A Blue Blazer **COMPLETED**

Hiya folks,

Hope everyone has been enjoying the Bank Holiday weekend and been getting plenty of bench time in.  I've noticed plenty of activity in the GB and some cracking builds going on at the  moment :thumbsup: 

I, for one, have made good use of the extra time by cracking on with my Skyhawk build and getting her that bit closer to the finish line.

In my last photo update, I'd basically completed all construction work and got her primed and pre-shaded ready for painting.  So I've moved on a fair way since then and I've been busy getting the top coats of paint put on this weekend in the form of AK Real Colors Insignia White (RC222) for the underside and upper white details and AK Real Colors Light Gull Grey (RC220) for the topside.  I'm really liking these paints - very Tamiya-esque to spray and leave a beautifully smooth and durable finish once dried.

I've also added the refuelling probe which wasn't attached in my last update as well as painting up the anti-glare panel in Revell Aqua Anthracite, painting the guns and then the exhaust in my own gun metally, steely concoction of a colour.  Then once everything was painted, I gave the whole model a coat of my favourite gloss - Alclad II Aqua Gloss.

Once the gloss coat was fully dried and cured I moved onto the decals.  I can't complain about these at all (Airfix decals usually are good these days). They went on beautifully and with the addition of some Micro Sol settled nicely into some of the awkward shapes and lumps and bumps the model has.  

So that's where I am as of about 30 mins ago and I've taken a few pics for you to get a good look at her.  So without further ado:

DSC00982

DSC00981

DSC00980

DSC00966

DSC00964

DSC00963

DSC00962

DSC00960

DSC00959

DSC00958

DSC00977

DSC00978

DSC00979

Sorry for being a bit photo heavy - just making sure I covered as many angles as possible :whistle:

So, next job will be to get the undercarriage attached to her (already been painted up ready), a gloss coat to seal all the decals in and then there'll be a light panel wash and then a matt coat before adding some very mild weathering - don't want to over dirty this one.

The last thing will be the main canopy - which all of you will be aware from earlier in my posts, is going to be open to accommodate the Quickboost seat being slightly bigger than the kit seat.

So hopefully on the home stretch now - not too much more to do to see her over the finish line 👍

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 10

Well you have been busy Kris, and doing some very nice work too.

The paint looks really good, an excellent smooth coat and with very good coverage.

The gloss coat is great too and has helped the decals go on perfectly, they have settled into the details really well.

As you say, she isn't far from being finished now.

• Like 1

That looks really nice. 

The Airfix decals do look nice, good choice. I guess these are only available in the Dog Fight box. Does that portray an actual incident, I wonder?

7 hours ago, Smudge said:

That looks really nice. 

The Airfix decals do look nice, good choice. I guess these are only available in the Dog Fight box. Does that portray an actual incident, I wonder?

Thanks very much for your kind comments @Smudge :thumbsup:

Definitely can't say anything bad about the decals - they performed fantastically.  Not sure about the portrayal of an actual incident or whether it's just a case of choosing a general Skyhawk and a general MiG 17 that would have crossed paths during the Vietnam War.  Maybe some further research is required. :hmmm:

Kris

55 minutes ago, basket said:

Very nice !

Your paint job is very neat .

Thanks @basket - much appreciated - glad you like.  The paint is AK Real Colors and as I've mentioned previously I really like these paints.  I'm fairly new to trying them out but I think they're excellent and they leave a nice smooth durable finish too. :thumbsup:

Hi,

and what a marvelous job you've done!

Absolutely pristine paint work!!!

She is going to look splendid.

Having said all that, which is the truth, I suspect you made a mistake on the paint job of the ailerons' upper surface. Look carefully at some photos, and you will see that the white is to follow the diagonal line at the wing tip. I won't tell if you don't, but in all fairness I had to mention that.

This does not detract from what I wrote above.

Great show.

JR

Thanks very much JR - that's very kind of you - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Thank you once again for keeping me right on some of the details - you have done so previously in the build and it's made such a difference so I'll certainly be taking your advice again and will make the necessary changes to the ailerons.  That's what I get for going along with Airfix's painting instructions and not double checking references!!!

Having now checked on a few reference pics since you highlighted this - is it also the case that the elevators are wrong too.  I'm assuming the white needs to extend up to cover the whole tip of the tail plane as in the photo below?

A-4C-6-768x422

Thanks once again JR - your comments, advice and feedback are always welcomed.

Regards

Kris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

I'm assuming the white needs to extend up to cover the whole tip of the tail plane as in the photo below?

You are right with this Kris, follow the picture you posted rather than Airfix's instructions.

Sorry I didn't pick up on these earlier mate.

• Like 1

Hi Kris,

you are right about the elevators and I was going to write you about them.

You did beat me to it.

I am actually not checking the Airfix paint instructions, which, as is often the case, are misleading.

There is nothing like a photo of the plane you are modeling to get the whole enchilada as per the original.

Great build so far. Keep having fun. The end is in sight.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You are right with this Kris, follow the picture you posted rather than Airfix's instructions.

Sorry I didn't pick up on these earlier mate.

Thanks very much Craig - much appreciated.  No need to be sorry - I should know better than to trust instructions without checking other references :doh:

Kris

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Kris,

you are right about the elevators and I was going to write you about them.

You did beat me to it.

I am actually not checking the Airfix paint instructions, which, as is often the case, are misleading.

There is nothing like a photo of the plane you are modeling to get the whole enchilada as per the original.

Great build so far. Keep having fun. The end is in sight.

JR

Thanks JR - between Craig and yourself that's clarified that :thumbsup:

Absolutely - note to self - ALWAYS double check references - I should definitely have known better than to trust the instructions!!

Yes, not much to do now JR - I'll correct the elevators and ailerons and I'm currently sorting the landing gear and then it will be pretty much all the finishing touches :fingerscrossed:

Kris

• Like 1

One last detail, and there is nothing you can do about it:

the tabs on the rudder should have been red instead of black... Another Airfix special...

Why am I seeing things one at a time? 

This A-4 looks great even with black tabs on rudder!!!

JR

• Like 2

The pics may not show it so well but the tab colour is actually dark blue. Now I stand to be corrected on this one JR but this Skyhawk scheme is a Blue Blazer and the references I've seen as well as the airfix instructions show the rudder tabs as dark blue. Is this not correct?

Thanks

Kris

16 hours ago, planecrazee said:

The pics may not show it so well but the tab colour is actually dark blue. Now I stand to be corrected on this one JR but this Skyhawk scheme is a Blue Blazer and the references I've seen as well as the airfix instructions show the rudder tabs as dark blue. Is this not correct?

Thanks

Kris

Hi Kris,

color schemes are an ink bottle in the absence of decent color pics.

Unfortunately I do not have any of these for an A-4B of VA-93.

I always believed the fuselage trim was black and the rudder tabs red... But I could well have been wrong for all those years! A life wasted...

Here is a URL you can look at:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A-4B_Skyhawk_of_VA-93_Det.Q_in_flight,_1964.jpg

I am sure you know this photo. The rudder tabs are way too light for dark blue. Compare them to the roundel on the nose.

Do not dismiss a groovy sense of humor: what better name than Blue Blazers for a unit not displaying any blue trim... 

Again, this is YOUR model, and do not listen to anybody if you do not want to. Your model, Your decisions.

Lovely A-4!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 2

And this one;

https://www.skyhawk.org/sites/default/files/images-buno-149647-150600/149651-va93-nf302-67hancock_mylar.jpg

And this one on a later F, note the aircraft on the right getting ready for launch with AIM-9's;

https://www.skyhawk.org/sites/default/files/images-buno-154172-154217/154178-va93-nf302-1968cva31-mk117-750lb_richard-mylar.jpg

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 1

Thanks very much to @jean, @basket and @modelling minion for your posts and information regarding this subject.

I don't know whether or not it's just me - although Craig appears to corroborate this too, but any colour pics I've seen of 'Blue Blazer' Skyhawks are just like those that Craig provided links for - all seem to show that the bands on the rudder are blue.  Admittedly there are varying degrees as to the exact shade of blue but they all show blue as opposed to red nonetheless.  As well as the pics that Craig provided links for, here is another example below:

VA-93

So rather than look to change anything further so I can get the build finished, I'll definitely leave the blue as is, especially when there appears to be pictures to back this up.

Once again - thank you all for the discussion around this - I find the researching and debate to be absolutely fascinating and I really appreciate all your comments and feedback.

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 1

Thanks Craig and you've been more than a good help :thumbsup:

Yeah you're absolutely right when it comes to research - you need to get a good balance. You need some research to help enhance your models but not to go too far so you spend all your time researching and not building anything! 

Kris

• Like 2

Hiya folks,

Hope everyone is well.  I'm hoping I'm on the home stretch with the Skyhawk now and hopefully be able to update you very soon.  She's on her own legs now which is always a good sign of progress :thumbsup:

However, I have one question that I was hoping all you fantastic BMers would be able to help with.  With respect to the Skyhawks payload, one option in the instructions is to add 1 bomb along with the 2 drop tanks.  The bomb can be seen below in the Airfix instructions:

Skyhawk Bombs

Can anyone confirm what kind of bomb this is supposed to represent and what colours it would have been.  Airfix say it should be Olive Drab but that's it.  I've tried to do some research and I can't decide whether I just can't find a pic of said bomb or if it's because the shape is incorrect.  Pics I've found seem to show slightly narrower bombs with the yellow stripes on the nose.

As always - any advice and guidance would be very greatly received :thanks:

Kris

• Like 1