Working Hinges Tips and Help?

Nocoolname

Hi folks!

Was wondering if anyone out there had any experience of making the hinges workable for undercarriage bay doors and canopies? I know this isn't everyone's bag but I have been trying to find a way of producing scale hinges but my engineering brain seems to struggle these days with conjuring the ideas to make this work. The canopy hinges for the F-4 Phantom are a particular challenge but so too are the hinges for the landing gear doors on the F-15. Neither having a simple loop and close approach. I saw a really good video on YouTube of a 1/48 F-35 with workable hinges but there was no information around the engineering unfortunately. Anyone who might be able to share any hints or tips, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Nocool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2021 at 11:40, Nocoolname said:

Hi folks!

Was wondering if anyone out there had any experience of making the hinges workable for undercarriage bay doors and canopies? I know this isn't everyone's bag but I have been trying to find a way of producing scale hinges but my engineering brain seems to struggle these days with conjuring the ideas to make this work. The canopy hinges for the F-4 Phantom are a particular challenge but so too are the hinges for the landing gear doors on the F-15. Neither having a simple loop and close approach. I saw a really good video on YouTube of a 1/48 F-35 with workable hinges but there was no information around the engineering unfortunately. Anyone who might be able to share any hints or tips, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Nocool.

This maybe of help to you Nocool. Scroll down to near the bottom - there is a video. Throughout the set of videos it shows how to make door hinges, boot hinge and the bonnet 👍

https://nandemo-seisaku.com/2020/07/03/hakosuka_gt-r_009/

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, Davidrebolton said:

This maybe of help to you Nocool. Scroll down to near the bottom - there is a video. Throughout the set of videos it shows how to make door hinges, boot hinge and the bonnet 👍

https://nandemo-seisaku.com/2020/07/03/hakosuka_gt-r_009/

Thanks David

Much appreciated! I'm now going to see if I can create something similar for the canopy of a 1/48 F-4.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hello @Nocoolname

The only suggestion that I can make is that I think there is a big difference between a ‘Working part’ and a ‘Repositionable part’

if for example I wanted to make an aircraft that could be displayed either wheels up or wheels down than I would probably make the U/C completely removable and make two sets of doors - one for use with wheels up (closed) and one with wheels down (open).

This way there’s no need to engineer tiny working parts. You just need to be able to ‘plug in’ each part or hold each part with a magnet or whatever.

To me (a non-engineer and non-fan of breakable moving parts) this seems like a much simpler approach. I want to try it with a swing wing aircraft some time. Two sets of wings - one forward with flaps deployed etc and one swept back and clean.

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Thanks David

Much appreciated! I'm now going to see if I can create something similar for the canopy of a 1/48 F-4.

Cheers!

Isn't the new Tamiya F4 going to have a working canopy.

9 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hello @Nocoolname

The only suggestion that I can make is that I think there is a big difference between a ‘Working part’ and a ‘Repositionable part’

if for example I wanted to make an aircraft that could be displayed either wheels up or wheels down than I would probably make the U/C completely removable and make two sets of doors - one for use with wheels up (closed) and one with wheels down (open).

This way there’s no need to engineer tiny working parts. You just need to be able to ‘plug in’ each part or hold each part with a magnet or whatever.

To me (a non-engineer and non-fan of breakable moving parts) this seems like a much simpler approach. I want to try it with a swing wing aircraft some time. Two sets of wings - one forward with flaps deployed etc and one swept back and clean.

Thanks Steve

The approach I'm taking is quite similar since it's too impractical in some instances to go for the 'working hinge' bit. Where they are feasible I'll use them, where not, I'm using tiny magnets embedded in the parts in the right position to allow for them to be repositioned without loss or breakage and extra parts as you suggested above for where even that won't work. It's all a bit experimental at the moment with a lot of trial and error. Mostly error.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, colin said:

Isn't the new Tamiya F4 going to have a working canopy.

Hi Colin,

I asked a question about that recently based on comments I saw in a review but the consensus so far appears to suggest that it is 'positionable' rather than working. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1