No Mr Surfacer 1500 in the UK

WhichOnesPink

If 1500 is not available, I'm happy using 1200. I dilute with Mr Color Leveling thinner (to the same consistency as I would for paint) and airbrush it on. It can sometimes dry with a little more 'texture' than 1500 but this is easily knocked back to a super smooth finish with a quick once over with 3000 paper.

Cheers

Colin

Hopefully just temporary, it happens with Mr Hobby products sometimes. I remember when I first tried to buy some Mr Surfacer 1500 after seeing it highly recommended a few years ago there were literally no UK retailers with any in stock, a few months later it became commonly available again.

Edited by -Ian-
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ckw said:

If 1500 is not available, I'm happy using 1200. I dilute with Mr Color Leveling thinner (to the same consistency as I would for paint) and airbrush it on. It can sometimes dry with a little more 'texture' than 1500 but this is easily knocked back to a super smooth finish with a quick once over with 3000 paper.

Cheers

Colin

Cheers for that. I have some white 1500. I spray some neat levelling thinner over it after a couple of minutes and leave it to dry. Comes out super smooth. 

I just wanted some black to be able to see imperfections easier when I spot prime. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhichOnesPink said:

Cheers for that. I have some white 1500. I spray some neat levelling thinner over it after a couple of minutes and leave it to dry. Comes out super smooth. 

Thats a good tip, sounds like a spiffing idea, will give it a go...ta  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WhichOnesPink said:

Hi, 

No one seems to have Mr Surfacer 1500 in stock and not much else of the range. 

Has it been discontinued or is it an effect of the sunlit uplands of Brexit? 

Ideas? 

All the best,

Pink.

Shine on... 

Probably more to do with the pandemic than Brexit.

• Like 1

I routinely use the 1200 as I've generally found 1200 easier to get than 1500.

I did see my LHS had received a fairly broad Mr Color restock last time I visited--it had been a while. FWIW, they're also now carrying Revell paints since RPM pounded even more nails into MM's coffin...

• Thanks 1

Could be either shipping issues (container shortage, covid induced delays in docks) or Brexit - remember its not just Europe that's affected, but also every country we had deals with through the EU. Japanese traders now have to follow the new HMRC VAT rules too

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, WhichOnesPink said:

I just wanted some black to be able to see imperfections easier when I spot prime. 

When I said what a good tip, given your nom de plume, I should have said, have a cigar there shouldn't I? 🙂

• Haha 1

I managed to get some from Mike's Models a couple weeks ago but they now seem to be out of stock of black. 

I heard the distributor was expecting some end of Feb, bit it's still showing out of stock everywhere so I guess not. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:09 AM, Truro Model Builder said:

This may help to explain what is happening. Our very own Tiger Hobbies has mentioned the issue:

That was an eye-opening read.

The main question it raises is this :  if containers are so expensive/ unavailable, is sticking it on the back of a lorry and driving overland from China an option ?

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

is sticking it on the back of a lorry and driving overland from China an option?

Crossing borders between 9-12 countries by road?  fwiw, I think the 132 hours (to Antwerp) gives a bit of an optimistic read. 9 hours driving at best, means two weeks non-stop travel. 

y4mUnnfLUrk_FbyUOaOAFU9fE8NQXCK8OwjhaaI3

3 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Crossing borders between 9-12 countries by road?  fwiw, I think the 132 hours (to Antwerp) gives a bit of an optimistic read. 9 hours driving at best, means two weeks non-stop travel. 

y4mUnnfLUrk_FbyUOaOAFU9fE8NQXCK8OwjhaaI3

Didnt say it was a GOOD option,  but if the alternative for the kit manufacturers in the east is a 6 month wait until they can get a sea container....  well thats a long time with no cashflow.  Lets hope their domestic markets make up the bulk of their sales !

ps  just noticed that HLJ do offer a surface shipment option...but it may take up to 4 months before something can be regarded as missing.

19 hours ago, IanHx said:

ps  just noticed that HLJ do offer a surface shipment option...but it may take up to 4 months before something can be regarded as missing.

'Surface Shipment' surely refers to by sea as opposed to by air?

Duncan B

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Duncan B said:

'Surface Shipment' surely refers to by sea as opposed to by air?

Duncan B

"Shipping".   I guess the clue is in the name....

I guess the only option left if there's no sea containers left is to persuade some TV company to make a series about Ewan McGregor motorcycling to Japan and returning with a really large package from HLJ.....

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, IanHx said:

I guess the only option left if there's no sea containers left is to persuade some TV company to make a series about Ewan McGregor motorcycling to Japan and returning with a really large package from HLJ.....

Hmm, my van's sitting doing nothing just now. How far did you say it was? Mr Surfacer 12000(Km)! Would be a bit annoying to get there to be told they had just sold their last box of the stuff to a Mr Obi Wan from Pitlochry.

Duncan B

• Haha 2