Greetings from Derby

AT7GMK

Good evening All,

Just to introduce myself, I am a long term lurker on this forum, since 2009 in fact when my son first showed an interest in aeroplanes.

I am, like so many others on here, a refugee from the 'good old days' of buying Airfix kits in Woolies with my pocket money.

The occasional Frog kit was thrown together as well, subject to making the trip into town to buy them.

But Woolies was much closer, also aided by the fact that the nearest cycle shop and a large toy shop stocked Airfix as well.

I have enjoyed the many and varied builds and threads on here, mostly the aircraft but also things like Warhammer 40k, which became my son's models of choice.

He now has a large collection of Tyrannids, for those fluent in Games Workshop speak.

Being 'old school' my models are all in the 'gentlemans' scale (1/72).

My forum name reflects one of my other passions, as a long-suffering Coventry City FC supporter - the year 1987 (hence AT7) and for Gary Mabutt's knee (hence GMK).

Must have been fate then that I later married a Spurs supporter who was there on the day!

Anyway, enough for now - I hope to be able to post some of my average builds soon.

Warning - it will be Spitfire and Hurricane heavy, with a smattering of FW190's.

There may be the occasional 4mm scale wagon thrown in as well.

Take care and stay safe.

Nigel.

• Like 5

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the forums and greetings from northeast Derbyshire!

BM is a great place for information and advice, and support when things go wrong!S Spitfiresand Hurricanes are always welcome, as are FW190s, so you'll be in good company.

Good to see a fellow 4mm railway modeller, too, although my wagon-building has gone on the back-burner lately. What's your company/period?

Looking forward to seeing your builds!

Kind regards,

Mark

Eyup fella (from North West Notts for my sins!)

I do (did before the pandemic) come down to Derby (actually Risley) for 4mm rail modelling purposes with the East Midlands Area Group of the Scalefour society.

I am also big fan of the Gentleman's Scale so will be interested to see your builds.

Hello Gents,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the BM forum!

@Dennis, it is some of your builds that inspired me to finally stop lurking and start posting - so many thanks.

I have a fondness for some of those 'olden, not always so golden' kits of the past and your input to various GBs I have always enjoyed.

Having watched along with the Heller GB I have now acquired an Ouragan for my new interest in IDF classic jets, along with a Hasegawa Kfir for building sometime in 2021.

I have also, along time ago in my youth, built other things than aircraft. Mostly working my way through Airfix collections of 1/76 AFVs, although these are long gone to the boneyard.

Ditto the efforts at 1/600 battleships and 1/32 cars.

My only regret is not keeping the builds my father made for me before I started. SS Canberra and France he painted beautifully but they have also disappeared into landfill.

@Steve86, many thanks for the welcome!

@Mark, many thanks for the welcome.

Although the Spits, Hurris and FW190/Ta152 are my favourites I am currently building up a collection of WW2 Luftwaffe twins.

So far it encompasses various Bf110s, Ju88, He115, He219, Do335 and a Horten - mostly old Revell/Matchbox but some Frog in there as well.

And there are still the Mustangs, Thunderbolts etc for the Allied side to build. Also, post-war RAF/FAA and the IDF classics mentioned above.

Railway wise my interests are BR 1948-1964 for WR and SR mostly. I have been building Parkside/Ratio and Cambrian - always plastic kits though.

However, coming from Coventry and now having spent 40+ years in Derby there is no way I couldn't have any LMS stock.

So far this covers 3 x 3Fs (2 x 0-6-0T and 1 x tender version), plus a collection of coal wagons covering Coventry/Warwickshire coalfields and various other Midlands locations including Leicestershire.

@Joel, Ey up mi duck.

Many thanks for the welcome!

I admire those who can work in S4/P4 but my skills are not up to that, so I am still an 00 gauge man (layout still a WIP).

4mm railway and 1/72 aircraft are a comfortable size to me, although the fading eyesight may give lie to that.

Once I have sorted out the photo-hosting business I will start posting my builds.

Hopefully the wonderful advice that is freely given on BM will allow me to overcome my 'bete-noirs' of canopies and seams!

Anyway, enough of the rambling.

Take care and stay safe.

Best regards,

Nigel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Keif,

Many thanks for the welcome.

Must be something in the water with all us Derbyshire and Notts types liking planes and trains.

Just seen your intro and the eggplant builds too; I have read that they are great for any 'loss of mojo' when it comes to kit building.

I found helping my son with his Warhammer 40k figures was good for that too, any modelling activity has got to be good.

Snazzy face mask - home made?

Take care and stay safe.

Best regards,

Nigel

3 hours ago, AT7GMK said:

Dennis, it is some of your builds that inspired me to finally stop lurking and start posting - so many thanks.

I have a fondness for some of those 'olden, not always so golden' kits of the past and your input to various GBs I have always enjoyed.

Thank you very much I appreciate that, is there any build in particular ? 

Hello Dennis,

As a WW2 single seat fighter type I really enjoyed the Tomahawk, Tempest V and Birdcage Corsair builds.

I had problems with the Academy Tempest u/c, so it is now a wheels-up model.

A fellow local modeller only builds wheels-up now, as he put it "it's so liberating".

However, the Duelling Fokkers also stood out, such a lot of work going into such tiny planes!

Following along with the Martlet build now.

Take care and stay safe.

Best regards,

Nigel.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AT7GMK said:

However, the Duelling Fokkers also stood out, such a lot of work going into such tiny planes!

Thank you I need to really re-visit those. I have the scale blue prints now and can finally get the struts done. The Martlet should get a start in the next day or two. I understand the issue with landing gear and yes it can be frustrating. Ive never rally done a wheels up build, though I can understand the attraction. Ive got a Typhoon Car-Door in the wings so that may show up soon. 

Hello Fletch,

Many thanks for the welcome.

The closest I get to Sci-Fi is Warhammer 40k, what are your notes in that field?

A neighbour of ours builds Star Wars models, with the Millennium Falcon his pride and joy.

Take care and stay safe.

Best regards,

Nigel.

Notes should have been interests, da**ed auto correct.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, AT7GMK said:

Warning - it will be Spitfire and Hurricane heavy, with a smattering of FW190's.

Hurricane heavy you say?
Nigel, for that you're on my xmas card list, and if my sister wasn't married you could have her as well 😎👍

I fell in love with that Hawker beauty when I was 4 yrs old back in '76, so look forward to seeing them all!

• 4 months later...