Star Destroyer Decals (1005 for Bandai 001) 1:14500

Star Destroyer Decals (1005 for Bandai 001)

1:14500 GreenStrawberry

boxtop.jpg

The Star Destroyer was the first Imperial ship to be seen in the iconic opening scene of Star Wars, that some strange people now refer to as “A New Hope”.  To me it will always be Star Wars, because I’m of a certain age.  Bandai have been working hard to fill lots of gaps in the available Star Wars kits for a few years now since they took up the mantle from Fine Molds when the Sequel Trilogy began, and they have a huge range of kits now, including the Vehicle range that this set of decals is intended for.  They are pocket-friendly kits both in size and cost, but painting details at such a small scale can be taxing to us modellers with normal skills.  I’ve had the original Vehicle scale Star Destroyer on my desk since it was first released because I became locked into an indecision-loop on how best to paint it.  I’m sure I’m not alone.

This set from GreenStrawberry, my favourite source of Sci-Fi detail sets, aims to help with that issue for this kit and they have a new but expanding range that so far extends to the Super Star Destroyer and the Death Star, both of which have complex paint schemes in such a small scale, plus a few others for the two variants of Slave-1.  The set arrives in a clear film package with their usual dark-themed card package wrapped around a stiff card insert, a sheet of decals and instructions on where to put them.  The decals are very well detailed with multiple colours, lines and greeblies that will bring out the best in your model, with the visual guide showing you where each individual part goes.  The printing is crisp with good registration, colour density and sharpness, and will look best when laid down on a light greyish coat of paint that has been glossed to obtain better adhesion.  My go-to Star Wars paint is Xtracrylix XA1137, so that’s what I’ll be using once I find the bloomin’ model!  I intend to use this set to demonstrate the effect of the decals, as I think they will do a better job than I ever could with my shaky hands and poor eyesight.

1005.jpg

Although the decal printers aren’t named on the sheet, the colour of the backing paper and style of print reminds me of the decals often used by the likes of Special Hobby or Eduard, who are also in Czechia as the Czech Republic is now known.  They will doubtless settle down well with the use of your preferred decal solution, and as long as you don’t try to rush it and apply more decals in one session than is sensible, the results should be excellent.

Conclusion

I got quite excited when I saw these sets in GreenStrawberry’s recent newsletter, and was very keen to try them out.  I went looking for my completed Star Destroyer kit and found it, and hope to show you the results when I’m done. 

There is also an alternative set for the personal Star Destroyer of Admiral Thrawn, who appeared in some of the well-loved books that are still considered canon under Disney’s ownership, and had a rather fancy scheme applied to his ship to pick him out from the crowd.  I’ve added a link to that below.

Highly recommended.

Star Destroyer (1005)

bin.jpg

Admiral Thrawn's Chimera Star Destroyer (1001)

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Thanks 2