WW1 MkV Male Heavy

Hi Everyone,

Started my latest project, been looking forward to this, Meng MkV, Started it Two weeks ago, and following a different format, building more parts into sub assemblies and painting more parts on mass once assembled instead of all individual, seems to be working reasonably well.

have only come across some minor fit issues, all with the side sponsons, I should be able to work it out after reading loads of tips in various posts, shame so much of the kit is hidden, just wish I had the skill to open up access panels to do it justice.

Latest Project Started

Latest Project Started

Very impressed with the detail on the Ricardo engine, shame you will not see most of it.

Latest Project Started

Latest Project Started

The rest of the engine cradle and drivetrain/clutch is rather nice too.

Latest Project Started

Latest Project Started

Latest Project Started

Latest Project Started

Did no clean up at all on the rollers for the tracks, cut from sprue as close as I could and that’s it, they are totally hidden, added the PE 

plates on one side, but not on other, You cannot see them is one reason and also I may run some cables through here for the lights I am

going to add to the interior,

Latest Project Started

The guns look ace, currently researching correct/best colours for them, added the ally barrels from Aber

Latest Project Started

Engine primed in Stynlrez Black primer, I think it has come out so well there is no point adding Black paint to it, just a little 

chipping and colour in places.

Latest Project Started

Latest Project Started

Latest Project Started

Interior done yesterday, Stynlrez white primer, good enough as I think, then I decided even a new tank not long arrived 

in theatre probably would not still be white, so added Hataka interior Buff, definitely has right colour for tobacco and other 

staining, will be adding a bit more suitable grime as well.

Latest Project Started

Got to tidy up engine cradle, should have at least painted that separately in retrospect, probably won’t see it I inside though.

Latest Project Started

Got the idea of the cream colour from a good friend who did the work on the MkV at the IWM in London, then came across the Hataka Buff colour.

Latest Project Started

So there is the progress so far, 

Cheers

Mark

• Like 14

1 hour ago, mbthejester said:

Hi Trevor,

hope I do it justice mate, will post updates as I progress 

cheers

Mark

I'm sure you will.

I like the look of the buff interior, and the black finish on the engine looks really good.

As you say, it's a shame it will be covered up!

• Thanks 1

Always found these fascinating, since seeing the one in the IWM with my grandad at least 50 years ago !

I seem to vaguely recall at some point, maybe later on,  there being a see thru window or perspex panel they'd fitted so you could view the inside..( unless I'm imagining it!) Maybe you could do similar, or a removable sponson so the innards are visible ?

It'd be amazing if someone made a really big scale kit of one.

• Like 1

The viewing panel is correct on the IWM one, might go for something like that, but I do have an idea for a Dio, but a dio of museum display, could be an idea 🤔

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2

It really looks very impressive, and it is very sad if the so rich interior is not visible. Maybe you can show the engine installed near to the tank separately, you can even remove the sponson, it will look like a tank repair. Tank repair, I think, can be quite an interesting diorama

Vytautas

• Like 1

Bit more done, test fitting shows a couple of minor tweaks needed, and some bits to do to the innards before it is closed up.

Heavy Tank MkV Male

Heavy Tank MkV Male

Heavy Tank MkV Male

Heavy Tank MkV Male

Heavy Tank MkV Male

sponson has a large gap to sort, left side is fully seated right shows gap

Heavy Tank MkV Male

Also fitted the lights

MKv male heavy tank

MKv male heavy tank

MKv male heavy tank

MKv male heavy tank

Cheers

Mark

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

More done,

little bit of grime inside added, not gone mad as the came into service mid 1918 so never saw a winter in the field.

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

One issue found, or was it me ? The rear of the roof was too wide to fit so had to sand about 1mm off each side, luckily the track will cover the rivets that are now gone.

MkV WW1 Heavy tank

Primed in Stynlelrez Black primer, like these primers - go on very easy no messing about  

British MkV Heavy Tank

British MkV Heavy Tank

British MkV Heavy Tank

British MkV Heavy Tank

And main Colour added first coat, using Hataka Khaki Brown SCC 2, used this as it seems a pretty close match to what I have read in various other posts

British WW1 MkV Male Heavy Tank

Bit of a finger print to sort ooppsss

Putting these together has been a pain, not to keen on the moulding method used to join the panels together, found it tricky to get them to line up, the circled part shows internal rivet detail where the roof should go.

MkV Male Gun sponsons with 6pdr guns.

Cheers for looking

Mark

• Like 12

Excellent work Mark and the interior lighting elevates it to a new level.

Have you considered attaching the sponsoons or other panels to the body of the tank with small Neodymium magnets so they could be removed to display more if the interior ?

Cheers Trevor much appreciated, 

Richard thought about something like that, but once I got them together and test fitted they were a right pig, they need more than a bit of filler around them so will fix them as I don’t think they will take much handling. 

Cheers Both

Mark

• Like 1

Greetings all,

Made a start on the tracks, primed in Black then tried on the inside only so far (which wont be seen) AK extreme Burnt Steel, not sure, probably better for post WW1 tracks that have Manganese content. 

MkV Heavy Tank Tracks

MkV Heavy Tank Tracks

Any thoughts on a better colour ?

Cheers All

Happy Easter

Mark

• Like 5

Tracks look great.

How are they holding up? When I did the same kit few years ago I remember the tracks being quite fragile, so after all the cleaning and assembling I ended up with Friuls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 1:28 PM, mbthejester said:

couldn't find any info on interior lights, but the colour is correct for bulbs of period

There is no evidence of any interior lights in the MkIV at Bovington, which I have been inside.  I can't see any in the MkV there either through the limited view through the single glazed sponson door.  Their current display lighting is modern.  In the MkIV talk it is said that the interior was lit by dim bulbs resembling modern christmas tree lights, perhaps electric torch bulbs or similar, but there is no sign of any fittings.  I wonder if in fact that battery trench torches of the era were used rather than fixed lighting.  Bear in mind that electric automotive lighting, and indeed domestic electric lighting, was very new in the WW1 era.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Tracks look great.

How are they holding up? When I did the same kit few years ago I remember the tracks being quite fragile, so after all the cleaning and assembling I ended up with Friuls.

Cheers Mate,

yes they are indeed a tad fragile in places some clicked together positively but they are very easy to pull apart, fitting them will be done very gently, the bottom runs are a worry, as they have to slide on from the ends few at a time, may put them on and paint visible areas after especially where they open up around sprockets and idlers. 

cheers

Mark

5 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

There is no evidence of any interior lights in the MkIV at Bovington, which I have been inside.  I can't see any in the MkV there either through the limited view through the single glazed sponson door.  Their current display lighting is modern.  In the MkIV talk it is said that the interior was lit by dim bulbs resembling modern christmas tree lights, perhaps electric torch bulbs or similar, but there is no sign of any fittings.  I wonder if in fact that battery trench torches of the era were used rather than fixed lighting.  Bear in mind that electric automotive lighting, and indeed domestic electric lighting, was very new in the WW1 era.

Cheers for the great reply, totally agree there are loads of references to the exterior, alas not so much for the interior, so the only definate bit is the amber colour which is about right for era, can only presume there was something in them, so bit of artistic licence- possibly, I asked a good friend  who worked on the one at IWM and he cannot remember the lighting setup so .....

cheers mate

Mark

In fact thinking about it there is no evidence of anything electrical inside the MkIV or MkV.  No dynamo, no wiring, no batteries - but there must have been a magneto for the spark plugs.  Fuel was fed by auto-vac, not pumped.  Controls for vehicle and weapons are all mechanical.  Engine start was by hand crank.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

In fact thinking about it there is no evidence of anything electrical inside the MkIV or MkV.  No dynamo, no wiring, no batteries - but there must have been a magneto for the spark plugs.  Fuel was fed by auto-vac, not pumped.  Controls for vehicle and weapons are all mechanical.  Engine start was by hand crank.

Cannot fault that thinking in the slightest, Have been doing a fair bit of web trawling over the weekend, and nothing in lighting, as per your earlier post torches is the only possibility, so thats what my lighting represents definitely a tad artistic licence, but as mentioned previously the amber colour is correct for early bulbs of era, so I hope it is passable 👍

cheers mate

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update, Red and White Stripes added, definitely didn’t go as planned, still found white hard to work with, used Hataka, and Red Humbrol that went on horrible, unditching beam rails added and decals done, distressed them a tad, also lightened the base colour and added fading, sure I read in another post that paint of this era faded quickly. 

MkV WW1 Heavy Tank

MkV WW1 Heavy Tank

MkV WW1 Heavy Tank

MkV WW1 Heavy Tank

MkV Heavy markings distressed

MkV Heavy markings distressed

should be able to finish it next week, then start on the base. 

cheers

Mark

• Like 9