Tarangus 1/48 Viggen question

MarcV

Hi all,

I understand later issues of the Tarangus Viggen had the canard defects corrected. Does anyone know if that is indeed the case and if so how can I tell I am buying the updated issue of the kit.

Further I'd appreciate if the kit is worth buying anyway - weighted question I know, but I understand it's generally sloppy and mediocre.

Hoping to be proved wrong,

Thanks,

Marc.

I can confirm that the Special Hobby AJ-37 and SK-37E kits that I have in the stash have corrected canard parts; mind you, as I'm not a Viggen expert, I guess all I can say for certain is that they're different to the ones in my Tarangus JA-37 kit! However, on the grounds that this series of kits was a joint venture between Tarangus and Special Hobby, I think it would be logical to assume that the Tarangus kits now also include the revised parts. However, as to how you could tell whether you were buying an old or a revised kit I'm afraid I've no idea, others on here may know more.

I've not tried building one yet, but from a quick look (e.g., taping the main airframe parts together) it's definitely not a Tamiya 'shake and bake' sort of kit, but it would - in my view anyway - be unfair to call it 'sloppy and mediocre'. Think 'upper end' short-run and you'll be in the right ballpark.

• Like 1

yes and yes!

if you like a Viggen in 1/48, that is the way to go!

if you are up to that canard thing, you obviously do :D

an easy and simple kit? no. definitely not.

a worthy kit? definitely yes!

• Like 3

If you just want a viggen in 1/48 get the special hobby one instead, tooling is the same as the Tarangus kit, but it's cheaper and features additional PE parts. The update version also has "updated editon" printed on the box, just like this:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/3/4/1/1164341-12741-12-720.jpg

The updated sprue however has softer detail than the original sprues, they probably used a cheaper tooling.

The kit is probably the best so far, but yes, it's a disappointment to say the least, so many small errors... the biggest on for me is the ill shaped canopy, most noticeable by the wrong cross section of the canopy/windshield, the real thing has a rather circular cross section, but the kit...  just notice how comical the windshield looks...

spacer.png

What shape is that, why?? I wish the designers would just spend a bit more time to look at photo of real things.

Edited by delide
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, hopkp said:

I can confirm that the Special Hobby AJ-37 and SK-37E kits that I have in the stash have corrected canard parts; mind you, as I'm not a Viggen expert, I guess all I can say for certain is that they're different to the ones in my Tarangus JA-37 kit! However, on the grounds that this series of kits was a joint venture between Tarangus and Special Hobby, I think it would be logical to assume that the Tarangus kits now also include the revised parts. However, as to how you could tell whether you were buying an old or a revised kit I'm afraid I've no idea, others on here may know more.

I've not tried building one yet, but from a quick look (e.g., taping the main airframe parts together) it's definitely not a Tamiya 'shake and bake' sort of kit, but it would - in my view anyway - be unfair to call it 'sloppy and mediocre'. Think 'upper end' short-run and you'll be in the right ballpark.

Thanks Hopkp - I'll try to be more diplomatic - more challenging?

Thanks for your feedback, enjoy your weekend

3 hours ago, delide said:

If you just want a viggen in 1/48 get the special hobby one instead, tooling is the same as the Tarangus kit, but it's cheaper and features additional PE parts. The update version also has "updated editon" printed on the box, just like this:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/3/4/1/1164341-12741-12-720.jpg

The updated sprue however has softer detail than the original sprues, they probably used a cheaper tooling.

The kit is probably the best so far, but yes, it's a disappointment to say the least, so many small errors... the biggest on for me is the ill shaped canopy, most noticeable by the wrong cross section of the canopy/windshield, the real thing has a rather circular cross section, but the kit...  just notice how comical the windshield looks...

spacer.png

What shape is that, why?? I wish the designers would just spend a bit more time to look at photo of real things.

I agree Delinde, just a touch more effort to get those (the devil is in the) details right.

It's a discussion that happens often - where should consumers (which is what we are), comment on the laziness of manufacturers who ask big money for a kit but where do we go too far and expect the unrealistic?

In the case of this kit, I'm still in doubt whether to buy - it's not a great kit, it's expensive, but there's effectively no alternative, in this scale anyway - and I suspect they are very much aware of that. A monopoly is a dangerous thing.

Well, most errors are for rivet-counters only. To me, Tarangus's Viggen builds up to something that I think most people think look very much like a Viggen. The original canards are wrong, but if you are unlucky to get an early issue, just contact Tarangus and you will get the corrected sprue for free. This one also includes the RAT generator and a corrected JA/SK 37 fin. The only other issues are small recessed panels on the underside and the exhaust cone that have to be filled and wheels that you'd better replace with aftermarket ones. Here is mine:

40289323235_34afe9138d_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Well, most errors are for rivet-counters only. To me, Tarangus's Viggen builds up to something that I think most people think look very much like a Viggen. The original canards are wrong, but if you are unlucky to get an early issue, just contact Tarangus and you will get the corrected sprue for free. This one also includes the RAT generator and a corrected JA/SK 37 fin. The only other issues are small recessed panels on the underside and the exhaust cone that have to be filled and wheels that you'd better replace with aftermarket ones. Here is mine:

40289323235_34afe9138d_c.jpg

Thanks Bjorn, so basic shape etc are OK?

A rivet or panel line as you say is not something that keeps me awake.

Special Hobby and Tarangus are of the same mould? Any reason you chose Tarangus?

Thanks,

Marc.

12 minutes ago, MarcV said:

Thanks Bjorn, so basic shape etc are OK?

Special Hobby and Tarangus are of the same mould? Any reason you chose Tarangus?

Thanks,

Marc.

And Bjorn, I forgot to mention the jet looks absolutely brilliant!

12 hours ago, MarcV said:

Tarangus for the time being provide the JA-37 interceptor version and the recce version, whereas Special Hobby did the AJ-37 fighterbomber and two seater.

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

Tarangus for the time being provide the JA-37 interceptor version and the recce version, whereas Special Hobby did the AJ-37 fighterbomber and two seater.

Overall does the one manufacturer produce a better kit than the other outside the fact they do different versions?

In other words do they share the basic moulds or are they unconnected?

Thanks,

46 minutes ago, MarcV said:

Overall does the one manufacturer produce a better kit than the other outside the fact they do different versions?

In other words do they share the basic moulds or are they unconnected?

Thanks,

They joined forces to produce the Viggen variants.

It is exactly the same but for variant specific parts

On 3/9/2021 at 6:03 AM, Bjorn said:

This one also includes the RAT generator and a corrected JA/SK 37 fin.

Hi Bjorn,

Do you mean the corrected fin comes with the corrected canard set?

Does that also mean later kits beside correct canards also had the correct fin?

How's the cockpit? Should I check aftermarket options here too?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

Hi Bjorn,

Do you mean the corrected fin comes with the corrected canard set?

Does that also mean later kits beside correct canards also had the correct fin?

How's the cockpit? Should I check aftermarket options here too?

Thanks,

Yes, this sprue is included in all releases except for the first Tarangus JA 37 edition - but if you have this one, just contact Tarangus and you will get one. 

s-l1600.jpg

Cockpit is OK, of course it can be updated with the Maestro photoetch set, but I think many modellers find the box option good enough. The only thing I think they could have done better is the wall behind the seat. It is just flat, which it was not on the real thing. A detailed part can be find on the Maestro photoetch (thanks to me... ;) ) but is a little too flat. But it can be scratch-built, as I did:

Here is my first try with the photoetch part. Not bad...

31643553994_1b27816c75_c.jpg

...but scratch-building gave a better result:

32446358286_d8a92b866d_c.jpg

Here is my build thread on IPMS Stockholm. In Swedish, but I hope Google Translate can help you:

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8860

It also includes my conversion of the 1/48 Airfix Viggen into the first prototype with flat spine and the greatest pitot tube ever seen! 

34139981233_e52a5d4b8e_c.jpg

EDIT. I forgot to answer your first question, Marc: Yes, the Tarangus/SH kit is very good in basic shape. As always there are small details, such as the canopy mentioned. But these are for extreme rivet-counters only - I am one of them regarding Swedish subjects and the minor errors on this kit does not bother me at all. And I am also happy that you liked my build! 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2021 at 6:59 AM, Bjorn said:

Yes, this sprue is included in all releases except for the first Tarangus JA 37 edition - but if you have this one, just contact Tarangus and you will get one. 

s-l1600.jpg

Cockpit is OK, of course it can be updated with the Maestro photoetch set, but I think many modellers find the box option good enough. The only thing I think they could have done better is the wall behind the seat. It is just flat, which it was not on the real thing. A detailed part can be find on the Maestro photoetch (thanks to me... ;) ) but is a little too flat. But it can be scratch-built, as I did:

Here is my first try with the photoetch part. Not bad...

31643553994_1b27816c75_c.jpg

...but scratch-building gave a better result:

32446358286_d8a92b866d_c.jpg

Here is my build thread on IPMS Stockholm. In Swedish, but I hope Google Translate can help you:

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8860

It also includes my conversion of the 1/48 Airfix Viggen into the first prototype with flat spine and the greatest pitot tube ever seen! 

34139981233_e52a5d4b8e_c.jpg

EDIT. I forgot to answer your first question, Marc: Yes, the Tarangus/SH kit is very good in basic shape. As always there are small details, such as the canopy mentioned. But these are for extreme rivet-counters only - I am one of them regarding Swedish subjects and the minor errors on this kit does not bother me at all. And I am also happy that you liked my build! 

Thanks so much Bjorn,

Great build on IPMS Stockholm.

Have a good weekend,

Marc.

• Thanks 1

Yeah it is a decent kit. :) Expensive and not Tamiya, but there are reasons for this. It is a niche subject. Or atleast that is how the manufacters, I think, saw it. But apparently it has sold well. i guess because it is an iconic Cold War aircraft with that distinctive look?

I have built two and have a third on the way. I´m not the most skilled not experienced modeller (thought I have built various plastic things for 30 years) and it can be challenging at palces. Filelr was needed for me for all, especially between the upper and lower fuselage parts and between the front and aft fuselage parts (where the JA´s 13cm extension is irl). Can´t say if it is me or the model but be cautios, dry fit but then you might still need filler.

it WILL look like a Viggen but the basic kit has some weak parts. Wheels have been mentioned and the kit´s are awful. To me, unusable. The JA box stilll comes with the incorrect tail fin and canards but appaerently you can get free replacements - I was not aware.. You can also buy the sprue from Special Hobby.

iirc the recce boxes (was only 500 of each two iirc?) also came with that sprue plus the updated AJ and the Sk 37E as already mentioned..

In the end, I think the kit is nice, but I am HEAVILY biased since to me, the Viggen, all versions, is just the thing. :)

I´m not as good as Björn but was kinda satisfied with my 2nd attempt (first was a splinter camo´d one from F 13 as well that I gave to my dad, a replacement is on the way..) It is a !quick" build with quite few AM things, unlike the others I have....

It is from a visit at RAF Coningsby in 1989 (iirc) and the pilot of this one - who also made the 113th Squadron´s badge on the side for the ocassion saw this and was quite pleased with the result - which made me happy.. But honestly, there is a ALOT more skilled Viggen-builders out there.. Just don´t tell him.. ;)

48992026252_7dcddb9558_h.jpg

Some critics against the first boxing and it is valid, well, for all, were the fact that you don´t get any ordnance. You only get the extra tank. And that can be defended by the fact that that is how you mostly saw them. There is AM for all stores though. Albeit quite expensive (and good looking!) If you need info on that just ask.

• Like 2

I meant to say as well.. You can push the Neomega cockpit into the Tarangus/Special Hobby kit. iirc it is for the ESCI/Airfix but with some surgery, you can do it. The resin cockpit looks real nice but is for an AJ(S) - beware of that. (There is the RB 75/AGM-65 aiming device in there and the radar is for a first generation Viggen so i guess you could do an SH as well, if you remove the RB 75 gun sight which iirc they did not have, atleast not the Shs, the AJSHs might have had them?)

There is good aftermarket, if pricey, from Maestro Models, CMK and Reskit. And decals from Moose Republic. Covers basically anything from speed brakes, engine, weapons, wheels, decals etc. You can basically do anthing, any version with any stores except the SKa 35.. Which you would have to scratch-build from an extra tank, but you get both the Jas and AJs in all boxes iirc so.. ;)