WW1 MkV Male Heavy

22 hours ago, edjbartos said:

I've totally missed this somehow, lovely work you have done so far, so many nice details you have put into the model, looks really first rate....👍

Ed

Thanks Ed, truly appreciated 👍 I am really pleased with it, even though it could be a bit better, those stripes were the worst thing so far, but very much enjoying it, got a simple dio in mind for it. 

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 5:53 AM, mbthejester said:

Thanks Ed, truly appreciated 👍 I am really pleased with it, even though it could be a bit better, those stripes were the worst thing so far, but very much enjoying it, got a simple dio in mind for it. 

Cheers

Mark

I think the stripes are perfect actually!

As modelers we try to get everything just right but in reality the stripes were probably quickly slapped on by hand, in the field, by guys who had already been at war for 4 years and complained bitterly about the job with every brush stroke.

What they would not have been is a beautifully straight and even coat of spray paint even at the best of jobs. 

A bit of weathering and they will totally look the part. 

Oh... And the track should be a rusty colour. They were just low carbon formed steel and would have surface rusted if you sneezed near them muchless out in the weather. 

Edited by Tcoat
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

I think the stripes are perfect actually!

As modelers we try to get everything just right but in reality the stripes were probably quickly slapped on by hand, in the field, by guys who had already been at war for 4 years and complained bitterly about the job with every brush stroke.

What they would not have been is a beautifully straight and even coat of spray paint even at the best of jobs. 

A bit of weathering and they will totally look the part. 

Oh... And the track should be a rusty colour. They were just low carbon formed steel and would have surface rusted if you sneezed near them muchless out in the weather. 

Thats Brilliant thanks, the track colour has been bugging me only colour photos are modern museum shots and they do not look right, so Grey coat of something, then a nice build up of a rusty wash. 

Cheers

Mark

3 minutes ago, mbthejester said:

Thats Brilliant thanks, the track colour has been bugging me only colour photos are modern museum shots and they do not look right, so Grey coat of something, then a nice build up of a rusty wash. 

Cheers

Mark

For a modern comparison just look at some bulldozer tracks. They are very similar in construction and materials. Depending on how long they have sat and what they are driving through they can range from a uniform rust colour to highly polished with every conceivable variation in between. 

Caterpillar_track_shingle.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

muddy-dozer-tracks.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

For a modern comparison just look at some bulldozer tracks. They are very similar in construction and materials. Depending on how long they have sat and what they are driving through they can range from a uniform rust colour to highly polished with every conceivable variation in between. 

Caterpillar_track_shingle.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

muddy-dozer-tracks.jpg

Thats great thanks, super reference pics cheers muchly 👍👍👍👍

• Like 2

Tracks on, took 8 hours they kept pulling apart, and then found half a track link too short, full track link did not do it so sanded down the idlers shortened the track runs which did the the trick also had to sand down where bottom runs slide on, they were far to tight

Mk V WW1 Heavy Tank Tracks

Mk V Heavy Exhaust just about finished

Mk V Heavy Exhaust just about finished

Mk V Heavy Tracks

MkV Heavy Tank British WW1

Not much left to do, little bit of touching up, weathering etc 

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mbthejester
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff

Thank you kindly very much appreciated, was hoping to have it finished but work and personal stuff upset that plan, hoping this week, then base and figures 👍👍👍 

cheers again

Mark

• Like 2

That's looking very good Mark.

I had a similar problem with their Whippet tracks, I had to resort to removing the drive sprocket and move it further back.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Cheers Wayne, thank you, I was thinking I messed up and kept trying - they kept pulling apart and then decided it was the tracks out or the idlers/sprockets, with the detail around the track adjuster its a shame they didn’t make it so the sprocket could move a tad.  Got there in the end though 👍

cheers

Mark

• Like 2