Airfix Lockheed Hudson 1/72

I discovered what I thought an unusual fact when reading up on the Hudson. Copied from Wiki;

'Due to the United States' neutrality at that time, early series aircraft were flown to the Canada–US border,  
landed, then towed across the border into Canada and flown to RCAF airfields where they were dismantled and
prepared for deck cargo to be shipped to Liverpool. The Boulton Paul turret was fitted in the Uk'

Perhaps others know this but I didn't.

On to the kit. This is an 80's boxing of the original 70's kit. Not the easiest of kits I've come across and it
nearly flew out of the window on several occasions. The final kicker was when the decals disintegrated under 
Decalfix. I replaced some of them from the spares box so there are some inaccuracies.

50996948582_b0dd9048ff_z.jpg

50996827396_6a5154ca31_z.jpg

50996948152_a4bc182c44_z.jpg

51005392533_a3c58c774f_z.jpg

51005392208_e7749c9547_z.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I agree the turret looks odd and I did recheck photos of the time and that's how it looked.

3 hours ago, swralph said:

Very nice build Vinnie.😀

Thank you very much Ralph.

2 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Great , remember building that one many moons ago , still looks a nice model today . :goodjob:

Thanks, Keith. Do you remember using a rather large amount of expletives during the build.:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Like that.

The turret always look odd on the Hudsons.

4 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Like that.

The turret always look odd on the Hudsons.

Thank you. I agree the turret looks odd and I did recheck photos of the time and that's how it looked.

Lovely Hudson,  great work.  Re the tow across the Canadian border  i am sure that on the War in the Air series there is footage of this , I will have to watch again,  but the one being towed across was being pulled by horses  I think.

Cracking job on your Hudson 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

Yes, they did use horses on occasion. FDR walked a tightrope to get aid to Britain, and the 'cash and carry' scheme meant we could buy the aircraft but weren't allowed to ship from US ports. Lend-Lease came later, of course.

Lovely to see your Hudson Vinnie - very nicely done. It's one Airfix classic I've never built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Lovely job. :goodjob:

I agree about the turret. Looks like they were trying to squeeze it in and gave up part way through.

Thanks, It does look very odd but apparently very effective.

15 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Really nice Hudson, and that little research tidbit was well received! I like those odd little background facts. They add to the personality of the model.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks, Joachim. I always appreciate your comments.

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely Hudson,  great work.  Re the tow across the Canadian border  i am sure that on the War in the Air series there is footage of this , I will have to watch again,  but the one being towed across was being pulled by horses  I think.

Cracking job on your Hudson 

Chris 

Thanks, Chris. Yes, you're right. horses and tractors were used.

14 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes, they did use horses on occasion. FDR walked a tightrope to get aid to Britain, and the 'cash and carry' scheme meant we could buy the aircraft but weren't allowed to ship from US ports. Lend-Lease came later, of course.

Lovely to see your Hudson Vinnie - very nicely done. It's one Airfix classic I've never built.

Thanks, Ian. You had a narrow escape then.😀

13 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice work on a tough kit!  If the FW200 Condor was the "scourge of the Atlantic," the Hudson was the scourge of the Condor!

Thanks. Apparently U boat also surrendered to a Hudson after it inflicted severe damage to the sub.

6 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Congratulations on finishing this kit!  The end product looks quite good.

I started one of these as a lark and never got past the glazing... oh that bloody glazing.  😖

Thanks, JD. Actually I found the glazing one of the better aspects apart from the astrodome:wall:

4 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Very nice work Vinnie full credit to you for continuing it looks great

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thanks, Eamonn.

3 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build on the ancient Airfix !

Wulfman

Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Well done and well finished regardless!

Miguel

Thanks, Miguel. Much appreciated. 

• Like 4