Airfix 1/72nd Heinkel He111P-2

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Superb paint job Heather.

Thanks Tony! Just don’t look too closely. It’s not quite as superb as I’d like. More practice required, I think.

3 minutes ago, Andreas.R said:

I have build the Revell / Hasegawa H6 version. 

Thank you Andreas. I have a couple of Italeri H-series. They probably won’t ever get built, though I have an idea for a crash diorama at some point.

20 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

almost looks like "Heathers New and slightly Used German Bombers" sale lot.

:laugh:

33 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Like it a lot.

Thank you!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Thanks, everyone! 

I should probably do a bit more weathering around the model beyond exhaust stains. Perhaps I will revisit in time, but I will need to get some better research in on which bits got chipped and how dirt built up. These planes had a hard life, but must have been maintained reasonably well.

Thick soot streaks on the underside of the wings were a special feature of the He 111 and the JuMo engines

• Like 2

Very nicely done Heather she's come out very well1

Interesting to note the differences between this and the stand alone kit. Not just the lack of stencils, but the wing walk markings are red not yellow on the other kit!

Ian

5 minutes ago, Brandy said:

but the wing walk markings are red not yellow on the other kit!

Yes, I’ve noticed that. As there was red on the sheet for the RAF markings, I wonder why they opted for yellow. *shrug*

I might feel brave enough to attempt retouching them one day.

22 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Like all of my builds, they have errors, c*ck-ups and bits I would do better if I started over. I like to think each build gets better as I learn new things.

Don’t we all. But for me anyway the journey is the reward.

• Like 1

Looks great.  A very fine paint finish and the photography immediately got me humming the opening music to the Battle of Britain film.  The 'fleet' photo shows a slight satin sheen which I think is very scale authentic.  I'd be interested to know what you use to create it?

21 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

The 'fleet' photo shows a slight satin sheen which I think is very scale authentic.  I'd be interested to know what you use to create it?

Thank you! The sheen is mostly by accident! My day job is building railway models, and I used enamels a lot for painting. I found the main paint supplier I use, Phoenix-Precision, made tins of ready mixed airbrush-ready varnish. Matt, satin and gloss, straight out of the tin. Once dry they’re are virtually bulletproof. So, once I’d finished painting a model, got it all lettered up and weathered a bit, I’d give it a blast of the PP varnish and leave it to dry.

Sometimes, if the tin's been open a while, the matt varnish tends to dry satin. 

I have had good results from Humbrol Acrylic Satin Clear, but it does need a thorough shake to get all the matting agent to mix nicely. The Heinkel was finished with W&N Galeria Matt, which I’m finding very good and easy to use. It thins nicely with plain water (I use boiled as I don’t have a supply of distilled water, and the calcium in our local tap water could be an issue) and airbrushes easily. It’s also fairly good for hairystick brushing, too. I think I will get the gloss and satin versions eventually. 

Really nice „Spaten“! Love these photographs with the backdrops! That looks really realistic! 
A wonderful collection on the last pic’s!

Cheers 

Andy 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, Heather Kay said:

Thank you! The sheen is mostly by accident! My day job is building railway models, and I used enamels a lot for painting. I found the main paint supplier I use, Phoenix-Precision, made tins of ready mixed airbrush-ready varnish. Matt, satin and gloss, straight out of the tin. Once dry they’re are virtually bulletproof. So, once I’d finished painting a model, got it all lettered up and weathered a bit, I’d give it a blast of the PP varnish and leave it to dry.

Sometimes, if the tin's been open a while, the matt varnish tends to dry satin. 

I have had good results from Humbrol Acrylic Satin Clear, but it does need a thorough shake to get all the matting agent to mix nicely. The Heinkel was finished with W&N Galeria Matt, which I’m finding very good and easy to use. It thins nicely with plain water (I use boiled as I don’t have a supply of distilled water, and the calcium in our local tap water could be an issue) and airbrushes easily. It’s also fairly good for hairystick brushing, too. I think I will get the gloss and satin versions eventually. 

Thanks Heather.  Some useful tips. 

• 4 weeks later...