Since the Skyhawk STGB has just started I've decided my next build will be an RNZAF A-4K Kahu. I'll be posting this both here and in the STGB - will try not to duplicate posts, maybe I'll alternate posts between the two GBs. But to start with I'll post the traditional box shot here:

Hasegawa A-4E

The Kahu was an upgrade of the A-4K, giving it new avionics, radar, a glass cockpit and new weapons capabilities. The kit doesn't include the bits for the upgrade (there was an A-4K boxing of this kit that included most of them, but not the instrument panel or HUD) so I'll be attempting to make my own by 3D-printing them. I've made a start on the CAD, should have something to print soon.

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

Finished the CAD and printed the parts today - here are the instrument panel, wingtip RWR antennas and fin VOR/ILS antennas, plus spares:

Kahu parts

Hope the instrument panels fit. Only one way to find out... 

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 13

On 3/7/2021 at 11:09 PM, zebra said:

Finished the CAD and printed the parts today - here are the instrument panel, wingtip RWR antennas and fin VOR/ILS antennas, plus spares:

Kahu parts

Hope the instrument panels fit. Only one way to find out... 

thanks for looking

Julian

This is awesome, I cant believe no one has commented on this!  I absolutely love what you are doing here with that print.  I have spent years working on a 1/32 one for the Trumpeter Kit, I have the final test prints and they look great.  Barracuda will be releasing the conversion soon.

In the meantime, LOVE IT!

Cheers Anthony

26 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

This is awesome, I cant believe no one has commented on this! 

I agree, though in my defence, I was viewing it earlier on my cell phone. Seeing on a decent sized monitor, it really is impressive. Now, if I could just get someone to scale them to 1/72............... :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:09 PM, zebra said:

Hi Julian,

Saw your post in The A4 GB (haven't been here in a bit)

This is Model Building at a whole new level :).

Look forward to how this progresses

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Julian,

Saw your post in The A4 GB (haven't been here in a bit)

This is Model Building at a whole new level :).

Look forward to how this progresses

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan. Not so much a whole new level, more like a bit of 21st century scratch building! My old fashioned scratch building skills are nowhere near good enough for this, but the CAD work is easy enough with practice and the printers have become relatively affordable and straightforward to use. So it’s opening up new opportunities for me and I’m really enjoying it.

• Like 2

Looking at the IR sensors I believe they are too big as you commented on my thread. The overall shape is very good though. The only difference to the A4K parts is a line round the head marking the end of the sensor.

Colin

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:11 AM, Colin W said:

Looking at the IR sensors I believe they are too big as you commented on my thread. The overall shape is very good though. The only difference to the A4K parts is a line round the head marking the end of the sensor.

Colin

Thanks to your measurements the revised ones look much better and the print is curing right now. Better get on with the rest of the build!

On 3/11/2021 at 5:04 AM, Boman said:

How did the test fit go? 

Not perfect, I needed to remove a bit of plastic from the kit and a bit of resin from the side of the coaming, and narrow down the front of the coaming as well (kind of expected I was going to have to do that), but it's going to fit. Going to try and get the decals on it and the rest of the cockpit done this weekend so that I can get the fuselage together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Julian quick question for you, as there are a few K’s being built both here and in the Scooter build. What are your plans for a load out ? It would be a shame if they all were close or identical. 

Dennis

I'm going for a pair of Mavericks and a pair of AIM-9Ls, with a 400 gallon tank on the centreline - since I'm building a Kahu it should be a Kahu load out, and I've found a good photo online of a Kahu in this configuration. I've got resin stores on their way from the 48ers. What are you planning?

• Like 1

Nice work on the HUD and choice of weapons load.

I've got a blog post on the RNZAF A-4.

https://hamfisted-modeller.blogspot.com/2020/06/modelling-rnzaf-skyhawk.html

I'd be interested in a copy of the HUD, RWR antennas and VVOR antennas in particular 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calum said:

Nice work on the HUD and choice of weapons load.

I've got a blog post on the RNZAF A-4.

https://hamfisted-modeller.blogspot.com/2020/06/modelling-rnzaf-skyhawk.html

I'd be interested in a copy of the HUD, RWR antennas and VVOR antennas in particular 

Thanks Calum. I've been using some of the info on your blog already, it's an excellent resource.

I'm happy to share files if you have access to a printer. Or can send you copies of the parts. They just come with a disclaimer that they're all based on measurements from photos on the internet, so I can't vouch for their accuracy. Send me a PM if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Time I posted an update here instead of the STGB. Fuselage is assembled - the IP will go in from the top. I've also reshaped the airbrakes to get them flush with the fuselage. All pretty straightforward so far.

A-4K Kahu WIP

Next up will be the intakes, and I must get the IP and seat in so that I can close up the cockpit. Despite the work on the IP and HUD, I'm going for a closed cockpit, as I haven't really put much effort into the rest of the cockpit.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got the camouflage colours painted this weekend. Airbrushed freehand using AK Real Colour and Tamiya paints. The Gekko Graphics instructions recommended a 50/50 mix of interior green and 34102 for the light green, Tamiya Field Blue for the grey, and 34092 for the dark green, so that's what I went with.

A-4K Kahu WIP

A-4K Kahu WIP 3

A-4K Kahu WIP 2

thanks for looking 

Julian

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julian 

That's quite a production line of kits you have on the go there.

Please be careful you are in danger of showing boys can multitask, and it's a slippery slope for us all domestically if that secret gets out !

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

On 5/1/2021 at 7:16 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Julian 

That's quite a production line of kits you have on the go there.

Please be careful you are in danger of showing boys can multitask, and it's a slippery slope for us all domestically if that secret gets out !

Cheers Pat 

I don't think there's much danger of this being confused for multitasking. There's a difference between having 4 builds on the go and actually managing to build them all at the same time! I've made a bit more progress on this one though - most of the decals are on now:

A-4K Kahu WIP

• Like 6

Matt coat done and masks off:

A-4K Kahu WIP

A bit of silvering became a bit more obvious under a few decals after the matt coat. I'm not sure what more I could have done - I had a good gloss coat, used micro set and sol - but these decals didn't want to fully cooperate. One of the white reflective stripes - the one under the left intake - really didn't want to cooperate and flew off into the distance when I was spraying on the matt coat! A little disappointing, particularly since these decals were great the last time I used them (although that was the best part of 20 years ago) but I'm still pretty happy with the result.

cheers

Julian

• Like 5

17 hours ago, zebra said:

A-4K Kahu WIP

A bit of silvering became a bit more obvious under a few decals after the matt coat. I'm not sure what more I could have done - I had a good gloss coat, used micro set and sol - but these decals didn't want to fully cooperate. One of the white reflective stripes - the one under the left intake - really didn't want to cooperate and flew off into the distance when I was spraying on the matt coat! A little disappointing, particularly since these decals were great the last time I used them (although that was the best part of 20 years ago) but I'm still pretty happy with the result.

cheers

Julian

oh dear!!! another unfortunate member of my  decal nightmare club (all 3 of my last builds have had decal issues!)!!!  :crying:

What decals were you using, the Gekko set? Mine were great the first time I used them but this time.... they didn't handle the ageing at all, strange I have decals nearly 40 years old and they are still ok.  I managed to get a really nice glossy coat but they still silver in a couple of spots....when they weren't falling apart! 

A real pity as the paint job looks awesome!  :thumbsup:

A needle and some decal softening solution should fix it

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 9:43 PM, zebra said:

A-4K Kahu WIP

cheers

Julian

Yup that looks great Julian!  I am really enjoying this thread, I am looking forward to seeing her on her gear...as I am sure you are too!

Keep up the great work

• Thanks 1