A Blue Blazer **COMPLETED**

Single bomb on the centerline and looks a little chubbier than most pics you've seen?  Probably a Mk.83 (1000lb).  Same family as the more common 82, just a bit bigger.  The 500lb 82s were far and away the most common variant that was hauled like Craig mentioned...but were typically hauled in multiples on TERs & MERs when on the center or inboard stations.  

Live bombs were typically OD w/ yellow stripe on the nose.  Practice bombs (inert) would usually have a blue forward half of the body...sometimes all blue.

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Craig - really appreciated and your pic is the same as what I'd seen when researching, which as you say, does not resemble the Airfix offering at all.

Do you think it's best to just leave the bomb off the model or to just paint it up to resemble the Mk.82??

Thanks

Kris

• Like 1

Many thanks @helios16v for your comments - very much appreciated and I think, like Craig, you're absolutely right as to what the bombs should be and the 'loadout' of these which just doesn't resemble the Airfix instructions whatsoever.

Just like I asked Craig, I'd be keen to get your opinion on what you think would be the best thing to do.  Should I leave off completely or try to do a disguise job and try and make it look like a Mk.82/83 type bomb?

Many thanks

Kris

• Like 1

It really just depends on what you want.  Part of the beauty of these little birds is that they are so versatile.  You want air-air?  Go for some drops & AIM-9s (this is the direction I'm going w/ my RAN G).  Bomb truck?  What's your flavor?  500lbers, 1000lbers, snake eyes...got em.  Rocket pods for CAS?  Why not.  Guided munitions?  How about some Bullpups or Walleyes.  Iron Hand/Wild Weasel?  Shrikes are the go to.  Lots of options...I'm sure I'm forgetting several.

Found a pic of a single 500kg (similar to 1000lb) being hauled on the center station, so it's certainly been done if you wanted to go that route.  This one is hanging off a TER, but I don't think would be necessary.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/45800749@N07/35061782703/

• Like 1

Thanks again for your reply @helios16v - it really is very much appreciated :thumbsup:

The link to the pic you provided is superb - that pretty much would cover the use of the Airfix bomb provided with a little bit of modification.  I'll go with this and see what I can achieve :fingerscrossed:

Kris

• Like 2

Sorry I am a bit late replying again Kris.

I think the bomb supplied by Airfix and shown in the pic by Chris above is an Argentinian one rather than a US one though I am happy to be proven wrong. I don't think that I have any 1/72 MK.82's or you would be welcome to have some, I shall go and have a look though.

Thanks for your message Craig and absolutely no need to be apologising. The fact that you've been kind enough to reply is what I'm very grateful for. Yes, that would explain a lot as the bomb just seems out of place although I have tried to modify the kit bomb as per the discussion with @helios16v and think it will be better than nothing. Thank you for offering to send me the correct bomb if you had one - that's really going above and beyond 👍 This is why I love BM - proper community spirit 😁

Kris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks again for your reply @helios16v - it really is very much appreciated :thumbsup:

The link to the pic you provided is superb - that pretty much would cover the use of the Airfix bomb provided with a little bit of modification.  I'll go with this and see what I can achieve :fingerscrossed:

Kris

I found this, scroll down to the Argentinian section, it might help ?

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=55355.0 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya folks,

Hope everyone is keeping well and that you're all well on the way to getting your Skyhawks finished - there's some crackers in the gallery so far :thumbsup: 

So, I've been able to make some progress with mine and have pretty much got her to the very last stage now which will be to give her a Matt coat, attach the canopy and then some very subtle weathering with oils.

Since my last update (including me quizzing my fellow BMers about bombs), I've managed to make the amendments to the ailerons and elevators as far as the white paint is concerned (see below)

DSC00986

The white paint is now in the correct place - thanks once again to @jean for pointing this out - it's the little things that really add to the detail :thumbsup:

I've pushed on and got all the landing gear and doors in place 

DSC00988

DSC00989

You can see also from the photo above, I've attached the aforementioned bomb (adapted as best I could to make it look slightly more acceptable), and I've attached the two drop tanks to each wing which really starts to make her look busy as well as very heavily laden for such a small an delicate looking aircraft!!

You can also see form the above pics, as well as these below, in order to make the details pop more I've given her a panel line wash (a mix of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber oils).  I chose those two colours to try and make the panel lines slightly more harmonious with the colour scheme to give a greyish blue tint rather than a stark black.

DSC00987

DSC00983

Lastly, as you can see in the pic above, I also attached the front section of the canopy.

And I think that's it.  So hopefully my next update should be my last and should see her completed and ready for the gallery.  Fingers crossed and all being well, I'd like to have her in the gallery before the weekend which should segue perfectly into taking on my next build for the Bf 109 STGB :fingerscrossed:

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 8

She looks fantastic Kris.

The wash works very well in highlighting the panel lines and details without being too stark.

I really like this scheme, a great choice by both Airfix for covering it and your good self for reproducing it, and I am very glad that you will get her finished in time and in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

She looks fantastic Kris.

The wash works very well in highlighting the panel lines and details without being too stark.

I really like this scheme, a great choice by both Airfix for covering it and your good self for reproducing it, and I am very glad that you will get her finished in time and in the gallery.

Thanks for those very kind comments Craig - it's very much appreciated  :thumbsup:

I totally agree with you about the scheme - I think it's really eye-catching and all the colours and patterns really make it pop.  I'm also glad to be getting her to the finish line so I can get her in the gallery - definitely didn't want to miss out at this late stage. 

Kris 

• Like 1

Hi Kris,

great Skyhawk all around! Lovely scheme and weathering just right.

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Kris,

great Skyhawk all around! Lovely scheme and weathering just right.

Congrats!

JR

Thanks JR - much appreciated.  I'm looking forward to seeing your completed build too :thumbsup:

Kris

• Like 1

Hiya folks,

Hope everyone's well.

This is just a very quick post to say that I've got her finished - all is complete with the last little bits and pieces having been sorted/added and she's now in the gallery and ready for inspection.

Massive thanks to Craig @modelling minion for hosting a fantastic GB which I have thoroughly enjoyed.  I've found all the advice, tips and supportive feedback to be fantastic and I'm loving all the superb builds that are in the gallery so far.

Now I'm off to concentrate on another GB - my entry in the Bf109 STGB - the work and the fun never ends :thumbsup:

Kris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• planecrazee changed the title to A Blue Blazer **COMPLETED**

Well done Kris the pictures in the gallery look great.

You really have achieved an excellent result with the Airfix kit and the markings look great.

Thank you for your really kind words mate, I am really glad that you have enjoyed the GB and great to see that you are taking part in other GB's, and thank you for having taken part in this GB and producing such a great model.

Very well done.

Thanks very much Craig - really appreciated - you're definitely too kind 

You're very welcome as praise is deserved for your GB hosting - it's been a pleasure - and thanks again for all your help and advice :goodjob:

Look forward to your next GB Craig - hopefully it'll be as enjoyable as this one has been

Best wishes

Kris

• Thanks 1