I-400 IJN Aircraft Carrier Submarine Tamiya 1/350

As I said in my build thread I have been on a folded wing seaplane kick lately. Last week I decided I wanted to do a 1/48 Seiran folded up and just being removed from the sub hanger. I reckoned that the 1/350 sub  would give me something to measure and some 3D details for the scratch build of the deck and hanger sections. For a change I got lucky and found the 1/350 kit on the shelf at a local shop so scooped it up. It was the base kit so no rails, clear sections or figures but that is fine as it is only intended for reference and a side piece to my real project anyway.

Overall the kit was pretty much a shake and bake, out of box build with an emphasis on weathering instead of super detailing. As such it turned out really well but I may give in and pick up a set of generic railings for at least the two upper decks if I can find some at a decent price. 

Some may think that I went overboard on the weathering for such a small scale but in studying the few pre surrender pictures I could find it is actually about what it looked like when brand new! If I weathered to the condition it was in when it surrendered nobody would believe it. It was rough for an almost new vessel. 

So here we go.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note that I did not use the big Japanese flag decal  you see on most models and drawings of this sub. Of all the pictures I looked at I only saw one distant shot that may or may not have had it there. In fact in the surrender videos' the numbers are even painted out on the starboard side. Besides I would think that if I was a Japanese sub captain in 1945 the last thing I would want is a 20 foot white rectangle with a bullseye in the center painted on the tower!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For a good idea of just how big these subs were here it is with a 1/350 liberty ship.

spacer.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=198052&stc=1

Thanks for looking!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitestar12chris said:

Cracking job Tcoat, very nicely done.

All the best Chris

Thanks! I am happy with it.

The 1/48 Seiran for part two of the project is on it's way from Japan. I just hope it isn't coming by submarine!

Nice build of one of the most interesting submarine types ever! Looking forward to your Seiran -build as well, one of the best looking floatplanes ever, in my opinion!

18 hours ago, Liizio said:

Nice build of one of the most interesting submarine types ever! Looking forward to your Seiran -build as well, one of the best looking floatplanes ever, in my opinion!

Well says it is on it's way from Japan. Hopefully still not on the submarine since the tracking shows it moving very slowly!

Edited by Tcoat

I do love this. I confess to having spent hours playing call of duty with one of my sons years ago and one of the maps was based on aJapaneseSub like this so I have a basic insight to the subject. I've also seen a few documentaries about these subs and from memory, that the US captured one???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

I do love this. I confess to having spent hours playing call of duty with one of my sons years ago and one of the maps was based on aJapaneseSub like this so I have a basic insight to the subject. I've also seen a few documentaries about these subs and from memory, that the US captured one???

The US captured one in port and two surrendered at sea. The US took two back to Pearl Island to examine. They were all scuttled at sea in 1946 so the Soviets couldn't check them out.

21 hours ago, Tcoat said:

The US captured one in port and two surrendered at sea. The US took two back to Pearl Island to examine. They were all scuttled at sea in 1946 so the Soviets couldn't check them out.

Brilliant - thanks for the tutorial

3 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Brilliant - thanks for the tutorial

They are historicly interesting in that they never saw action but the basic engineering lead to the developement of modern missle carrying subs.

The hanger idea that stuck around until better missles that could be launched while submerged were developed. 

spacer.png

The "figure eight" pressure hull that became standard in most larger modern subs.

spacer.png

Edited by Tcoat