Help needed with Hawker Typhoons and Tempests ?

Novice question about 1:72 Airfix Typhoon Mk IB (A02041A)

1. The painting illustration shows two black triangles near the wingtip. Are those meant to be red/green navigation lights, but are covered over with fairings because they weren't used on frontline aircraft? Or are they simply not notched and no clear lens supplied because it's not a particularly sophisticated kit?  Or perhaps wing cameras?

I noticed on the painting chart posted previously in this conversation thread there are some white squares centre-wing in the yellow strip on the leading edge. On the Airfix box illustration it looks like those would be landing lights that have been covered over. 

2. Speaking of the clear plastic, there *is* a circular clear part (#F58) to be mounted on the underside of the fuselage just behind the wing. It seems an odd place for a landing light, is it meant to be a camera lens? 

Thanks for any advice on this.

This will be my first model build in more than 50 years and it's terrifying to see how authentic and precise the model photos posted are by members of this forum.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Norman D said:

Novice question about 1:72 Airfix Typhoon Mk IB (A02041A)

1. The painting illustration shows two black triangles near the wingtip. Are those meant to be red/green navigation lights, but are covered over with fairings because they weren't used on frontline aircraft? Or are they simply not notched and no clear lens supplied because it's not a particularly sophisticated kit?  Or perhaps wing cameras?

I noticed on the painting chart posted previously in this conversation thread there are some white squares centre-wing in the yellow strip on the leading edge. On the Airfix box illustration it looks like those would be landing lights that have been covered over. 

2. Speaking of the clear plastic, there *is* a circular clear part (#F58) to be mounted on the underside of the fuselage just behind the wing. It seems an odd place for a landing light, is it meant to be a camera lens? 

Thanks for any advice on this.

This will be my first model build in more than 50 years and it's terrifying to see how authentic and precise the model photos posted are by members of this forum.

I believe the wingtips are nav lights. The lower clear piece is most likely an IFF lens. Unfortunately not having the box in front of me, I'm not sure about the white squares question ? Dont worry about others and their builds. Just enjoy the model and build it to your standards. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 5:34 AM, Johnson said:

The car door Typhoon seems to be underrepresented in 1/72, so converting a suitable donor would seem the way to go. Having bought, and subsequently sold, the overpriced Pavla attempt, I'd certainly avoid that kit. I suppose it might provide some parts, but it would be an expensive way to go about it.

Brengun makes six different 1/72 Typhoon kits - every variant, including car-doors. They are a bit of work due to the lim-run nature, but finely detailed and very accurate (based on Arthur Bentley's drawings), and definitely easier than a major conversion. They even cover the early Mk IA with "solid" canopy fairing and 12-machine-gun wing, and the tropical trials prototype. (Beware: the shared fuselage moldings have the early small tail, so the separately molded Tempest tail for the late 4-blade-prop "sliders" requires a transplant procedure).

It appears they are all still available:

http://www.brengun.cz/e-shop/1-72-plastic-kits-28

Also, Xtradecal has two excellent Typhoon sheets - one for sliders, and one for car-doors with all the interesting early markings, including the white nose period and Operation Spartan.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MDriskill said:

Brengun makes six different 1/72 Typhoon kits - every variant, including excellent car-doors.

I have their car door- wasn't aware they did the earlier variants- there goes the kids' inheritance! :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 3

On 3/6/2021 at 10:02 PM, dogsbody said:

I have this Aviation Usk kit. Bought it many years ago.

May I ask, what's your opinion of the kit Chris?

I’ll be interested to see how this turns out.

As for accurate colour schemes, you could WHIF it. Here’s my Armee de’l Aire example, Indochina 1946

27627727219_e7e60d0b8f_b.jpg

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Somewhere between basic and crude.

Roger that, Chris! The Usk Tiffy reminds me a lot of the old Karo-As Fw-187 kit I had a long time ago- had awful brown plastic that was very brittle, but back then it was the only game in town until the MPM kit came along. The Frog Tiffy was good for its time, though. That being said, I've seen a lot of silk purses made from pigs' ears here on BM- if you've got the skills, the patience, and a decent spares bin, you can take an old kit up several notches- seems like  Frog kits are the go-to choice for kit-bashers, God bless 'em!

Mike

21 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I've seen a lot of silk purses made from pigs' ears

That one is more from the other end of the pig!

Chris

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Roger that, Chris! The Usk Tiffy reminds me a lot of the old Karo-As Fw-187 kit I had a long time ago- had awful brown plastic that was very brittle, but back then it was the only game in town until the MPM kit came along.

Usk, Karo-As and WK models apparently all were tooled and moulded in Czechoslovakia, probably all by MPM/CMK. Minicraft announced a line of kits called Checkmaster in the early 90s that never materialised (I think) but looked suspiciously like early CMK/MPM kits, e.g. XP-55.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Cheers Chris. Bit like the Pavla kit then.

I'd say worse than the Pavla. IIRC the Usk kit appeared to be a - crude - copy of the Froc offering. Definitely a short-run kit. 

At any rate, when Brengun came out with their kit, the Usk was removed from the stash.

/Finn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1