Tamiya 1/35 M3 Lee

Thanks for the suggestions chap's but I may have found a solution.....I've seen the same kit cheap on ebay and the tracks and decals look to be perfect 🙂👍

Well I said I like these Tamiya kits so I've been shopping 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That will do for now. I enjoy retail therapy very uplifting 🙂👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

So today I've hit upon a problem with the M3 🙄. The kit tracks were unusable due to the fact they broke up when handling, @M3talpig Steve kindly offered to send me some spares he has in the stash but research on the Internet tells me they won't fit the Tamiya sprocket which is obviously a problem. So does anyone know of a track set that will fit the sprocket or a different sprocket maybe 🤔. I really don't want to have to park this build on the shelf of doom even if it's a cheap kit id really like to finish it off if possible. So if anyone out there can help i would really appreciate it 🙂 👍

Andy will post Monday so there on my desk ...i might have some sprockets in the spares box....let me have a dig around and if i have i will post with the tracks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

Andy will post Monday so there on my desk ...i might have some sprockets in the spares box....let me have a dig around and if i have i will post with the tracks

Thanks Steve that's a great offer thank you 🙂👍

• Like 1

Just now, Andy J said:

Thanks Steve that's a great offer thank you 🙂👍

Right found two sets of sprockets and a set of rubber band style that are correct for the Lee i'm sure with some mild alterations you should be able to get something working.

• Like 2

The old Tamiya Stuart builds up well mate, I did one a few years back.

The old photo bucket debacle has probably ruined the thread but you might salvage some useful tips mate. 

Dan 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Right found two sets of sprockets and a set of rubber band style that are correct for the Lee i'm sure with some mild alterations you should be able to get something working.

Brilliant top man Steve thanks 🙂👍

10 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

The old Tamiya Stuart builds up well mate, I did one a few years back.

The old photo bucket debacle has probably ruined the thread but you might salvage some useful tips mate. 

Dan 

Great stuff thanks Dan much appreciated 👍 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Great paint job Andy !!

Looking forward to the weathering ;)

Thanks Lee good to hear from you mate 👍. The weathering will be kept subtle on this one don't want to go OTT With the dust and dirt 🙂👍

• Like 1

So thanks to @M3talpig It seems I have a solution to my track issues. A pair of sprockets with slightly wider teeth than the Tamiya ones means that the afv tracks will fit the sprockets nicely. I may have to enlarge the connection holes on the sprockets slightly but other than that it looks like i have a plan 🙂. I also have the miniart tracks on the way so I may join up a few of the links and if they fit the sprocket I will have two choices of track to play with 🙂. The key is definitely the slightly different sprocket so thanks Steve much appreciated 👍. Work will keep me busy now till the weekend but then I will crack on and get this build finished. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 5

So I've finally managed to get back to the bench today and the M3 now has tracks 🙂. The tracks turned out to be a bit of a challenge tbh but they are in place and i think they look ok. I've added a bit of weathering and I need to add a couple of decals but this build should be finished tomorrow 🙂. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So a small amount of work left to do and a bit more weathering and I can move onto the Pzr III GB. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, echen said:

Very nice. The tracks look good, as does the subtle weathering. Just right. 👍 👏 👏 👏

Thanks Echen I didn't want to cover this one in mud, dust etc just a small amount of weathering and I'm happy with the results. The tracks look ok not perfect but considering they are rubber bands I'm happy with the way they look 🙂👍

Looks great from over here!

Think it's one of your best so far, really like what you've done with it, think the tracks look fine too btw.

Nice work mate. 👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Think it's one of your best so far, really like what you've done with it, think the tracks look fine too btw.

Nice work mate. 👍

Seconded! Excellent work. Andy, your Lee looks simply fantastic, great painting and weathering job!

Vytautas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice work mate. 👍

Thanks Darryl and I agree with you because I actually think it's the best armour build I've done so far. The whole idea behind me building these classic kit's is to build them OOB. If that means using rubber band tracks then so be it infact i doubt i could make the tracks look any better if id used any other type of tracks . A couple of finishing touches and it's time for the Pzr lll build which I'm looking forward to starting, though my choice of kit has changed from my original choice 😉👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vytautas said:

Seconded! Excellent work. Andy, your Lee looks simply fantastic, great painting and weathering job!

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas this one has taken longer than usual but I'm happy with the results so far 🙂👍

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Good to see it with it's boots on !...looks great, spot on..:)

Thanks for the comment much appreciated mate 👍 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Bar raised again!

Nothing wrong with the tracks at all and the finish is superb

Stay safe            Roger

Thanks Roger I've really enjoyed building this old classic 🙂👍

32 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Nice neat work Andy, looks lovely, nicely painted and weathered, great job...

Ed

Thanks Ed not quite finished yet but I'm happy with the results so far 🙂👍