you are happy with. A heavy spray makes it go a bit weird so good trigger control really helps. (A buffing with a chrome graphite powder can lift some bits if this happens.)

The base is important to because any scratches in the black will show through to the chrome.

I haven't used any clear coat on top and it hasn't degraded.

• Like 1

Although the brand name needs looking at it does looks very impressive. They both work very well and the black out of the can gives a fantastic finish. That could save a bit of time rather than getting out the airbrush and all the cleaning that entails. Cheers.👍

Thanks for the suggestions. I may try doing the chroming without the step of 2k clearcoating as most replies have not included this step in their workflow. 

The spray does look good, which reminds me of the molotow option. I test sprayed a wheel rim and it does seem to work well but i am not sure how robust it is, certainly painted with the pen it takes a long time to harden

• Like 1

I bought a bottle of "Mirror" by Stuart Semple's Culture Hustle.  It's expensive, but a little goes a long way, and the finish is stunning with very little effort.  You can brush it on for small areas, but through an airbrush it is utterly gorgeous, and after a couple of days it's robust too, and takes a coat of Klear or Aqua Gloss with no lessening of sheen.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just watched the video again and I now realise why he clear coats it. Zero paints all dry Matt. Not sure why he has to 2k clear it though but all the same that would be the reason

• Like 1

Another one to consider if you can't be bothered with all the priming and clearcoating. I have just tried Mr Color Super Chrome 2 (SM206) for the first time and it sprays fantastically and leaves a lovely chrome coat. It will show bumps and scratches if you don't prep the plastic properly, like me, and this is where a primer does come in handy, but not overly neccessary.

• Like 1