WIP Photoshop paintings

MarkSH

Hi all,

Here are a couple of WIP digital paintings.

The first is based around my own basic 3D geometry of a Hurricane which I recently rediscovered on an old Hard drive, it was originally put together for an oil painting commission for a work colleague. The digital painting is not meant to be a specific event just an opportunity to practice with a newly acquired graphics tablet and stylus in conjunction with photoshop (a software I have avoided for far too long) and a brand new laptop that is man enough to cope with the graphics.  I have made a tracing of the models on a different layer, adding further detail in the process. Generally I am treating it as closely as possible to the traditional painting process except with the use of 'Ctrl+Z' which I wish would have worked with oils! so its pure pixel application with some limited brushes: There are a lot of similarities in the process but its a lot cleaner, less smelly, takes up less space and can be put away a lot easier:

51000385786_15120b9d20_b.jpg

Early days yet, but only a few hours to get to this stage.

the second effort is not aviation but a similar process and a subject that I visited for a recent group build, the movie Bullitt.

50999707663_cfc1cda55b_b.jpg

This time the models were from a third party source and again used as basis for a drawing. A slightly different approach with the use of some textures (road surface) but again mainly painting with pixels.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mike said:

That's stupidly impressive :worthy: If I had the time and the skill, I'd be a very happy man.

Couldn't agree more Mike!

Great work Mark, please post any more progress, and the finished artworks! Particularly like the Bullitt painting!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nils said:

Very nice work, especially fond of the road scene! What do you base your work on, photos or 3D models or perhaps modelkits?

Hi Nils, both the above are based around 3d models. The Hurricanes are my own geometry created in Rhino, the cars are by other creators and are very low poly models but have a reasonably accurate shape, certainly good enough to base a drawing around and again they were posed in Rhino. I try to avoid using photos as a basis for paintings either digital or otherwise, the old saying that the camera never lies is quite frankly a crock! using 3D models and a reasonably capable modelling software you can adjust the virtual camera lens, focal length etc. to get exactly the viewpoints you need, in a way its not dissimilar to the old 3-view projection method that aviation artists used to use. I have used models before as well but again I never managed to get the right angle or local length but I have worked with a model of the subject in front of me for reference.

Cheers,

Mark.

I see thanks for that. One of the real benefits with 3D is that you can easily change the wieving angle and direction of the object.

But 3D, photo or whatever source, one still have to use ones skills to do the painting and I think you do it well..