Hasegawa TA-4J (OA-4M) - Finished

29 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Great job on the NLG!!

I did it the easy way and took the Eduard wheels...this set includes the lower part of the leg. So you can just cut away the original part, drill a hole in the leg and insert the resin part.

Hi Alex - annoyingly I only found out that the Eduard ones included that part after I had done this, otherwise I would have taken the same route. I now know for the next one though 👍

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 12:13 PM, Peter W said:

Hi Alex - annoyingly I only found out that the Eduard ones included that part after I had done this, otherwise I would have taken the same route. I now know for the next one though 👍

At least you didn't completely freak out on that gear.

I did and it killed my mojo...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is some fantastic detailing on the brake lines Alex, absolutely superb. You can do mine if you like. :) 

Thanks Craig!

I really had a lot of fun doing that, but then kid's homeschooling started and my missus had some great ideas what I could do at home while I'm on reduced working hours. 

Boy...wish I could get back to 100% 😜 Even working every day on a Scarebus...oops, I mean Airbus...is more fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Thanks a lot Pete and sorry for hijacking your thread. Won't happen again 😁

Hijack away Alex, don’t ever a problem when it contributes to the thread 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Hi Pete, have you been able to do any more progress on your excellent OA-4M?

Hi Craig, yes but not moving as quickly as I’d like. I’ve got some paint, bottom and one top colour, on it but not there yet. There should be some pictures soon though, just need to get a little bit more focused.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back....

Not the most inspiring of pictures nor updates but I thought that I'd better post something to show that I'm still doing something, even if it's at a snail pace. All the colours are on and it's all shiny, ready for decals. I'm finally at the stage where it starts coming together.

5CPkuu4.jpg?1

Back.. sometime soon

Pete

• Like 8

Back with another small update but some good steps having been taken. I started to get the decals on and it soon became obvious that the colour mismatch between them and the paint is quite huge. I used Hataka FS34095 Field Green but it's not even close to the decals. In fact, when I then had to touch up a bit of green on the decals, I used Xtracrylix FS34092 to match them. I therefore have no idea which one is correct but not going to lose too much sleep over it now. The longer I look at then the less annoyed I am, so onwards and upwards. The decals went on without too much trouble but there's always one and this one was one of the MARINES decals that caused me a bit of grief and led to the aforementioned touching up afterwards. Thankfully there weren't that many so didn't take too long. After that I added some dirt using Flory-models dark dirt, which got me here:

jpJfacg.jpg?1

4NcUDQi.jpg?1

H1mEWLw.jpg?1

Next was to add some of the loose bits and get it ready for a matt coat:

PpXHlHs.jpg?1

xiKpt0i.jpg?1

I'm trying to work out what sort of armament that the OA-4M would carry and, as far as I can see, a combination of LAU-10/A Zuni and AGM-45 Shrike on the outer pylons wouldn't be wrong. If anyone knows different then please let me know before I go too far down a wrong avenue.

Pete

Edited by Peter W
  • Like 5

Very nice work Pete, she is looking great.

Getting the colours of decals and paint work to match up can be very troublesome as I have had both decals and paint that are not the colours they claim to be which leaves touching up inevitable. 

For the stores on the outer pylons I would be inclined to go with the LAU-10 as these aircraft were primarily used for fast FAC duties.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Pete, she is looking great.

Getting the colours of decals and paint work to match up can be very troublesome as I have had both decals and paint that are not the colours they claim to be which leaves touching up inevitable. 

For the stores on the outer pylons I would be inclined to go with the LAU-10 as these aircraft were primarily used for fast FAC duties.

Thanks for your thoughts on the weapons Craig. I am really struggling to get any definitive information on this part of the OA-4M. 

Pete

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peter W said:

I am really struggling to get any definitive information on this part of the OA-4M. 

There is surprisingly little information out there for anything to with the OA-4M including the weapons carried by them, the best thing to do is to scour through any pictures of them you can find in service.

OK, so there I was beavering away on this one and suddenly it was finished. I had a couple of great days modelling over the weekend and crossed the finish line today.

Last picture here and then off to update the gallery.

ciF4tkG.jpg?1

This group build has been great fun and can't wait for the next one now.

Pete

• Like 7

• Peter W changed the title to Hasegawa TA-4J (OA-4M) - Finished

Well that turned out absolutely fantastic Pete.

I really like this scheme and you have done a great job on it. Good to see that you found some Zuni pods for it too, they look very good. The weathering is very nice and subtle and highlights the details and gives her a "used" look without being overdone.

Thanks for taking part in the GB and well done on producing such an excellent model.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Well that turned out absolutely fantastic Pete.

I really like this scheme and you have done a great job on it. Good to see that you found some Zuni pods for it too, they look very good. The weathering is very nice and subtle and highlights the details and gives her a "used" look without being overdone.

Thanks for taking part in the GB and well done on producing such an excellent model.

Thanks Craig, it’s been a fun group build to take part in. I’m now going to poke my head above the covers and take a look at the other builds. I’m so guilty of focussing on my own build and missing all the good stuff going on, including your’s which turned out looking great. 

Pete

• Like 1