1/72 - Bell X-2 "Starbuster" by AZmodel - released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bell X-2 "Starbuster" by AZmodel - box art+schemes - release in 2021

Is there enough difference between the two airplanes to justify producing two separate kits? Perhaps they're expecting double the sales?

On 3/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, SAT69 said:

Is there enough difference between the two airplanes to justify producing two separate kits? Perhaps they're expecting double the sales?

The second model, 6674, had the conical nozzle extensions, shortened strut for the main landing skid and the "whisker" skids in the wings were removed or disabled. But that was only later in the test program, before it crashed. Of course this comes out now that I built my Alliance resin version. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I questioned that, but it seems to be their policy on most subjects. It probably does increase sales slightly, but I doubt it's double.

Personally I'm glad it's not another 'What If' like their X-3 and SR53 companion kits.

Mike

Edited by Mike N

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Where does 'Starbuster' come from? Surely that would be a Lockheed name? I'd assume that even if the X-2 did have a name, it would be more like 'Airasonic'...

I did a bit of research on the 'net and found "Starbuster" was a nickname, most likely a Bell in-house thing. As far as I can tell, it didn't have an official name.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bell X-2 "Starbuster" by AZmodel - box art+schemes+sprues+decals+test build - release in 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bell X-2 "Starbuster" by AZmodel - box art+schemes+sprues+decals+test build - release April-May 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bell X-2 "Starbuster" by AZmodel - released
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, Homebee said:

176637-1.jpg

I'm intrigued by the Option 1 scheme above. I can't find any photos showing red wing and fin tips as shown, only a hint of a different colour on the wingtips (over a smaller area than shown) in some B&W shots. Can anyone provide evidence of the kit scheme?

Mike 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 19:35, Mike N said:

I'm intrigued by the Option 1 scheme above. I can't find any photos showing red wing and fin tips as shown, only a hint of a different colour on the wingtips (over a smaller area than shown) in some B&W shots. Can anyone provide evidence of the kit scheme?

Mike 

It may be for its movie appearance in the 1950s ...I think TOWARDS THE UNKNOWN?  I'll check my copy when I get home ...

• Like 1

I got my kit yesterday and thought I’d share my initial thoughts.

As usual for limited run kits, the single grey plastic sprue has flash on several components and has a slightly rough texture which will need sanding smooth.

The cockpit has the bare essentials and there are decal seatbelts, which I think will probably look fine through the canopy. The nose wheel and leg is one piece and somewhat marred by flash. The X-2 had various skid arrangements during its life, the kit offering both the tip skids and whisker skids mounted at mid span, though no photos I've seen show both options fitted at the same time. The latter parts are very fragile looking, I will be replacing the struts with metal rod if I choose this incarnation, even though I think they don’t touched the ground when level – but I know it will roll at some point! Unsurprisingly there is no ground handling trolley supplied.

Regarding accuracy, I don’t usually investigate these things but something about the kit had me suspicious. I struggled to find drawings of the X-2 to compare the kit to, but one I did find showed a near perfect match in profile, with the fin being a touch high. The wing looks good in shape and size too, however it is definitely too far forward. Not relying solely on the drawing, I scaled a few photos and I reckon it is around 10mm out. Unfortunately this spoils the look for me, but it will require major surgery to fix as the first few mm of the wing root are moulded into the fuselage. The tailplanes are good in outline but appear not swept quite enough.

The instructions are a bit vague and haven’t been proof read, but are adequate. The decals are well printed but have quite a lot of excess carrier film around some items. It still annoys me that they couldn’t have included both X-2s in the same box, but AZ obviously expect this will generate more sales.

Overall, I'd say it’s not a bad kit for the money, and if you can live with the wing location error it will look good on the shelf.

Mike

Edited by Mike N
Update to landing skids comments
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Homebee said:

French top modeller Philippe Martin says it's just a plastic copy from the vintage Alliance Models resin kit with better cockpit details.

Not the first time and not the last one, I'm afraid. 

I may have missed something, but if I remember correctly, they never showed accurate 3D renders of those models that were supposedly developed in CAD, and which the modellers pointed to as copies of earlier products.

But if accurate 3D renders were shown, I'd love to see them.

• Like 1