Opinions on Academy 1/48 Spitfire mk14. And kitbashing a mk14 from Airfix kits

Tokyo Raider

Amazing that after 30 years of kit bashing, this on an absolutely massive scale (including in printed media), it is still down to kitbashing to get the most advanced WWII Spitfire...

And after ALL that, Airfix comes out with.... Drum roll.... Basically a post-war variant.

These people are more clueless than Mr Bean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, WrathofAtlantis said:

Amazing that after 30 years of kit bashing, this on an absolutely massive scale (including in printed media), it is still down to kitbashing to get the most advanced WWII Spitfire...

And after ALL that, Airfix comes out with.... Drum roll.... Basically a post-war variant.

Well, Academy did a wartime XIV and have been selling it for 25 years... pity that the kit is very inaccurate but this does not seem to matter to many.

Meaning that one thing is the lack of a kit of a certain subject, a different story is the lack of an accurate kit of said subject... afterall we've had plenty of 1/72 Spitfire IX kits over the years, that is a variant historically much more important then the XIV, and yet we haven't had a properly accurate 1/72 Spit IX until Eduard issued theirs 5 years ago.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:18 AM, WrathofAtlantis said:

... except for the part where they can now re-issue the kit as G-FIRE :P maybe not so clueless...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

... except for the part where they can now re-issue the kit as G-FIRE :P maybe not so clueless...

Although I suspect that sales of a high-back XIV would have been greater?

Depends on who you're marketing to, right? 
The more casual modeller versus the hard-core Spitfire fan, who's the bigger target audience?

On 3/7/2021 at 8:41 AM, Tail-Dragon said:

Were I to do another, I'd use a bubble-top and graft on an aft spine and canopy from a disposable kit (an ICM Mk IX, or even an old Otaki). I'm just too cheap to butcher two good kits (Airfix and Eduard)