King tiger detailing , Tamiya 1/16 Modifications

As I mentioned in my introduction post. Left the hobby more than a decade ago with lots of unfinished projects on the table

Built a Hobby Hut during last years lockdown to move allmy gear into and start up the hobby again. Thought i would post a few photos of the scratch builds and mods i installed on my King Tigers.

There might be some tips that people can make use of.

1. Once you put Metal cast tracks on a Tamiya it puts way too much stress on the stock gearboxes and chassis.. To help with this i made metal plates for the rear and top of the hull and added a scratch built gear down sleave to the gear boxes.

Also with metal tracks, pivot will not work unless you gear it down. To take stress off the drive shafts in the gear box i also added a proper sleeved ball bearing to the final drive shaft plate which takes 90% of the strain off.

There are no bearings on the stock Tamiya gearboxes, just bushes.

You can also see the copper tubing exhausts for the Heng Long smoke machine that i trial fitted. (Since has been binned due to crapness) I will be building my own at some point which will produce lots more smoke)

y4mrxnUc0kxUZWKgpmxo7De9N5fUj71AV0xL6ah0

Smoke from the Heng Long unit barely visible

y4ms71w5mK9DJ51aGwRyjN05xzomZAonSE86zLGY

Drive plate without bearing

y4m5xkjpH8QBPIgXn7aDJtER4zAgorzZ1mlVq1wN

Bearing in place (Friction fit)

y4m3R-pRpQJ62NIYRAMtB2fKrMAcQtP7s79hCyie

Gear down mechanism in place ( I later added a spacer to get the motor cog in line with the gear cog)

y4mFlRaghvyQAEGebVmA9-bPZatPTc9iYfN7N9q-

People have spent hundreds of £'s buying full gear down boxes when theres just no need with this simple mod you get a much better scale speed and way more torque.

These are just aircraft motor gear downs and very cheap.

y4mn3q4-sMgTjW1wV3MZKjKIXyLwN0EycsElZ3vO

Hull mods including removable skirts (1mm screws), Scratch built tow cables, Scratch built track hangers

y4mzh-TNiVoDPD88AfJRyzlGge578mIJAvIfAlf1

y4m_gVYXbIajkdZAqYiFqSUNU0MAq5f_ADdwIWsJ

y4msfh82x7DrMUdcPP70rKiKmBwxprQYBiAaajvU

y4mUmeitkhdmvaI4vEmESKNeeYluU6IxOMSx3VZ0

y4msg3c21Rh0OTnurK5MkAf7A86I3DdO1lJQ-0zv

The power required for the smoke unit meant rearranging the internal layout to fit more batteries. Removed the speaker from its resonance box (took up almost the entire rear end of the hull) and fitted it to the interior of the turret (turret acts like an even bigger resonance box)

And a new electronics tray made.

y4mohd2LKN25ogv5TtGGKJ3FantPLwLFZTjGBu9Y

y4mRma_qF9iHTv8QOh5CI7QKB4QeXuk9L5CHvWTW

Other mods worth fitting are the Schumo coil sprung torsion bars for the road wheel suspension and Idler wheel tensioner (The ones pictured are from Kenny Kong, i dont think he trades anymore though)

y4mYYPcwLt4XagKCkjKMsTYXa7ejewaXytN6nU0s

Once happy with a particular mod,  i would transfer it to the final King Tiger

y4mGUvD28IkS3N7RaCWKjMVjHMGWusS_DmFmfeTv

Party time!

y4m6IFeSJo3poVRdedCDCFql_LlquTN8JhxnwgeC

First attempts at weathering, Tamiya acrylics and pencil graphite

y4mzOLIVMN0s2kgNL48FFqS9MJe2hjQNa4dxXT25

y4m71TYxuRl215O99OBv8xaGVFijWMqlm6D_HRID

y4mK2YgIrNMJ8G0xP82rllRa5x8Em6QeDT4SmuCo

y4mreKLkz2uf-XxMD6rYde9ie8m7dkHYRVxdi92C

Next post from me in this thread will be scratch building a smoke machine for them and a lot more weathering.

Edited by Hummel
images not hosted properly
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Julien said:

none of your pictures are showing? are you using a photo host for these?

Maybe due to using my Onedrive for hosting. i will fix it when i get back from work, Apols.

• Like 2