Yet Another Restoration - A De Havilland Sea Vixen

Here is the Sea Vixen with it’s upper surfaces painted with 2 coats of IJN Grey. I have also coated it with my Astonish Floor Polish which gives a semi-gloss appearance when dry.

As Chris said - it definitely looks more Sea Vixeny now!!

6nP7foG.jpg

ebpOm8i.jpg

• Like 5

A little off topic.....

Here’s another additionΒ to my carrier borne aircraft collection which I wonΒ on EBay for Β£3.99 + p&p.

QjUTI55.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 1

I spent the last two evenings decalling the Sea Vixen.Β 
The purchased FrogΒ decals applied nicely. I was dubious at first but they posed no problems.
The home made β€˜Keep Off’ decals also applied well, but they finished up more shiny than the others, I don’t know how as they were sprayed with Matt spray varnishπŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ. I just coated them with some Matt Varnish to dull them down a bit.

This is the result of the decalling.

NOSW1jz.jpg
JveazD7.jpg

SrgxxEr.jpg
Β 

Β 

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 4

Tonight, the replacement 3D printed main gear legs and wheels were painted along withΒ the nose-wheel. Each were drilled with a 1.5mm hole to accept a styrene rod to help locate them into re-drilled holes in the wheel bays.Β 
They were then painted with Ocean Grey (the Frog instructions call for a blue-grey and the O/Grey is a kind of blue grey.....).

Tyres were painted the usual RevellΒ Anthracite.

The gear was TET’d in position. The gear braces were snipped off the originals and added to the wheel bay.

The wheel bay doors were then added.

The fuel tanks were attached to the outer pylons and the RedTop missiles (with the ends painted blackπŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ) were added to the inner pylons. The copied Matra Rocket pods turned out to be too large. I’ll copy the Phantom ones instead and 3D print them as they look the right size.

I made a refuelling probe out of a piece of 1.75mmΒ 3D printing filament simply straightened and sanded to a blunt point. The locating hole was enlarged and the new probe s/glued in position - I could have used TET but it probably wouldn’t have stuck the filament(PLA+) in its raw state.

Once that had set, I painted it black and added silver to the tip to denote the nozzle.Β 
There are a couple of minor thins to do and that will be the Sea Vixen finished.

Β 

Here’s where it is at - at the moment.

n02l037.jpg

fdqypsO.jpg

LyeWYU4.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 year later...