Simulating silver dope covering on fabric surface

whaynes

I'm one of those enamel-using dinosaurs, ( Me and  @tonyot are brothers from another mother when it comes to enamels!) so my go-to mix for silver doped finishes is either Pactra flat aluminum ('way before your time, I bet!) or Modelmaster flat aluminum with a few drops of light grey added, which not only makes it look right, but also spray better through my airbrush. Flouquil old silver, brite silver, or platinum mist, which I also have, mixed with a few drops of light grey also look about right, but like the Testors Modelmaster  enamels, they are long gone. I've heard good reports regarding  the Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum, which I think  is AS12, but has to be decanted into a bottle, as IIRC it is only available in a rattle can. I'm sure those who are much better versed in the new acrylics, such as the AK, Hataka, or Vallejo brands might be better equipped to help you. If you end up using one of the flatter acrylic aluminum paints, you might need to overcoat with a clear satin or semi-gloss to get the sheen that is visible on aluminum doped aircraft when they are new. When you look at photos, you will see what I mean. Hope this helps a little until the experts come along!

Mike

• Like 1

I use Tamiya Flat Aluminium from a bottle - XF-16 - with either their varnish or Kleer to get a gloss for decals and then your choice of flat or satin to seal in the decals.

• Like 2

Another enamel user, but also acrylic

I put on a base coat of Humbrol 56 Aluminium enamel, then a coat of Humbrol 56 & 11 mix that has a very small amount of light grey in it. This gets matt varnished

Hawker%20Fury%2C%201%20sqd%2C%2002s-M.jp

• Like 5

Seems to me, if one is going to end up clear-coating anyway, doesn't make sense to start with a flat metallic, which is just going to make it harder to apply decals. I'd go with one of the Alclad medium gloss finishes -- probably Duraluminum or High Speed Aluminum, apply the decals directly, and then use some mix of gloss and flat clear to achieve the desired sheen.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I've heard good reports regarding  the Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum, which I think  is AS12, but has to be decanted into a bottle, as IIRC it is only available in a rattle can.

There's no need to decant it any more, as it's available in a jar as LP-38. It's a lacquer, though, as are all the Tamiya spray paints.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 2:16 AM, 72modeler said:

I'm one of those enamel-using dinosaurs, ( Me and  @tonyot are brothers from another mother when it comes to enamels!) so my go-to mix for silver doped finishes is either Pactra flat aluminum ('way before your time, I bet!) or Modelmaster flat aluminum with a few drops of light grey added, which not only makes it look right, but also spray better through my airbrush. Flouquil old silver, brite silver, or platinum mist, which I also have, mixed with a few drops of light grey also look about right, but like the Testors Modelmaster  enamels, they are long gone. I've heard good reports regarding  the Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum, which I think  is AS12, but has to be decanted into a bottle, as IIRC it is only available in a rattle can. I'm sure those who are much better versed in the new acrylics, such as the AK, Hataka, or Vallejo brands might be better equipped to help you. If you end up using one of the flatter acrylic aluminum paints, you might need to overcoat with a clear satin or semi-gloss to get the sheen that is visible on aluminum doped aircraft when they are new. When you look at photos, you will see what I mean. Hope this helps a little until the experts come along!

Mike

Can I join the enamel dinosaurs band of brothers? I too an enamel addict - have been ever since I started modelling - and that's a loooong time ago.

Peter M

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 4:17 PM, whaynes said:

And, 72 modeler, I'm 72, so , yes, I remember.

So am I! I knew I liked you for a good reason! You know what they say, "Old age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm every time!" :giggle:

Mike, aka God's Older Brother, as Missus 72modeler calls me all the time!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

So am I! I knew I liked you for a good reason! You know what they say, "Old age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm every time!" :giggle:

Mike, aka God's Older Brother, as Missus 72modeler calls me all the time!

Huh!! You are mere youngsters!

Peter M

Vallejo Metal Color do a set https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/sets/metal-color-sets-en/aluminium-dope-77603/ with instructions. I haven't used this particular combination but I have used Metal Color Aluminium and Jet Exhaust on a recent EE Lightning and it came out very well.

On 3/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, keith in the uk said:

Humbrol Metal coat , polished Aluminium , works every time

Wot Keith said. 

I always use Humbrol Polished Aluminium from an aerosol can, applied over a grey primer base. It takes two or three coats to get a smooth finish. I then apply a couple of coats of Future/Klear before decalling, then I cover the lot with well-thinned Humbrol Matt Cote using an airbrush:

20201229_094604

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 4

Like @Massimo Tessitori I'm a fan of Revell Acquacolor Aluminium. I brush paint so it's important to use thin coats which have been thinned with Flow Improver. I use a fairly large brush, in comparison to the small 1:72 planes I make, and the brush lightly charged, close even to dry, as for dry brushing and then lay down thin coats always brushing the same way. Although acrylic, the Flow Improver will also retard drying enough to let the paint be brushed out nice and smooth. Here's a CMK resin Nimrod that's nearing completion. 

resized_1964ad66-e794-4d8a-8df8-516b7d59

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

For lacquers Mr Metal Color 218 Aluminium mixed with just a few drops of gloss white gives a nice representation of doped silver fabric.  The pigments are very fine and don't appear too grainy.  Even in the smaller scales.

spacer.png

• Like 7

I've used Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium - a dash of white or pale grey makes it look slightly used and seems to eliminate any metallic particle appearance!

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Putty Animal,

If that's the CMR resin  Sparrowhawk in 1/72, you either have incredible eyesight and monkey hands  or a spider and a three-inch whip! Awesome little model, and I do mean little! Good on yer!

Mike

Hi Mike, it’s worse than that I’m afraid.   It’s made from scratch in 1/144 scale. :)

• Like 3

Hehe thanks.  It’s certainly a cutie.  
I forgot to mention earlier for anyone adding white to their silver; be careful not to add too much.  The silver actually appears darker with the more white that you add.  It’s a good idea to mix some and paint a test piece first before committing to the finished model.