Kitty Hawk UH-1D 1/48 Brazilian AF

This is the 48th scale Kitty Hawk Huey, built as one of the SAR aircraft operated by the Brazilian Air Force in the 60's and 70's.  The decals, except for the national insignias, were made in Corel Draw and printed using inkjet and laser printers. Masks for the transparencies were also made in Corel Draw and cut on a kabuki sheet using my trusty Silhouette Portrait. Model was painted with Alclad enamels. 

Cheers, Ivan

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic - looks great in silver.  With so much 'glass' in a helo kit it is important to have a good paint finish around these parts - you have done a perfect job of yours.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Excellent work Ivan and rarely to see in this scheme, well done.

Do you know the Revell kit? If yes, what would you say if you compare both kits?

I'm sorry, Werner, but I'm not familiar with the Revell kit. What I can say though about the Kitty Hawk Huey is that the kit builds without any major problems, except for the main rotor and the interior, which are a bit tricky to assemble. 

Cheers, Ivan

Edited by IvanP
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Excellent work, after printing the decals what did you use to fix the ink?

Hi. I've used Microscale Liquid Film Decal, applied directly from the bottle with a flat  brush. One layer of it was enough to protect the decals.

Cheers, Ivan

That’s really amazing! The best sceme that I saw for a Huey! Fantastic work and photography! May I ask what you use for the green window above the cockpit!

Cheers 

Andy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

That’s really amazing! The best sceme that I saw for a Huey! Fantastic work and photography! May I ask what you use for the green window above the cockpit!

Cheers 

Andy

Hi, Andy. I’ve used Alclad Transparent Green applied with an airbrush directly from the bottle. It was the first time I’ve used it and, to be honest, it turned out a bit darker than I wanted to. I’m building a kit right now where I had to tint all transparencies. I’ve used the same product, but this time diluting it on a 1:3 ratio with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. After trying several ratios, including very high ones, this gave me the best result. Two or three passes with the airbrush, adjusted for low pressure, is enough to tint the transparency uniformly. The transperencies were dipped in Future prior to tinting, to allow me to redo the work, if necessary.

Cheers, Ivan

• Thanks 1