Baby Smaug - WIP

WIP 03-Mar-2013

I decided to use an old wooden base for this one. It's seen better days, but I reckon I can tidy up the edges reasonably enough.

Got the basic celluclay groundwork spread on and then left it to dry out overnight.

I've had problems in the past with celluclay lifting off wooden bases and even warping them as it dries out.

The warping issue can be addressed by laying down a relatively thick coat of varnish which, once dry, forms a barrier between the wood and the wet celluclay.

I also found that if you prepare the celluclay with a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water, then it tends to stick well onto the dried varnish and won't lift, as long as you give the varnish a light rub with some wet & dry sandpaper.

10-Baby-Smaug-WIP-03-Mar-2021.jpg

11-Baby-Smaug-WIP-03-Mar-2021.jpg

12-Baby-Smaug-WIP-03-Mar-2021.jpg

WIP 04-Mar-2013

With the groundwork now dried enough to work with, I gave it all a coat of brown-ish/green-ish craft paint, then shot on the static grass and left it to dry out overnight again.

13-Baby-Smaug-WIP-04-Mar-2021.jpg

14-Baby-Smaug-WIP-04-Mar-2021.jpg

WIP 05-Mar-2013 Morning

Cleaned off most of the stray static grass and continued to add foliage details.

For this "Baby Smaug Mk1", I'm using an old 54mm white metal Draconia Miniatures Femme Fatale that I painted, hmm I dunno, must be around seven years ago now.

15-Baby-Smaug-05-Mar-2021.jpg

16-Baby-Smaug-05-Mar-2021.jpg

17-Baby-Smaug-05-Mar-2021.jpg

18-Baby-Smaug-05-Mar-2021.jpg

19-Baby-Smaug-05-Mar-2021.jpg

20-Baby-Smaug-05-Mar-2021.jpg

So, given that I still have to tidy up the edges of the base a bit more and wash off some stray static grass, I'm calling this one just about finished.

I'll most likely get "Baby Smaug Mk2" finished this afternoon, (my time).

Cheers the Noo

Edited by Cadman
removed one photo
  • Like 4

Nice looking diorama. Lots and lots of detail. The attention to detail is outstanding. Especially the color blending in the dragon skin and your choice of colors for your young lady warrior. One question, was the emblem on her cape a decal or hand painted. If it were hand painted I'd like to have had that steady of a hand.

Again great and excellent work on this diorama. Waiting to see the other.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 12:12 AM, f111guru said:

Nice looking diorama. Lots and lots of detail. The attention to detail is outstanding. Especially the color blending in the dragon skin and your choice of colors for your young lady warrior. One question, was the emblem on her cape a decal or hand painted. If it were hand painted I'd like to have had that steady of a hand.

Again great and excellent work on this diorama. Waiting to see the other.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

It's a home-made decal. If you look closely you'll see that it doesn't follow the cape's highlights and shadows. I can live with it though.

I also ended up changing out the Lady Warrior for the Russian Babe. The final photos are in the "RFI" section.

Cheers

Edited by Cadman
added a comment
  • Like 1