FW 190 with wrong wings?

Kitescreech

Ive just ordered the Tamiya 48th D-9, and its been nagging me that I read (or heard) that there is a kit out there which is based on a preserved 190, but the preserved plane had the wrong wings put on it while being restored. Is this correct, and if so is it the Tamiya kit? (and if so, is it a big problem?)

There are lots of accuracy issues with this tamiya kit.  The landing gear bother me the most.  Too small and it doesnt sit properly like a Dora did.  The landing gear bays are another issue.

The kit builds nice and would be easier than eduard.  I built the eduard.  Its a tough build but be patient, and you will be rewarded as it looks great.

I left my tamiya on the pile of doom....  not to be built, or give to a kid.  But even still, a nice build can happen, it comes down to how fussy you are about accuracy.

The Tamiya JV-44 boxing has the corrected wing. Several aftermarket companies produce properly-sized 190 wheels in resin which will help correct the "sit" of the plane, and there are also aftermarket engine "plugs" and wheel well detailing kits for these and the Trimaster/Dragon/Italeri kits, which suffer from some of the same issues.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Werdna said:

The Hobbyboss 1/48 D-9 is well regarded - and probably cheaper than the Tamiya kit, too..

The HB 190D gun hatch is not accurately shaped.  Too bad as it is a nice kit

2 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

The HB 190D gun hatch is not accurately shaped.  Too bad as it is a nice kit

I doubt if there is a 'perfect' Dora in 1/48.   Detail accuracy is one thing, but it still 'looks right' when built up, which the Tamiya kit certainly doesn't.

• Like 2

I'd take the HobbyBoss kit over the Tamiya kit (and have). The Eduard kit isn't perfect either, nobody ever mentions it but take a close look at the profile of the air intake from head on and compare to photos. You'll soon see what I mean and it'll bug you every time you look at it from then on.

Duncan B

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Werdna said:

I doubt if there is a 'perfect' Dora in 1/48.   Detail accuracy is one thing, but it still 'looks right' when built up, which the Tamiya kit certainly doesn't.

I really liked the HB 190D kit and was hoping for resin fixes like have been done for the  HB Ta152C.

I just cant get past the terrible shape of the gun hatch.  It is flattened on top and does not have the charateristic sculpted humps.  Looks wrong from the side view.

Very hard to add material and sculpt material and get both adjacent humps to look identical.  Better off buying up all the 1/48 Fw190A8 kits that have separate hatches and try to find one that fits up.

I tried it and gave up because the ones i tried didnt fit.

I was scared of the eduard complexity and reviews of it, but in the end, built the eduard kit and it was far easier than i was imagining.  The current eduard Dora kit is based off the difficult to build early fw180A tooling.  Eduard has completely retooled this fw190A, and hopefully will do the same with the D in the future.

I'm not a 1/48 modeler, although I do have a half-dozen kits in the scale, but I know a good model build/kit when I see one. The Fw-190v18 has always been one of my all-time favorites and long, long ago in a galaxy far away, I did a 1/72 conversion long before the MPM kit was released. See the link to a build of the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit that looks pretty darned good to me; there are several other builds on the 'net you can find, so it must be a pretty good kit! How Hobbyboss can do such a good job on a relatively obscure airplane and screw up on so many  popular and well-preserved airplanes always mystifies me, and that goes for many of their 1/72 releases, too! What a nasty-looking Wurger!

Mike

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/galleries/fw190v1848rs_1.htm

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Fortunately this does not have the gun hatch issue!

But it looks like it does have some v18 related issues! See the linked Falke Eins article that discusses the real airplane as well as the Hobbyboss kit. Sounds like all the kit issues are minor and pretty easy to correct.

Mike

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2018/03/focke-wulf-fw-190-v18-hobbyboss-48th.html#:~:text=The Focke Wulf Fw 190,roots%2C partially buried in fillets.

I just now found another kit review and build article that might be of interest in building the HB kit.

https://modelpaintsol.com/builds/the-hobby-boss-148-fw-190-v18-kanguruh-part-one-basic-construction-and-painting-updated

Edited by 72modeler
added link

Just in the middle of a (slow) multi build of  Fw190D9s,  The Tamiya , 'cos I wanted to use all the bells and whistles bits I had collected over the years,  ( MDC engine ,cockpit, Eagle parts, etc. ),    Eduard and Hobbyboss .  The Tamiya is as stated above but I'm looking forward to how she looks when finished with all the improvements, including the undercarriage.     I am quite disappointed with the Eduard kit , seeing from reviews and builds that it was fussy to put together, but thinking it was generally accurate, however after  looking at a lot  of drawings  ( and finding that THEY all differ) and plumping for the Koichiro Abe ones in the back of Crandalls  Vol.One as most accurate,   I realised it left a lot to be desired, as well as the position of the supercharger intake as noted above ,there is the well known fat tail, too wide canopy, shallow cockpit and numerous small details that are not right.  The Hobbyboss kit is a joy to put together by comparison, but , too flat fuselage gun hatch, too flat rear under fuselage, iffy cockpit, engine detail that needs a lot of extra detail to be acceptable.

What I've realised is that we do not have an accurate or modern Fw190D9 in 1/48 scale and we need one with Tamiya and Hobbyboss  buildability, with good engine, cockpit, undercarriage, gun cover, propeller ( VS111), radiator cowling etc. detail, and exhausts that can be fitted at the end ( like Tamiya) and of course an accurate outline.     (BTW, though not building one at the moment, ( no engine detail) I have been looking at the old Trimaster kit as I've gone along and to be fair they made a petty good fist of it for the time)

My conclusion is that we need, 1,  Eduard to redo theirs, as they did with the A's,   2, Tamiya to have another go with an updated kit or 3, someone else to have a go and jump in with one , what happened to ZMs plans of a few years back? ( though not as complicated as their Ta 152s please) !.  

Cheers.

• Like 2

Agree with Hal.  While the HB 1/48 Dora kit is good, I'm baffled by HB's decision-making in turning out several obscure (to the point of being practically non-existent) Ta-152C models, and the Fw190V-18, but making no attempt at a 152H (which actually did see service) or any sign of a Fw190A.  I just can't see any logic there at all.  Rant over.

• Like 1

I do have a HB Ta152c in the stash and agree it would be great if they did an H.  I bet they are nice and buildable, just frustrated at the accuracy issues...

I loaded up with all the resin fix parts for the HB ta152c.  Overall it will cost more than a Zoukei Mura Ta152h kit!

On 3/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, Duncan B said:

I'd take the HobbyBoss kit over the Tamiya kit (and have). The Eduard kit isn't perfect either, nobody ever mentions it but take a close look at the profile of the air intake from head on and compare to photos. You'll soon see what I mean and it'll bug you every time you look at it from then on.

Duncan B

According to the Valiant wings book, the Eduard D-9 intake is 'upside down', ie the upper shape should be the lower and vice versa.

Did anybody ever do a correction for this?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 9:04 PM, Kitescreech said:

Ive just ordered the Tamiya 48th D-9, and its been nagging me that I read (or heard) that there is a kit out there which is based on a preserved 190, but the preserved plane had the wrong wings put on it while being restored. Is this correct, and if so is it the Tamiya kit? (and if so, is it a big problem?)

I dont build 1/48 these days (no space) but in the past I built several 1/48 Tamiya D9's I sorted the wheels via a friend with a talent for resin casting. However as a matter of course I sanded the "sabrinas" over the cowl guns down somewhat and filled and re-scribed the panel line where the forward cowl part joined the fuselage to a lower point behind the cooling gills. Not the most accurate but more satisfying to the eye. Note however that the Tamiya kit is considered to have 'banana' fuselage in profile and as to the wings it is mainly in the area between the wheel bays. the moulds on the older kits were from the radial 190A kits and thus included the exhaust arrangement. for the radial BMW donk. I think there was a shell ejection chute missing too ?  I never liked the dihedral on the Tamiya either ...far too much.  the issue with the open wheel bays came up later but I bodgied up an engine lump and made moulds that fitted both the Tamiya and Tri-Master/Dragon, DML,/Revell kits with a bit of fettling. I much preferred the tri Master kit but the Tamiya was cheap and plentiful!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 7:33 PM, Bozothenutter said:

According to the Valiant wings book, the Eduard D-9 intake is 'upside down', ie the upper shape should be the lower and vice versa.

Did anybody ever do a correction for this?

Yes, it's upside and mirrored. I don't think there is anything you can do to fix the part other than replace it as the intake will still be too low relative to it's base.

Here's a coupe of photos that probably explain it better than words can. Firstly the part as it fits to the kit.

4962C6BF-9A4F-4C99-BF43-AEBD866D5AAF_zps

Now with the fuselage part upside down

F1BBB757-1404-4A3B-8352-BE5B0ABB7365_zps

The real thing, note that the long face is on the underside of the intake so the actual intake is slightly higher than the centre line of it's base.

45CD7D7E-246E-42B2-B1EE-91B1748FBCC0_zps

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Yes, it's upside and mirrored. I don't think there is anything you can do to fix the part other than replace it as the intake will still be too low relative to it's base.

Here's a coupe of photos that probably explain it better than words can. Firstly the part as it fits to the kit.

The real thing, note that the long face is on the underside of the intake so the actual intake is slightly higher than the centre line of it's base.

Duncan B

Pictures and a thousand words!

And nobody did a fix?

Any kits that got it right?

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Pictures and a thousand words!

And nobody did a fix?

Any kits that got it right?

Quickboost do an intake for the Eduard kit though I have know idea if it's correct ( would be in interested to know as I have the kit )

I

It's a real shame that Eduard seem to have no interest in redoing their Dora series.

22 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

Soooo, copy the mount from the kit, get some tubing and start sculpting....

Or indeed, scan the damn thing...

https://m.all3dp.com/2/5-best-3d-scanner-apps-for-your-smartphone/

Edited by Bozothenutter
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:21 PM, Tbolt said:

Quickboost do an intake for the Eduard kit though I have know idea if it's correct ( would be in interested to know as I have the kit )

I

It's a real shame that Eduard seem to have no interest in redoing their Dora series.

The Quickboost intake was for the D-11/13 so not the same as the D-9

Duncan B

13 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

The Quickboost intake was for the D-11/13 so not the same as the D-9

Duncan B

Your right, I just check the pictures of it and it does appear to be the smaller intake, my mistake.

• Like 1