Airfix 1/72 A-4Q Argentina 🇦🇷

almac

Afternoon all. My contribution to this GB is yet another Airfix A-4Q.  Stevej60 and John Masters are also building this and I thought about doing something else as I have a fair few to pick from but this one is one I’ve wanted to do for a while so we have three in this GB.

This one will be mostly OOB apart from a Quickboost seat and a TER and MK 82 Snakeye from a Hasegawa Weapons set. I will also fashion the circular antenna thingy on the tail from something, I’ll work that one out later. The resin seat will be a test of my detail painting which is not a skill I have but I’ll give it a go.

Anyway, here’s some pics of the kit and bits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 8

Afternoon all. Some progress over the weekend. The rudimentary cockpit is painted and in place as are the intakes and tailpipe. The intakes were not the best fit and I covered the joins with sprues goo and when dry I’ll sand and rescribe.spacer.png

spacer.png

The look a bit messy now but should clean up ok. The resin seat will be done later. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 8

Yeah ARMADA! means business....there’s loads of us armed to the teeth don’t mess, definitely jumps it up a notch.

• Haha 1

Morning all. Some more progress last night. I sanded down the sprue goo filler on the intakes and it’s nice and smooth now. I’ve been looking at the other Airfix builds in the GB and they look if the intakes were less problematic. I think the poor fit on mine, and another I did a while back, happened because I put the intakes on after the internal intake parts were fitted. I have another kit I may do for this GB and I’ll try putting the intakes on first to see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, wings were assembled and fitted to the fuselage with no issues, with jjust the join at the rear underside neading tidied up. 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Evening all. For me this is a super fast build! I’ll soon be ready to start the painting. Small bits and bobs fitted today without much issue.  Some cleaning up needed but not too much. The tailplanes are not glued on, I’ll leave them off to make the painting stage easier.
I’ve been looking at pictures of this plane which show it being loaded with bombs during the Falklands war and it’s got a MER and I think eight mk82 snakeyes so I’ll need to hunt for more. 
Just looking at my poor efforts at scribing on the underside which need redoing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 7

Just won an auction for Hasegawa weapons sets 1-4 for £25 so I’m well stocked for munitions now 😀

Cheers Allan

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, almac said:

Just won an auction for Hasegawa weapons sets 1-4 for £25 so I’m well stocked for munitions now 😀

Cheers Allan

You did well there Allan, and as you say you should be well stocked for whizz bangs for quite a few builds.

• Like 1

Afternoon all. Not much to show for this week. I’ve tidied up the seams and errors in prep for starting the painting. Unfortunately I’ll probably have to revise my open canopy with the Quickboost seat as the canopy has given me some issues. One of the canopy sprue joins is in a really daft place between the two prongs that fit into corresponding slots in the fuselage. There was also lots of flash and the plastic is really brittle which made removing it very difficult. Needless to say I made an a**e of it and broke the prongs and they don’t fit well. So I think I’ll have to cut them off, close the canopy and fill the indents.

Hopefully I’ll get something done today but with the Milan -San Remo bike race on Eurosport and bikes needing major maintenance maybe not.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, one week later and not much progress. I spent some time correcting my savage attempts at rescribing. I am truly awful at this even though I attempt it on most of my builds. So for this one no more rescribing for me. Any way last night I painted up the kit seat and masked and glued the canopy on. Having let it set overnight it looks ok. Tonight I’ve been bodging a minor modification to the kit by making the semi-circular antenna on the tail. This was done drilling holes into the tail at the appropriate area, I think, and then supergluing the ends of paper clips into the holes. It sounded simple to me but was tricky but I’ve got them on. They probably will get knocked off and disappear into the ether at some point but I’ve got lots of paper clips should or when that happens.Anyway here are some pics of what I did.

The first shows the holes I drilled next to my principal reference picture.

spacer.png

Next up is how the kit looks for now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I may prime the model tonight as I’m not too tired yet.

Cheers Allan

Edited by almac
  • Like 6

Well I attached the refuelling probe and sprayed Mr finishing surfacer 1500 for the primer. All was going well and then I broke the refuelling probe! I’ll keep it off till the end and hopefully it’ll go back on ok. I really like the Mr surfacer primer as it gives a nice smooth base for painting. Hopefully that can continue tomorrow.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

Nice work Allan.

The aerials on the tail are a very noticeable feature of the A-4Q and your solution to them looks very good to me. Nice smooth paint job too with the primer, should make a great base for the paint.

Don't worry about knocking off the refueling probe, something that anyone who builds Skyhawks has done before and will probably do again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah good rings, great idea. I used rubber coated wire but the paper clip idea definitely adds finesse. Drilling holes too, another good tip, I just glued them on and hoped they stayed.

Looks nice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1